Engine Temp - Operating Range

Old November 19th, 2018, 03:14 PM

Engine Temp - Operating Range

Hi All,

It's about 45 degrees here in Jersey and I took the car for a drive to test out some headlight work that I did. During the summer months, the temp never got past 210 although tonight it creeped to 215-220 in traffic but came back down to 200-210 during driving.

As far as components are concerned, it's an aluminum 3-core radiator with factory fan shroud and clutch fan. There are no holes in the shroud and everything else seems to be in working order. Thermostat is a Stant 195 and I'm using an AutoMeter aftermarket gauge cluster to read the temp. There is a Comp Cams XE268 cam with forged pistons, Comp Cams adjustable valve train, Edelbrock manifold with a Holley 750 DP on top. Again, it runs smooth and never went past 210 in the summer and tonight was the first 'cold' night I took the car out and noticed the temp at 215-220 at a light but it dropped back to 200-210 while driving.

Is this a normal temp range for this type of setup?
Old November 19th, 2018, 03:26 PM

My 442 has a 2 core aluminum radiator, factory shroud and fan, fan clutch, and a 180 degree high flow thermostat.

I run a 70/30 mix of water and antifreeze.

It never gets above 180 degrees, no matter how hot or cold it gets.
Old November 19th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Administrator

That would be near normal for a 195* thermostat. Remember your thermostat starts to open at 195*. When the outside air temp is hot the thermostat reaches temp and stays open. When its cold out it cycles open and close to maintain the minimum operating temp of 195.
Old November 19th, 2018, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That would be near normal for a 195* thermostat. Remember your thermostat starts to open at 195*. When the outside air temp is hot the thermostat reaches temp and stays open. When its cold out it cycles open and close to maintain the minimum operating temp of 195.
I walked out to the garage after it cooled down from the ride and wanted to see about the fan clutch and by spinning the fan blade while engine is off and cold, I get 1 full revolution, maybe a bit more. Is that too much play and not enough resistance indicating a bad clutch?
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:12 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

No. If it doesn't get over 200f then you have nothing to worry about.
Carry on driving and enjoying your car.

Roger.
Old November 20th, 2018, 10:30 AM

your temps are in the ballpark..

Per Cliff of Cliff's High Performance these GM cars were designed to work best at 200F degrees hence the 195F thermostat..

Make sure your guage is calibrated.. Get a infrared temp gun to check.. best $20 you'll ever spend at Harbor Feight..

for lots of discussion a wealth of information see : https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...take-heat.html

Fred
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by FStanley
your temps are in the ballpark..

Per Cliff of Cliff's High Performance these GM cars were designed to work best at 200F degrees hence the 195F thermostat..

Make sure your guage is calibrated.. Get a infrared temp gun to check.. best $20 you'll ever spend at Harbor Feight..

for lots of discussion a wealth of information see : https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...take-heat.html

Fred
I do have an infrared temp gun and that’ll be my next step. What are good places to get temps to see if the gauge is off or not? Right on the manifold where the coolant sensor is, hoses or block?
Old November 21st, 2018, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by tgilligan

I do have an infrared temp gun and that’ll be my next step. What are good places to get temps to see if the gauge is off or not? Right on the manifold where the coolant sensor is, hoses or block?
Probably near the sensor or thermostat if you want to confirm the gauge, but the surface of the manifold may differ some from the coolant. Also you may want to confirm the accuracy of the infrared temperature gun. Be sure that your thermostat is opening when it should. A sluggish thermostat would raise the engine's operating temperature. Also, if the cooling system has sufficient capacity, choosing a lower rated thermostat would likely lower the operating temperature. When the ambient is only 45F it seems like the engine shouldn't be so high.
Old November 21st, 2018, 04:32 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Probably near the sensor or thermostat if you want to confirm the gauge, but the surface of the manifold may differ some from the coolant. Also you may want to confirm the accuracy of the infrared temperature gun. Be sure that your thermostat is opening when it should. A sluggish thermostat would raise the engine's operating temperature. Also, if the cooling system has sufficient capacity, choosing a lower rated thermostat would likely lower the operating temperature. When the ambient is only 45F it seems like the engine shouldn't be so high.
The whole point of a thermostat is to maintain the engine at a given temperature regardless of ambient temperature.
Nothing the OP has posted indicates his cooling system has anything wrong with it. Why would he want to lower the operating temperature if it is doing what it's supposed to be doing and running at its designed temperature?.

Roger.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
The whole point of a thermostat is to maintain the engine at a given temperature regardless of ambient temperature.
Nothing the OP has posted indicates his cooling system has anything wrong with it. Why would he want to lower the operating temperature if it is doing what it's supposed to be doing and running at its designed temperature?.

Roger.
He said "During the summer months the temp never got past 210" and now it's approaching 220 when the ambient is only 45F. That makes me think that something has changed for the worse. I can only assume that he posted because he has some concern. While 220 may not be dangerous, 25 degrees above the rating of the thermostat in the winter may be an indicator that something is changing. I don't know what is its designed temperature.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Per Stant, read below… Again with a 195* thermostat there is nothing wrong those temps.
http://www.stant.com/index.php/engli...rmostats/faqs/

How does a thermostat work?
"Usually located within a metal or plastic housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine, most of today’s thermostats utilize the "reverse poppet" design, which opens against the flow of the coolant. Thermostats have a wax filled copper housing or cup called a "heat motor" that pushes the thermostat open against spring pressure.
As the engine's coolant warms up, the increase in heat causes the wax to melt and expand. The wax pushes against a piston inside a rubber boot. This forces the piston outward to open the thermostat. Within 3 or 4 degrees F. of the thermostat preset/rated temperature which is usually marked on the thermostat, the thermostat begins to unseat so coolant can start to circulate between the engine and radiator. It continues to open until engine cooling requirements are satisfied. It is fully open about 15-20 degrees above its rated temperature. If the temperature of the circulating coolant begins to drop, the wax element contracts, allowing spring tension to close the thermostat, thus decreasing coolant flow through the radiator. "
Old November 22nd, 2018, 04:56 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I would personally try a Robert Shaw 180 thermostat, 220 is getting too warm for my liking. What brand 3 core rad? I put a Champion 3 core aluminum rad in my 88 Cutlass, ran between 195 and 210 with a 160 thermostat, was not impressed. It could be the clutch is getting weak, since it is warming up at idle.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; November 22nd, 2018 at 04:59 AM.
Old December 4th, 2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Per Stant, read below… Again with a 195* thermostat there is nothing wrong those temps.
http://www.stant.com/index.php/engli...rmostats/faqs/

How does a thermostat work?
"Usually located within a metal or plastic housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine, most of today’s thermostats utilize the "reverse poppet" design, which opens against the flow of the coolant. Thermostats have a wax filled copper housing or cup called a "heat motor" that pushes the thermostat open against spring pressure.
As the engine's coolant warms up, the increase in heat causes the wax to melt and expand. The wax pushes against a piston inside a rubber boot. This forces the piston outward to open the thermostat. Within 3 or 4 degrees F. of the thermostat preset/rated temperature which is usually marked on the thermostat, the thermostat begins to unseat so coolant can start to circulate between the engine and radiator. It continues to open until engine cooling requirements are satisfied. It is fully open about 15-20 degrees above its rated temperature. If the temperature of the circulating coolant begins to drop, the wax element contracts, allowing spring tension to close the thermostat, thus decreasing coolant flow through the radiator. "
All good info and thanks for the education. I replaced the fan clutch as it was spinning with little resistance and it seems much better. Took it for a 25-30 min drive tonight and while at red lights it would stay between 205-210 and lowered to 195-200 while driving. Based on how the 195 is designed to operate it seems like I’m well within range for my application. I learned that with the cam swap, ignition upgrade along with the other components it raised the temps a bit but for now I think I can rest easy on this.
Old December 4th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Glad you feel better. The fan doesn't do much when the car is moving, its all airflow and radiator capacity for cooling.
Old December 4th, 2018, 08:37 PM

Keep in mind that the fan clutch engages when it gets hot. The clutch is right out front where it is in the cold air so if the outside temp is cool, it will not be engaged and not be pulling a lot of air through the radiator at a stop light.