Engine Help/Question

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Engine Help/Question

I need advice in the spring I will start up work again on my 64 bare bones F85 330 with a 2bl . its been at leas 12 years since I rebuilt the engine and had it running for a short time. here is my question a couple years ago I was going to try and start it up and let it run , I may add I have no garage, And before I did I checked to see if it cranked by hand and it did, I did drain the oil and it had sludge or the oil was cream color.
I know to drain the oil again but want to flush it out what would be the right product to use to clean up the cream sludge which is moisture mixed with oil. I am hoping I do not have to engine apart again in order to get rid of the sludge
Old November 24th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

If the water in the oil was just from condensation, then don't worry too much about it - put in fresh oil and filter and once the engine gets to operating temperature, any residual water will boil off. The problem is if that water is from a bad head gasket, or worse, a crack in the water jacket due to freezing. Then you've got a problem.
Old November 24th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Put a small amount of oil in the cylinders about a tablespoon so they are not dry while cranking, leave the plugs out. Put a couple of quarts of thin inexpensive oil in the pan shake the car a little, and drain it again. Take the filter off, fill a new one with oil and install it, fill the crankcase with good oil, confirm the engine turns by hand. If it does, with the coil disconnected crank it with the starter and let the oil blow out the plug holes. Put the plugs in, connect the coil and try starting it. Turn it off if you hear any odd noises or it overheats. It will probably be fine.

Monitor the oil closely to see if the condition changes, if coolant is getting in the oil it needs to be fixed quickly.

A 64' 330 should have the large diameter drain plug, you may be able to look in there and see how bad it really is.

Good luck!!!
Old November 24th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the quick reply the water is not from radiator or head Gasket It more from condensation from sitting to long
Old November 24th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I would do as Joe stated, change the oil and filter and run it up to temp for a wire to burn the remailing condensation out, and followed with a few short term oil changes.