371 Oil Pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2018, 10:30 AM

371 Oil Pressure issue

I recently changed the canister filter housing on my 1957 371 since the old one had a damaged thread, and now the car is slow to build oil pressure and knocks badly for a about 2-5 seconds when cold starting until oil pressure builds. Maybe the housing I put on was defective? The housings have a small spring loaded valve in them, but I was under the impression these years didn't have any provision for an anti-drainback valve. Any input would be appreciated.
Old November 21st, 2018, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by CholmondeleyWarner
I recently changed the canister filter housing on my 1957 371 since the old one had a damaged thread, and now the car is slow to build oil pressure and knocks badly for a about 2-5 seconds when cold starting until oil pressure builds. Maybe the housing I put on was defective? The housings have a small spring loaded valve in them, but I was under the impression these years didn't have any provision for an anti-drainback valve. Any input would be appreciated.
Did you only change this

or the bracket also? Just changing the "can" (shown) shouldn't affect the oil pump performance, assuming the one you installed was correct. The valve you refer to likely is a bypass to accommodate a congested filter. Retrace your steps to find the shortfall. I'm assuming that the oil was not removed from the engine to perform your job.
Old November 21st, 2018, 08:31 AM

You pretty much have to remove the oil if you replace the canister or the housing. Did you change to a spin off type housing or just replaced the old system?.... Tedd
Old November 22nd, 2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Did you only change this or the bracket also?
Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You pretty much have to remove the oil if you replace the canister or the housing. Did you change to a spin off type housing or just replaced the old system?.... Tedd
I replaced the entire housing/bracket, still using the OEM canister style filter.