Number 5 heads - replacement valves

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2018, 03:35 PM

Number 5 heads - replacement valves

Does anyone have a recommendation for a budget conscious set of valves for these heads? I will be running adjustable valve train.

I am open to oversized valves since the valve seats will be re-done. But want to keep the valve stems close to stock height.
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:57 PM
rad

Originally Posted by VinMichael
Does anyone have a recommendation for a budget conscious set of valves for these heads? I will be running adjustable valve train.

I am open to oversized valves since the valve seats will be re-done. But want to keep the valve stems close to stock height.
competition products sells some stainless ones for about $10 apiece.
Old November 10th, 2018, 09:10 AM

I like SI valves. They are very consistent in stem sizing. I would recommend getting at least .100" taller than stock for better geometry. Plan on replacing your guides and having them sized accordingly at the same time.
Old November 10th, 2018, 11:28 AM

I just recently bought a set of SI Valves, portflow series. Issues with varying stem diameter on valves were found, with stem diameter varying between the plate and valve tip, being "fattest" on middle. Fixed on own expense. Disappointed for the crap quality. Made in USA...
Old November 10th, 2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Inline
I just recently bought a set of SI Valves, portflow series. Issues with varying stem diameter on valves were found, with stem diameter varying between the plate and valve tip, being "fattest" on middle. Fixed on own expense. Disappointed for the crap quality. Made in USA...
Who told you they were made in the USA? They’re not. They're either made in Brazil, Argentina, China, or God knows where.
I’ve pretty much quit using their stuff, for those reasons alone. Try PEP out in Nevada. Truly USA made, much better quality..
Old November 10th, 2018, 10:06 PM

Well, on their main-page theres a statement about made in USA. So i quess they did. But thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind.
Old November 11th, 2018, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
Well, on their main-page theres a statement about made in USA. So i quess they did. But thanks for the tip, will keep that in mind.
Gotcha. Maybe some of their other stuff is made in the USA but I know for a fact their valves aren’t.
Old November 11th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/35...lve-d1180.aspx
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/35...lve-d1189.aspx
Here you go from a reliable seller. Their prices are the same as the sealed power stuff from Summit. The 2"/1.625" W-31 valves with the bowls opened with a bowl hog cutter will improve performance.
Old November 11th, 2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/35...lve-d1180.aspx
http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/35...lve-d1189.aspx
Here you go from a reliable seller. Their prices are the same as the sealed power stuff from Summit. The 2"/1.625" W-31 valves with the bowls opened with a bowl hog cutter will improve performance.
Maybe reliable, but no mentions from who those valves are sourced. Id stick for Cutlassefi's recommendation, since personally i cant suggest SI valves at all.
Old November 11th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

you could always keep an eye out and buy someone's lightly used stuff lol. By which I mean a set of heads that need little to no work.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 11th, 2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old November 12th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Mark what kind of price do the PEP valves run? They have an easy to read catalog and I found the 1.995 and 2.07 intake and 1.62 and 1.71 exhaust valves. I say 2.07" and 1.62" exhaust valves.
Old November 13th, 2018, 04:12 PM

First of all, I doubt that PEP's valves are made in the USA. I might be wrong but call them and ask to be sure. Here is a quote from their web page:"We are a manufacturer and importer of American, Import, Heavy Duty and Hi-Performance cylinder head components for worldwide applications."

That being said....... for stock replacement valves I have been using Eloy valves from SBI for many years and have never had any type of failure. They are absolutely OEM quality in my opinion, maybe better. They are NOT made in the USA but I doubt you will find any stock type or mild performance valve that is.

In today's world if you are making a purchase decision based on where something is made there is a chance you will make the wrong decision.​
Old November 13th, 2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
First of all, I doubt that PEP's valves are made in the USA. I might be wrong but call them and ask to be sure. Here is a quote from their web page:"We are a manufacturer and importer of American, Import, Heavy Duty and Hi-Performance cylinder head components for worldwide applications."

That being said....... for stock replacement valves I have been using Eloy valves from SBI for many years and have never had any type of failure. They are absolutely OEM quality in my opinion, maybe better. They are NOT made in the USA but I doubt you will find any stock type or mild performance valve that is.

In today's world if you are making a purchase decision based on where something is made there is a chance you will make the wrong decision.​
The Olds valves are USA made, can’t speak for anything else.
And they’re normally about 10-20% more than others.
Old November 13th, 2018, 08:10 PM

PEP valves are definitely NOT Made In USA...

Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises, Corona, California. 951-371-1432
Old November 14th, 2018, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bernard Mondello
PEP valves are definitely NOT Made In USA...

Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises, Corona, California. 951-371-1432
Hmmm, then I need to have another discussion with them as they were shipped to me in a box that clearly said “made in USA”. Thanks Bernard.