Valve seals (little upset with shop)

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:49 AM

Valve seals (little upset with shop)

hey guys,

had my heads #6’s done. Ground the valves, resurfaced, basic job fir a basic overhaul. Just looking over them again this morning and looks like they only put valvecseals in one head... not instilling much confidence in the place despite great recommendations from others.

anyways I really don’t feel like driving them back as it’s about an hour away. Do the valve seals just slip over top of valve easily? I’ve got spring compressor so putting them on us easy since heads are out of the car. Principal tells me take them back and make the shop fix but my time says otherwise. Especially since only $15 parts for 8 of them. It’ll take me $20 in gas. Do they just slip over top of valve. Umbrella style?

here are pics

Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:03 AM

I would take them both back and tell them to do it right. who knows if all the keepers are seated,or if the guides are loose-tight. if the seals aren't there,what else isn't. maybe slipped their mind,maybe just slip shod work
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:15 AM

Since the shop is so far I suggest calling the guy and telling him you want to meet him at a public place near you so he can get them and make it right. At the very least leave them a lousy review on Google or Yahoo if you don't go back.

You can install valve seals easily. Just lube with some oil and slide them over the valve stem. I agree with oldolds88 though, make the shop fix the problem since they caused it.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:20 AM
same but different

Total blunder on the shop's part. I would contact them and send them the same pictures. I sure don't see any seals on that second pic. I know time is money, but they should reimburse you the cost of the seals and an apology. They need to know they screwed up.

And yes, the seal just slips over the valve stem, put a little lube/oil on it when IF you end up doing it.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:48 AM

Good point on the rest of the job. I found I got a full set of seals when I bought my gasket set. So I think I’m going to do them and take lots of pictures sbc then when im in that area again stop by and show them just based on principal
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:55 AM

I would promptly contact the shop and make them aware of the problem. I think you would both be better served if they knew immediately what the problem is. Errors do happen and how they are handled can tell you a lot about the shop.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I would promptly contact the shop and make them aware of the problem. I think you would both be better served if they knew immediately what the problem is. Errors do happen and how they are handled can tell you a lot about the shop.
Exactly
Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:45 PM

if there is a warranty for the work on the heads and,if something happens,like a dropped valve they may not back it if tampered with. that would be my luck
Old August 23rd, 2018, 04:21 PM

A very cranky call to the shop would have been my first move. They should cover your expense to get the heads back to them to fix this stupid mistake. No excuse for that kind of sloppiness from any reputable shop.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 06:25 PM

Darn machine shops

Yes the seals just slide on the valves but they are a snug fit so they wont move once installed. Push them down as far as they will go on the valve. When the valve opens it will push the seals up to their final position.

Personally a almost always use a better seal now days, especially on the intake valves. I use the late model style metal seals with a viton insert. It adds about 5 minutes of machining time to the job but I feel it is well worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vortec seals.jpg (15.6 KB, 233 views)
Old August 24th, 2018, 04:51 AM

**** happens, being a jerk never gets you very far imo. I am sure they will correct the mistake and feel stupid. I had a very bad experience with a total rebuilt, rod bearings failed after 1200 miles. They rebuilt the entire engine and gave me a free set of rebuilt 1972 heads to ease the burn they said.
Old August 25th, 2018, 01:24 PM

Those seals are pretty basic to do. They just slip over. Easy mistake to make. I cut all my guides to take the type that are spring loaded over tip like above.
Old August 25th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Maybe they can send someone to you. Valve guide seals are pretty easy when the heads are off the car.
Old August 28th, 2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Maybe they can send someone to you. Valve guide seals are pretty easy when the heads are off the car.
2x, besides if you have a spring compressor you might want to take a look at the valve job while you're in there, also check for guide looseness. A good test on the assembled head to pour a little alcohol down the port, none should get past the valve. If it leaks fluid, it'll leak air. Good luck.