Has anyone converted a 307 to EFI?

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2018, 01:48 PM

Has anyone converted a 307 to EFI?

First off, I know the only upgrade for the 307 is a bigger engine.

But I am curious if anyone has done it. Let's say a bigger engine is in the future one day and you want it to run EFI. Until you've saved the funds to build or have someone build it, you can prep the car for the transplant. Rear end, exhaust, radiator, etc. So why not EFI if that is the direction? Fuel lines, fuel pump/tank, computer, distributor, throttle body injection (maybe with the option to upgrade to sequential later). New engine arrives and everything "bolts on".

Also eliminates the CCC system, so it is one less headache. This means the transmission has alternative lockup already figured out and the A/C clutch.

Or even simpler, what if the ECM kicks the bucket and you don't want to revert it to standard carb?

Has anyone ever tried this?

I'm happy my CCC system runs fine, but I know if it ever goes then it becomes a job to get it operational again. If the effort and money starts, might as well upgrade.
Old December 4th, 2018, 05:43 PM

That’s pretty much what I did but some parts can’t be done beforehand, ie, distributor and pump to mention a couple. Some only work one way or the other.
Old December 9th, 2018, 09:25 PM

I also thought of it. What happens if the ECM goes kaput? (not only the Olds but the other keeper Alfa I have). I thought of buying a spare ECM but they are rare, expensive but also old at the same time. Electronic bits can go bad with time. Then I came across this website (search 'module experts'). Not sure about their service but they seem to remake ECMs with a warranty at a reasonable price.

But I am also interested in any less expensive options.
Old December 9th, 2018, 09:29 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by kuseetha
I also thought of it. What happens if the ECM goes kaput? (not only the Olds but the other keeper Alfa I have). I thought of buying a spare ECM but they are rare, expensive but also old at the same time. Electronic bits can go bad with time. Then I came across this website (search 'module experts'). Not sure about their service but they seem to remake ECMs with a warranty at a reasonable price.

But I am also interested in any less expensive options.
Oops..these guys have terrible reviews!!
Old January 4th, 2019, 07:28 AM

The last thing I'd do is mess with tech that old, even if it is remanufactured. It seems like such a shot in the dark, and how long it lasts before the same problem comes round again is the other issue.
Been spending more time looking at Holley's EFI Quadrajet throttle body and Dual Sync Distributors. Hopefully the 307 will last long enough before the 455 is ready.
Old January 4th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by steel-and-fire
Or even simpler, what if the ECM kicks the bucket and you don't want to revert it to standard carb?
Despite the fact that it's usually the first thing people replace when troubleshooting, the ECU almost never goes bad. It's nearly always something else. If the CCC system bothers you, a used Qjet and conventional distributor can be installed for under $100. You'll throw away MUCH more than that on parts needed for converting the 307 that can't be reused on the 455. I'd suggest stop worrying about this, tune the CCC, and devote your attention to the real motor.
Old January 4th, 2019, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by steel-and-fire
First off, I know the only upgrade for the 307 is a bigger engine.

But I am curious if anyone has done it. Let's say a bigger engine is in the future one day and you want it to run EFI. Until you've saved the funds to build or have someone build it, you can prep the car for the transplant. Rear end, exhaust, radiator, etc. So why not EFI if that is the direction? Fuel lines, fuel pump/tank, computer, distributor, throttle body injection (maybe with the option to upgrade to sequential later). New engine arrives and everything "bolts on".

Also eliminates the CCC system, so it is one less headache. This means the transmission has alternative lockup already figured out and the A/C clutch.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I'm happy my CCC system runs fine, but I know if it ever goes then it becomes a job to get it operational again. If the effort and money starts, might as well upgrade.
I don't know what it's like to find parts for it, But a 1976 thru '79
Cadillac Seville had a 350 Olds Motor that was fuel injected.
Old January 4th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
I don't know what it's like to find parts for it, But a 1976 thru '79
Cadillac Seville had a 350 Olds Motor that was fuel injected.
The Seville motor used a prehistoric port injection system with an ancient ANALOG computer. It didin't even have an O2 sensor. Replacement parts are nearly impossible to find and nothing is common with newer port injection systems - even the injectors are unique to that application. Installing this on a 307 is a MAJOR undertaking and will cost waaaay more than you think. Of course, you can to all that work but the reality is that the stock Seville EFI intake flows worse than an Olds 2bbl manifold.

If you do have any interest in this system, this website has info of the work someone did nearly 20 years ago to put it on a 403. I've actually got one of these intakes and the special distributor, more as a collector's item than anything else.

Old January 4th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

By the way, since this thread has diverted into esoteric factory EFI systems, I thought I'd just throw this picture out there...

Old January 4th, 2019, 03:19 PM

I have the engine and intake from a 78 Seville. it has he aluminum intake on it. it didn't work well in that car.
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Seville motor used a prehistoric port injection system with an ancient ANALOG computer. It didin't even have an O2 sensor. Replacement parts are nearly impossible to find and nothing is common with newer port injection systems - even the injectors are unique to that application. Installing this on a 307 is a MAJOR undertaking and will cost waaaay more than you think. Of course, you can to all that work but the reality is that the stock Seville EFI intake flows worse than an Olds 2bbl manifold.

If you do have any interest in this system, this website has info of the work someone did nearly 20 years ago to put it on a 403. I've actually got one of these intakes and the special distributor, more as a collector's item than anything else.

That car doesn't have a complete Seville system . I kind of figured parts for that early system were hard to find. I would look for a complete Cadillac and swipe everything if I wanted to do a FI conversion.
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

That car doesn't have a complete Seville system . I kind of figured parts for that early system were hard to find. I would look for a complete Cadillac and swipe everything if I wanted to do a FI conversion.
Adapting the Seville system will cost more and perform worse than a FITech system. None of these options make any sense for the OP's situation. I'm surprised no one commented on the SBO TBI intake I posted.
Old January 4th, 2019, 05:59 PM

There is a manifold with the throttle body, fuel rail, injectors and the ECM on Fleabay right now for like 300.00.I always wondered how one of those Sevilles would perform with a 10 to 1 compression. In stock form they ran pretty good.
Old January 4th, 2019, 06:37 PM

There is a manifold with the throttle body, fuel rail, injectors and the ECM on Fleabay right now for like 300.00..
Thats about $500 too much😎
Old January 5th, 2019, 04:42 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Adapting the Seville system will cost more and perform worse than a FITech system. None of these options make any sense for the OP's situation. I'm surprised no one commented on the SBO TBI intake I posted.
I seriously considered buying one of those 307 TBI intakes when one went up for sale. There was a 87 442 that also was for sale locally. That along with a sbc 305 TBI set up would have been interesting to play with, was thinking a larger TBI and maybe a custom prom. I probably would have milled the heads to bump compression a bit, added shorty headers and a custom Y pipe. I would have tried to make it look factory to confuse anyone looking under the hood.
Old January 5th, 2019, 06:13 AM

If the OP were to install FiTech or Holley Sniper EFI it could easily be used later with a different engine. Early factory fuel injection would undoubtedly function worse than the CCC Qjet or aftermarket EFI. Although, an early factory fuel injection setup would definitely be cool. Sort of like an Oldsmobile diesel.
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:20 AM

I had a CCC system on my 88 Caprice 305. It worked very well. The TPS did go after 10 years so I disassembled, cleaned and regasketeted the carb since it had to come apart anyway. If you can get the parts I would leave it.
Old January 11th, 2019, 08:34 AM

About 2 years ago, after troubleshooting my CCC 307 and deciding that the only other possible cause of an intermittent cut out of the engine was the ECM, I went to Rock Auto and ordered a "rebuilt" unit. It did exactly the same thing as the original,so, you would say, that was the wrong "guess". Lucky for me, a friend had a similar parts car that had been sitting outside rusting for quite a few years with it's original ECM still in place. Well, you guessed it, that parts car ECM worked great and the problem was solved once I swapped the original PROM.
After looking closely at the circuit boards in both the original and the "rebuilt" unit, I noticed that they were both a little overheated in the same areas. Conclusion: I don't see how much "rebuilding" could be done for the price the "rebuilt" units are being sold at.

To me that new Holly Sniper to replace a Quadrajet sounds like a good idea. Either that or just transplant an LS. LOL.
Old January 11th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
About 2 years ago, after troubleshooting my CCC 307 and deciding that the only other possible cause of an intermittent cut out of the engine was the ECM, I went to Rock Auto and ordered a "rebuilt" unit. It did exactly the same thing as the original,so, you would say, that was the wrong "guess".
The ECM almost never goes bad, yet people waste hundreds of dollars replacing them. More likely is a corroded or dirty connection, and disconnecting the plugs while swapping the ECM is what usually does the trick. Of course, the person making the repair assumes the new ECM "fixed" the problem.
Old January 11th, 2019, 09:04 AM

The ECM almost never goes bad, yet people waste hundreds of dollars replacing them. More likely is a corroded or dirty connection, and disconnecting the plugs while swapping the ECM is what usually does the trick. Of course, the person making the repair assumes the new ECM "fixed" the problem.
Joe, all the connections looked ok and nothing cracked or corroded or overheated and burnt. And don't forget, the "rebuilt" unit didn't work either and, in fact, had the same occasional engine cutout as the original and also the same overheated area on the circuit board. Oh, and the problem hasn't returned since. And, of course, I disconnected and reconnected the ECM and the distributor many times before I took that step.. That was just about the only option left. With this primitive computer system, no trouble codes were present and operating data was normal.
Old January 11th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hammerdrop
Joe, all the connections looked ok and nothing cracked or corroded or overheated and burnt. And don't forget, the "rebuilt" unit didn't work either and, in fact, had the same occasional engine cutout as the original and also the same overheated area on the circuit board. Oh, and the problem hasn't returned since. And, of course, I disconnected and reconnected the ECM and the distributor many times before I took that step.. That was just about the only option left. With this primitive computer system, no trouble codes were present and operating data was normal.
I wasn't suggesting this was the problem in your case. That was a general comment.
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:43 AM

I get it Joe. I would like to really like to hear from someone who replaced a CCC system with the new Holley Sniper Quadrajet. That would be interesting. The hardest part would be the fuel pump, but even that might not be too bad with that hydramat that Holley sells for a pickup in the tank.
Old January 12th, 2019, 08:09 AM

My ECM had drops of water follow the wiring harness to the board. Luckily the service station I used to work at got me one at their cost. I tucked it up against the firewall on the passenger side. Any water, which was very little, dripped off the harness before having a chance to get inside the unit, problem solved. I told my friend who I sold the car to not to put the ECM back to its original location.
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:14 AM

I haven't installed EFI on my Olds but I've read positive reviews on both FiTech and Holley Sniper. I considered picking one up at the Summit store in TX around Thanksgiving on discount. Unfortunately, they never put those units on sale. They were only selling the Summit EFI system.
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I am not sure many of those Summit EFI's are selling. Having no timing control and they are obviously EFI also limits the market as well.
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:25 AM

Yeah, I never really considered the Summit EFI. I used a Summit HEI distributor and the Summit carburetor on my Olds and they're both merely fair to middlin'. From now on I'm going think twice before I buy Summit brand parts.
Old January 13th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Any issues in particular with them? I know the Summit carb is basically an old Holley design.
Old January 13th, 2019, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Any issues in particular with them? I know the Summit carb is basically an old Holley design.
I think it’s actually the old Ford/Motorcraft design.
Most of the Summit brand stuff is ok. But it’s just about all made overseas. It all comes down to quality control and what people are actually willing to pay.
Old January 13th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

I think it’s actually the old Ford/Motorcraft design.
Actually, the Summit M2008 carb is simply a licensed version of the defunct Holley 4010 carb, which itself was an update to the ancient Autolite 4100 carb.

Old January 13th, 2019, 10:23 AM

I thought we were talking EFI here.........
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

We are, well mostly. Joe as usual points out something important on the Summit carb. The Motorcraft 4100 was about the only Motorcraft carb anyone speaks highly of. Nearly all the rest are very hated, for good reasons. One thing good about the Summit EFI is the limp home mode. Hopefully it doesn't go pig rich like the CCC set up does but I would guess it depends on which sensor fails.
Old January 14th, 2019, 07:39 AM

Joe does have some kookie stuff on the shelf unless he just has a vast photo album. He is surely a walking compendium.