Heater core Replacement

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2019, 08:35 AM

Heater core Replacement

My 65 cutlass heater core measures 11"x6"x2". I removed it due to leaks. Bought a replacement from OPGI. It was shorter than the original so I had to fab a mounting system. Now it leaks as well! I would like to find a same size replacement OR have my original repaired. Any thoughts out there? Thanks!
Old March 1st, 2019, 09:00 AM

I would try a radiator repair shop.
Old March 1st, 2019, 01:48 PM

Yes, find a good radiator shop, and have it fixed. I just had mine done about 6 month ago. Most of the aftermarket ones I looked at were a lot cheaper, but were alum, not brass. Shop said the brass is much better, and he could of sold me a alum, but did not recommend one.
Old March 1st, 2019, 03:16 PM
Olds Fever

Definitely look for a good radiator repair shop in your area... Also, how long ago did you replace the old one with the OPGI core... Any warranty opportunity...
Old March 1st, 2019, 05:39 PM

I just went through this a couple of months ago. The original core in my WIfe's Riviera gave it up after 30 years and was replaced with a parts store one. Well 3 years later that one started leaking I ended up finding a NOS one on Ebay. Payed close to $80 for it but if it lasts as long as the original it will outlast me.

That would be my first choice if you can stand some time searching for one. Either that or an old stock replacement one from back in the day.

To the guys that say take it to a radiator shop. . . . . good luck finding one of those. At least not a decent one. None in my area any more that I know of. Even if there was, if cores are not available there isn't much they can do anyway.
Old March 1st, 2019, 06:20 PM

Actually I found a good radiator shop 8 miles from me. I had my 1964 Olds Starfire radiator re-cored and pressure tested. I will pull the heater core out this spring and have that re-cored and pressure tested also. The radiator fits right back in the same place as where it came out. Any good radiator shop will know where to get the cores, mine did. If you don't have a good radiator shop next door, you'll have to find one.
.......Just my two cents worth.
Old March 1st, 2019, 08:30 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by BillK
To the guys that say take it to a radiator shop. . . . . good luck finding one of those. At least not a decent one. None in my area any more that I know of. Even if there was, if cores are not available there isn't much they can do anyway.
Not a problem here, one located one mile from my house as well as a couple more in Albany...
Old March 3rd, 2019, 06:17 AM

Hi,

I got a new brass on from year one, afew years ago, at the time was the only supplier offering one, though I did pull one of the tubes out removing a heater hose.

Regards,
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:37 PM

There is a great deal of cost savings in the repair of semi truck radiators over replacement so you may have more luck finding a shop that can repair a real brass radiator by searching for something along those lines. They may balk at the small size of the job, but they will have the tools and knowledge to do the job. Just a thought...