I'm in

Old February 15th, 2019, 04:12 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I hope a 3 core is enough but should be on a A body, 2 extra inches wider and better airflow than my 88 Cutlass Euro grills. I know my Champion 3 core was marginal on my G body with a 403. I ended up putting it in my Olds powered 4x4 with the Olds 350 and better air flow, never above 185. I plan to take full advantage of the much larger opening and use this monster along with only an auxiliary trans cooler to maximize cooling for my soon to be 4.390" bore motor. https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/pr...mance-radiator

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; February 15th, 2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old February 15th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
lookin good !
I hope the 3 row rad with narrower tanks keep that bad boy cool. The circulation around the inner trans cooler could be marginal with a narrow tank. Is the trans cooler a 1 rib or 2 or 3 ? Most BB, HD, rads had 3 rib inner rad coolers . Are you considering running an auxiliary trans cooler or heat sink cooler as well.
I hope it works out OK .
Eric
Originally Posted by 76olds
lookin good !
I hope the 3 row rad with narrower tanks keep that bad boy cool. The circulation around the inner trans cooler could be marginal with a narrow tank. Is the trans cooler a 1 rib or 2 or 3 ? Most BB, HD, rads had 3 rib inner rad coolers . Are you considering running an auxiliary trans cooler or heat sink cooler as well.
I hope it works out OK .
Eric
Originally Posted by cjsdad
I ended up getting this radiator. Stamped tanks, 3-core aluminum, welded construction, and a great deal at $189. This unit has exactly 1 inch narrower tanks than the original. I couldn't go wider because it has to fit between the frame rails so for the price I can move the mounting brackets 1/2 inch each side.
My evil plan is all coming together!
It is a three-core radiator and the trans cooler is not any smaller than on a factory radiator. Should be fine but I also plan to use an external cooler. Belt and suspenders kinda thing. This radiator will have triple the cooling capacity of my original unit so I don't think there will be issues with the cooling. If this radiator proves to be insufficient, I can get a 4-core from the same source. Having installed automotive A/C in Phoenix for a couple years gave me a lot of insight and experience with maximizing cooling capacity. Loving the concern though. Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2019, 03:54 PM

More engine **** from Mark! Just a few peaks up the skirt...

Old February 16th, 2019, 03:58 PM

She's on the dyno!!! Is it rude to say that I sported a chubby after seeing these pics? Test results late today or Monday. The suspense is extreme to say the least.

Old February 16th, 2019, 04:53 PM

So exciting!
Old February 16th, 2019, 09:45 PM

Looks awesome.
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:23 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Man that is going to be super nice.
Old February 17th, 2019, 06:57 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

What size valves are in those Procomp's? Looks like a nice big, back cut intake valve.
Old February 17th, 2019, 07:29 AM

Best of luck on the dyno. Looking forward to the results.
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:04 AM

Looking forward to the results myself, please post up the full dyno sheets/data.
Old February 18th, 2019, 05:34 PM

Whens the results going to be in?
Old February 18th, 2019, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by VORTECPRO
I 2nd that question!
Old February 18th, 2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 72GoldOlds350
I 2nd that question!
Soon as I gettum from Mark I'll postum!

Didn't hear from him today

Last edited by cjsdad; February 18th, 2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 12:30 PM

Initial Dyno results...

Corrected...

Old February 19th, 2019, 02:24 PM

Actually peak tq is at 4400. You always throw out the first few numbers.
HP dropped off bigtime in the end because it hit the rev limiter. You can hear it in the video if Dailey wants to post it.
31* of timing and a conservative air fuel. There's probably more in it but no need to stretch it. It hit the numbers I promised. And pulling almost an inch of vacuum with a 950cfm throttle body, go figure. Who says a 950 is too big!
Thanks Dailey!

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 19th, 2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
HP dropped off bigtime in the end because it hit the rev limiter. You can hear it in the video if Dailey wants to post it.
31* of timing and a conservative air fuel. There's probably more in it but no need to stretch it. It hit the numbers I promised. And pulling almost an inch of vacuum with a 950cfm throttle body, go figure. Who says a 950 is too big!
Thanks Dailey!
What was the volumetric efficiency?
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:56 PM

Thanks Dailey!
Soon as I figure out how...
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:09 PM

What was the volumetric efficiency?
Well you’re the know it all/dyno expert so figure it out for yourself, 39#/hr@58psi injectors running about 59-60psi with about a 72-73% duty cycle. You now have the air/fuel (12.7avg) as well so tell us what you come up with.😉

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 19th, 2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:18 PM

Well you’re the know it all/dyno expert so figure it out for yourself, 39#/hr@58psi injectors running about 59-60psi with about a 72-73% duty cycle. You now have the air/fuel (12.7avg) as well so tell us what you come up with.��

I just asked what the VE was on the dyno data sheets. You don't post enough data to figure the the VE.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 19th, 2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:32 PM

I just asked what the VE was on the dyno data sheets. You don't post enough data to figure the VE.
I know what you asked and yes I believe I did post enough data.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 19th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:40 PM

Yeah I did.
Why are you afraid of posting all the Super Flow data the dyno kicks out. As you know these tests are very controversial because of the very low RPM at which the HP peak is achieved. Myself, I'd just post the Super Flow page with the VE. As you can see its just not me that questions the VE numbers. Below is an example:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/real...fi-t13676.html

Last edited by VORTECPRO; February 19th, 2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:42 PM

Congratulations on the impressive showing.

I was expecting peak hp at 5800-5900 rpm not 5100. Is the resultant peak a function of the stroke, the cam profile or both?
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:49 PM

Why are you afraid of posting all the Super Flow data the dyno kicks out. As you know these tests are very controversial because of the very low RPM at which the HP peak is achieved. Myself, I'd just post the Super Flow page with the VE. As you can see its just not me that questions the VE numbers. Below is an example:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/real...fi-t13676.html
OMG that’s from 3 years ago! And yes you are pretty much the ONLY one that questions ANYTHING I do.
However I’d be more than happy to send you the entire ECU tune if you like. That way you can make of it whatever you want. How about that?
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:55 PM

OMG that’s from 3 years ago! And yes you are pretty much the ONLY one that questions ANYTHING I do.
However I’d be more than happy to send you the entire ECU tune if you like. That way you can make of it whatever you want. How about that?
Respectfully I have another question. How is it possible have more TQ @ the HP peak? I have never seen anything like this, can anyone answer this? Just trying to learn here.
Old February 19th, 2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Congratulations on the impressive showing.

I was expecting peak hp at 5800-5900 rpm not 5100. Is the resultant peak a function of the stroke, the cam profile or both?
Thank you. These new cranks have really awakened the ole’ Small Block Olds in my opinion.
Peak power actually occurred at about 5400 or so. That’s a by product of the wide lobe sep for the most part. The RPM counter on the dyno doesn’t quite match what the ECU is seeing. It’s off by about 200rpm or so. This has been verified by multiple different ECU’s on this dyno.
I was actually expecting a bit more hp but was very happy with the torque and where it occurred. Should be a fun drive, even at 6000’ and above.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 19th, 2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 06:45 PM

This is starting to sound like Rop. Why doesn’t vortecpro Dyno this motor on his dime or build one. He isnt learning- he is ruining this guys post. Report me to the mod or vortecpro. Time to clean up.
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:04 PM

CJSDAD, Congrats on a hot small block Olds!

I believe Vortecpro is merely trying to figure out how the dyno curves are occurring, and why there is no VE number being posted.

He is asking for facts, after all.

What was corrected on the second dyno chart?
Old February 19th, 2019, 10:14 PM

I dont really care what VP is asking. Even if the dyno results verify something for him or not, I'm still taking the engine.

Quick story to validate my point. When I was a kid, I went fishing with my Dad and the neighbor across the street. We took the neighbor's car, a 73~75 Monte Carlo that his son had replaced the blown 350 with a 327. Dad asked what kind of mileage it averaged 'cause Dad was a bit neurotic about that kinda thing. Ol' Whitey said something very memorable to my Dad, "I dont give a #uck Perry, I'm not gonna get rid of it based on mileage!"

I'm building a once-in-a-lifetime kinda car and I dont really give a #uck about the mileage, VE, or any other metric involved. If it needs a bit of tweaking when it's all together so be it. Ill give Mark a call and discuss it with him. But I'm keeping that engine!

Now if VP wants to further discuss the aspects of dyno results with Mark, he can do it in his own thread.
Old February 20th, 2019, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Battenrunner
CJSDAD, Congrats on a hot small block Olds!

I believe Vortecpro is merely trying to figure out how the dyno curves are occurring, and why there is no VE number being posted.

He is asking for facts, after all. No he’s not. Open your eyes Ryan. Look at his history with me, he questions everything I do, no matter what. By his own admission he’s a “Dyno guy”. Why can’t he figure this out on his own? All the info he needs is in this thread, period. He’s just being the total a hole that he’s always been.

What was corrected on the second dyno chart? Weather, as is always the case.
Dailey, sorry for the trash that’s popped up in this thread.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 20th, 2019 at 04:34 AM.
Old February 20th, 2019, 05:39 AM

Now if VP wants to further discuss the aspects of dyno results with Mark, he can do it in his own thread.
Exactly. I would think that as least some are here to build once of a lifetime cars/motors ~ whatever. Few of us like myself probably have childhood dreams still to check off the bucket list. We have one car under a full restoration and another 403 going into my brother’s car that was built some 20+ years ago as life/kids has been priority. Take care all.
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:06 AM

Dailey, sorry for the trash that’s popped up in this thread.

No sweat Mark. I'm a big boy and know how to overlook insignificant things. I have seen these posts pop up in other threads as well. It sorta comes with the territory when you're that good. Someone always wants the crown from you. Discredit seems to be the tool or weapon of choice on the interwebz.

Now, back to business. Obviously this new monster of mine will fit the factory opening but what about the new accessories? The new ECU will be going inside the vehicle under the dash somewhere but how big a hole will I need for the wiring to go through? Should I mount it to metal or something non-metalic? We already discussed routing the fuel lines along the firewall after the headers are in place to avoid excess heat. Being a 67, which headers to go with? SB headers seem to be non-existant. Has anyone actually tried SB headers in a 67 lately? Most new headers look identical to the ones supposedly made for the 66~67. Since I have stock ride height should I just go with BB headers? It is a 427 after all. Does the engine have a thermostat or do I need to get one? WHEW! So many questions now that the engine is a reality!

Last edited by cjsdad; February 20th, 2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:49 AM

Headers

Now, back to business. Obviously this new monster of mine will fit the factory opening but what about the new accessories? The new ECU will be going inside the vehicle under the dash somewhere but how big a hole will I need for the wiring to go through? Should I mount it to metal or something non-metalic? We already discussed routing the fuel lines along the firewall after the headers are in place to avoid excess heat. Being a 67, which headers to go with? SB headers seem to be non-existant. Has anyone actually tried SB headers in a 67 lately? Most new headers look identical to the ones supposedly made for the 66~67. Since I have stock ride height should I just go with BB headers? It is a 427 after all. Does the engine have a thermostat or do I need to get one? WHEW! So many questions now that the engine is a reality![/QUOTE]

You can't run BBO headers on your SBO stroker. Deck height determines the application not displacement.

here is the best header available. Good luck with the rest of the build.

https://americanracingheaders.com/co...4-1977-headers
Old February 20th, 2019, 08:15 AM

now if vp wants to further discuss the aspects of dyno results with mark, he can do it in his own thread.
amen !!!!!!

Old February 20th, 2019, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Now, back to business. Obviously this new monster of mine will fit the factory opening but what about the new accessories? The new ECU will be going inside the vehicle under the dash somewhere but how big a hole will I need for the wiring to go through? Should I mount it to metal or something non-metalic? We already discussed routing the fuel lines along the firewall after the headers are in place to avoid excess heat. Being a 67, which headers to go with? SB headers seem to be non-existant. Has anyone actually tried SB headers in a 67 lately? Most new headers look identical to the ones supposedly made for the 66~67. Since I have stock ride height should I just go with BB headers? It is a 427 after all. Does the engine have a thermostat or do I need to get one? WHEW! So many questions now that the engine is a reality!

You can't run BBO headers on your SBO stroker. Deck height determines the application not displacement.

here is the best header available. Good luck with the rest of the build.

https://americanracingheaders.com/co...4-1977-headers

[/QUOTE]
While those are very nice headers, they are ridiculously expensive. They are more expensive than some transmissions. There are plenty of other quality headers out there that claim to fit 67 Cutlass but the reviews seem to say that on SBO applications they hang down a bit lower than BBO applications. All the research I have done says deck height determines how low they will hang.

Again, anyone have experience with putting headers on a 66~67 Cutlass lately? Thanks!
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Unfortunately short of the American Racing header's few full length exist for the early A body SBO. If you can live with Shorties, the Thornton headers should work. Basically until you try a set of full length headers in your car, you won't know if they will fit. It should be all around awesome.
Old February 21st, 2019, 03:46 PM

What kind of rockers are those Mark?
Old February 21st, 2019, 06:16 PM
Hookers under Hood

I dont really care what VP is asking. Even if the dyno results verify something for him or not, I'm still taking the engine.

Put-r-ther!!!!

I feel bad for Mark having to deal with guys like VP, especially when he doesn't need to waist his time commenting back to those posts. Mark is very much respected here on CO,
he goes out of his way to help so many guys here. He's an honest straight shooter and backs up his promises. You guys in the U.S.A are very lucky to have such an honest dedicated Oldsmobile engine builder!
We need to clone him and get one of him up to Canada haha.

Eric

Old February 22nd, 2019, 08:11 AM

Impressive numbers! However, I was kind of expecting higher #s w/ the alum heads on this build. These are similar #s to your earlier stroker SBO build with iron heads (I realize that one had TBI vs. this one has MPFI). Were the cams similar, or is the cam in this one milder offsetting any advantage of the alum heads? Not trying to be critical, both builds put up stout numbers. Just trying to learn here so I can plan out my build. Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
Impressive numbers! However, I was kind of expecting higher #s w/ the alum heads on this build. These are similar #s to your earlier stroker SBO build with iron heads (I realize that one had TBI vs. this one has MPFI). Were the cams similar, or is the cam in this one milder offsetting any advantage of the alum heads? Not trying to be critical, both builds put up stout numbers. Just trying to learn here so I can plan out my build. Thanks.
I'm sure this engine could generate a great deal more HP and torque but I wanted it to be completely streetable. It will probably never see a race strip so "mild mannered" is the word of the day for this one. I live at 7,000 ft. elevation and I can drive 20 minutes in either direction and be at 10,000 ft. or 4,500 ft. so I wanted something that can adjust to atmospheric conditions quickly. MPFI is what I wanted. Like I said though, probably a lot more in this combo I just didn't want more.
Old February 28th, 2019, 09:55 AM

That motor is going to be a blast! Post pics and videos once it's all installed!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm in