A/C belt tension?

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2018, 07:23 PM

A/C belt tension?

Looking to find the a/c compressor belt tension on a ‘71 Supreme with the 350. Any help is appreciated.

Scott
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:31 PM

I did a little searching and it looks like half inch deflection is the norm. Is it the same with the a/c compressor?
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:46 PM

Belts are belts. They all need to be tensioned the same. 1/2" deflection has been the standard for all of them since forever. Just make them all 1/2" at most at the center point between pulleys and you'll be fine.
Old August 10th, 2018, 08:16 PM

Thx for the reply. Mine came off the compressor pulley today on a road trip. Got it back on and must not have been tight enough. Left it on the road somewhere in Tennessee.
Old August 10th, 2018, 08:25 PM

I find it difficult to believe that the belt just fell off because it was too loose. Was it a new belt? New or old, it would have to have been so loose that whatever it was powering should have been showing symptoms of a problem. If it was the A/C belt, the A/C should have started working intermittently or perhaps stopped working altogether. If it was the alternator belt, it should have caused the GEN light to turn on. Things like that. It takes a lot for a belt to be so loose that it just falls off the engine.

Did the belt come off all of a sudden without warning? I would suspect perhaps a pulley alignment problem. Something like that could throw a belt quickly and without warning, although you might expect to hear some squealing. Or perhaps the adjustment bolts on the compressor were loose, so the belt didn't hold tension and eventually loosened to the point that it would come off.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 10th, 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old August 14th, 2018, 10:53 PM

My response was a little confusing. What I meant was that I believe the belt wasn’t tight enough and caused it to end up just forward of the pulley on the compressor. There was some wear on the belt and after we re-installed it and tightened it it must have broke and came off the car. When putting on a new one it seems it would be darn near impossible for one to just “fall off”. Itwould have to have found it’s way around the fan blades. Sorry for the confusion.