Rust on crankshaft journal

Old August 30th, 2018, 01:19 PM

Rust on crankshaft journal

I bought a crankshaft a few months ago and finally took it out of the box, and it looks like a drop of moisture got on one of the journals cause there is a rusty spot. A lot of it came off with some oil and a paper towel but there's still some there. What should I do to get rid of it?
Old August 30th, 2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by mother$hip89
What should I do to get rid of it?
Without having it in front of me to look at it is hard to say. How about a picture ?? Might be able to polish it off by hand but you have to be very careful. Crankshaft polisher is the best and easiest way. Like I said though without actually seeing it its hard to say for sure.
Old August 30th, 2018, 03:23 PM

Old August 30th, 2018, 03:48 PM

Wow that's bad, I'm gonna say that's not repairable. That should be covered by warranty if its nib.
Old August 30th, 2018, 05:53 PM

I have to agree with DJ. Looks pretty bad. If it was a new or reground crankshaft I agree that you need to get in touch with the seller. If you are stuck with it then grinding it undersize might get rid of it but there is no way to know from the picture.
Old August 30th, 2018, 07:48 PM

I was afraid of that. I bought it from a chain auto parts store so I'm hoping they'll take it back easy. Thanks guys.
Old September 8th, 2018, 09:38 AM

I learned there is no warranty, just a 90 day return policy that I'm past. I tried WD-40 and evapo-rust since they only attack rust and not the metal. It's now just slight surface roughness. The picture looks a little worse than in person.
Old September 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM

I would take it to a machine shop, and see if they can polish it out?
Old September 8th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Uhhh I’m confused here. You can’t take it back so why not just have the rods ground to the next undersize, or is it already .040 under?
Old September 8th, 2018, 04:54 PM

I cant tell for sure from your picture exactly where in the rotation of the crank it is located. If it is on part of the journal that is not under pressure on the combustion side of the cycle it will probably be ok but ...... Also if you look at the main journal just above it in your picture it has a bunch of little pits in it. That is most likely because it was worn very badly and was welded up before regrinding. If it is done properly it is an acceptable repair for a stock crankshaft but I would not accept it if I had it.

Is there a brand on the box like "Crankshaft Rebuilders" ? If so I would give them a call and see what they say. I am really surprised the parts store would not at least exchange it but if it has been a real long time I guess I understand.

Personally I would not mess with regrinding it especially if it has been welded. It will probably cost you more to do that than just buying another crankshaft kit. If it has not been welded then it is an option.

Do you have a decent local machine shop that can take a look at it for you ? They might give you some better options. Have you measured all of the journals for size, roundness and taper ? I would not be a bit surprised if one or more is out of spec and that would give you a little more leverage in returning it.
Old September 8th, 2018, 06:43 PM

Buy the same crank from another store of the same brand, put this crank in it and return it for rust a few days later. Keep the new crank.

No reason to be honest with a brand that won't back up their stuff. 90 day return is baloney. These are hobby cars, life happens. Or shot put it through their front window.
Old September 8th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Koda is thinkin smart. “2 can play at this game.”
Old September 9th, 2018, 08:08 AM

It is from Crankshaft Rebuilders. I'd already called them and they don't understand why the seller wouldn't take it back, but they themselves can't cause I didn't buy it from them so they don't have any record of the sale to me. I'm taking it to the shop Monday or Tuesday to ask what that journal still needs, so I'll ask about that pitting too. Thanks guys.