Torque Wrenches...

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2019, 11:08 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Torque Wrenches...

Hello All!

What torque wrenches are you all using? I am looking at a Tekton 24335 for its overall good review, but I'd like to see what you all are using to compare notes! Thanks!

Bryon
Old April 5th, 2019, 11:19 AM

I have the Tekton 24330 3/8" drive torque wrench. It's great! I also have a 1/2" drive Crapsman deflection style torque wrench that is a POS.
Old April 5th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Check out Husky wrenches from Home Depot. They are not digital, but the are the "click type" and supposed to be within 4% accurate. Most others claim 6%. H2DTWA and H3DTWA I think are the Home Depot numbers. .
Old April 5th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

I have an old, all metal, US-made Craftsman 1/2" and it works great. Unfortunately, the only way to get one today is used. I've also got a 3/8 drive inch-lb unit and a 3 foot long, 3/4 drive Proto that I got for $80. I use the latter on balancer bolts and my tractor.
Old April 5th, 2019, 12:01 PM

I bought both 3/8 and a 1/2 " click style torque wrenches from Lowes a couple years ago for my son. I checked them with a electronic read out torque checker from Harbor Freight and they were right on the money.
Old April 5th, 2019, 12:12 PM

Another point to consider..... readability when setting the torque wrench. If they are hard to see, you won't like it when try setting it in lower light situations in the garage/shop.
Old April 5th, 2019, 12:43 PM

1/2" quality click type. Funny enough, i have like 5 times cheaper beam-type 1/2" torque wrench, and i actually prefer beam-type more than click-type. And it shows about same.
Old April 5th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
If they are hard to see, you won't like it when try setting it in lower light situations in the garage/shop.
Sadly, I'm finding that the wrench isn't what's causing the "readability" problem...
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have a 1/2" that probably none of you have ever heard of. It is a Hazet which is made in Germany. It is very high quality. Back in 1984 the grandson of the owner of the company spent six weeks with us. His grandfather's company was a supplier to one of our back customers and it was an accommodation to them since our son was near the same age. He was an extremely nice kid and gave me the torque wrench as a gift. I also have a craftsman 3/8" that I bought used from somebody on this board. Both are breakaway. Here is a link to the Hazet site.

https://www.hazet.de/en/
Old April 5th, 2019, 04:59 PM

I have two points when it comes to torque wrenches:
1) Never buy the type like the cheap Harbor Freight with the adjustment lock on the bottom of the handle for frequent use. That adjustment screw always locks up and just slows you down. I do use those in 1/4 and 3/8 because I very seldom need those sizes.
2) Use a digital strain calibration gauge regardless of the torque wrench when doing something critical. They're super cheap now and super accurate. This is also important because the method in which you use a torque wrench, especially clickers, affects the actual torque applied to the fastener. So the gauge lets you practice on a bench vise.

Beyond that, to me, brand/style/cost/whatever don't particularly matter. Any wrench that stays together will operate predictably right after setting with a gauge.

Bonus point: Beam is required for super delicate jobs, like setting pinion preload, but can be a real bear when talking about >80ftlbs.
Old April 5th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Administrator

.have an old Craftsman click type 1/2 inch drive. The only bolts I ever torque are rotating assy, head bolts, and lug nuts (aluminum wheels). The others I get good and tight.
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:54 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Originally Posted by oddball
1) Never buy the type like the cheap Harbor Freight with the adjustment lock on the bottom of the handle for frequent use. That adjustment screw always locks up and just slows you down. I do use those in 1/4 and 3/8 because I very seldom need those sizes.
2) Use a digital strain calibration gauge regardless of the torque wrench when doing something critical. They're super cheap now and super accurate. This is also important because the method in which you use a torque wrench, especially clickers, affects the actual torque applied to the fastener. So the gauge lets you practice on a bench vise.

Beyond that, to me, brand/style/cost/whatever don't particularly matter. Any wrench that stays together will operate predictably right after setting with a gauge.

Bonus point: Beam is required for super delicate jobs, like setting pinion preload, but can be a real bear when talking about >80ftlbs.
Thanks Oddball! Can you give me a good example of a "digital strain calibration gauge" please?
Old April 5th, 2019, 06:54 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Thanks everyone! Feel free to keep posting - I learn something in every post!
Old April 5th, 2019, 07:01 PM

I have a beam style KD Tools inch-pound torque wrench for pinion preload use. I also use it for torquing the valve cover bolts - I never did that before buying the wrench, but now I use it all the time.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:12 PM

I own a total of six snap on torque wrenches. 3 for at home and 3 for at work. For work I have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sadly, I'm finding that the wrench isn't what's causing the "readability" problem...
I know about that "readability" problem, I have it also. I have also had to use torque wrenches that were not marked well. I have been in situations under huge machinery with two sizes of bolts to torque where climbing up and out to see markings on a torque wrench was what is humorously called "inconvenient".

OH YES, they frequently screw up. No matter what brand they are. This is a big deal.

You might be right. I need to get a very low IN/LB torque wrench the set the clutch springs, Zener diode and other parts on old British motorcycles. You just can't get proper clutch release, trust me, I am done trying to count turns from contact.

Originally Posted by 1968CutlassSupreme
Thanks everyone! Feel free to keep posting - I learn something in every post!
You have the wisdom of some very smart and experienced people on here.
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:36 PM

KD Tools 2955
0-60 in-lbs

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kdt-2955
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:57 PM

Kenneth, thanks. I put that on my "shopping list".
Old April 6th, 2019, 06:45 AM

Bryon, the best torque wrench is useless unless proper torqueing procedures are followed. Lots of Youtube info and Google search. The factory used motor oil as a lube but other lubes can change the torque requirements. Dial beams were considered the most accurate. My local machine shop used a Snap On electronic that chirps when torque is reached. Torque wrenches should be calibrated periodically to ensure accuracy. Good luck, video shows factory assembly using machine which torques all head bolts at once.

Old April 6th, 2019, 07:45 AM

I use a variety of Snap on and Proto "click" wrenches at my work, and they are very easy to use, they are also very expensive and do occasionally have accuracy issues when sent in for annual calibration. However years ago one of my friends had "upgraded" his torque wrenches and was trying to sell a couple of beam type 1/2" Craftsman wrenches at a swap meet and they did not sell. Thinking that they were worthless, he gave them to me and I took them into work to check the accuracy, they were dead on accurate. Many times newer technology applied to tools is a beautiful thing but comes at the cost of higher pricing and a more complex system with more points of failure and a higher probability of problems. I kind of feel like I "hit the jackpot" with these wrenches because aside from the fact of being gratis, they are so simple that it is unlikely that I'll ever need to replace or repair them.
Old April 6th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Administrator

I'll add, you want to leave click style torque wrenches set at 0 lbs when stored.
Old April 6th, 2019, 09:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

We have certainly had an education on torque wrenches. I was thinking of the first engine I ever built which was a 265 SBC when I was in high school in 1963. I probably didn't even know what a torque wrench was and it stayed together.
Old April 6th, 2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'll add, you want to leave click style torque wrenches set at 0 lbs when stored.
This is a VERY IMPORTANT point. Thank you for reminding us.
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Lansing built

I will third the zero out of the clickers! I have 3/8" and 1/2" clickers both MAC tools. The local rep lives 1/2 mile from my house.

Pat
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:39 PM

I've got both a 3/8" and a 1/2" Snap-On clicker types that came with two full tool boxes at a garage sale. Clickers always disengaged before they get wiped down and re-boxed. I also have an old-school Craftsman beam type.
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1968CutlassSupreme
Thanks Oddball! Can you give me a good example of a "digital strain calibration gauge" please?
Sure:
Amazon Amazon
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I have 5 Snap On torque wrenches. 3 click types (1/4, 2 - 3/8), and 2 digitals (3/8, 1/2). Both digitals lights up, vibrates and makes a long beeping sound when it gets to that torque setting. No more readability problems unless you're blind, deaf or have no feelings in your hands.
Old April 8th, 2019, 07:59 AM

I have a number of beam style including J H Williams, Plomb, Craftsman, S K Wayne, some others. I have been meaning to find one by P A Sturtevant, once in a famous name in precision fastener assembly. Also a Snap-On clicker which I have used for non-critical head bolt work. One thing in a discussion about the type to use, the clicker style in my opinion does not give you a good sense of when the fastener is starting to stretch, a much better feel for this with beam style wrenches. I think actually miking rod bolts for stretch along with or perhaps instead of torquing to spec, as is commonly done in race engine preparation today, started with Rolls-Royce. Even SPS bolts which pass magnaflux can really stretch in the threads and still get close to the torque spec.

And then this:

Bureau Of Aeronautics, Apco Mossberg Co. Attleboro Mass U.S.A. - HC-5 USN SN-6.

I thought I'd show feet for foot pounds.

Old April 8th, 2019, 08:19 AM

I'm glad we weren't discussing measurement of cracks!
Old April 8th, 2019, 09:42 AM

I have an older Craftsman but the one use is a Wright Tool model 4477. It's came with a certificate of calibration, made in 2012.
Old April 9th, 2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ELY442
I have 5 Snap On torque wrenches. 3 click types (1/4, 2 - 3/8), and 2 digitals (3/8, 1/2). Both digitals lights up, vibrates and makes a long beeping sound when it gets to that torque setting. No more readability problems unless you're blind, deaf or have no feelings in your hands.
Does it give you a cigarette and thank you for the good time....Tedd
Old April 9th, 2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Does it give you a cigarette and thank you for the good time....Tedd
As long you're a good boy, you'll get a happy ending
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:02 PM

Snap-On 1/2 inch clicker and Craftsman 3/8 inch clicker for my home tools. Bought them back when I was twisting wrenches for a living. Always set them to zero when through with them. Always use the shortest extension and always support the pivot for the most accurate and repeatable torque. Harbor Freight 1/4 inch clicker for work used mainly for torquing battery posts. It's close enough...
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I have a Matco click type, and a snap on Beam type. I prefer the beam type Both get recalibrated and certified every 2 years.
Old April 11th, 2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I have a Matco click type, and a snap on Beam type. I prefer the beam type Both get recalibrated and certified every 2 years.
I just gotten my Snap On 3/8" clicker calibrated last week.
Old April 12th, 2019, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
II need to get a very low IN/LB torque wrench the set the clutch springs, Zener diode and other parts on old British motorcycles.
Ralph, here is a torque wrench I got recently to torque small fasteners on a diesel injection pump rebuild:

Amazon Amazon