Timing cover sealing after timing chain replacement

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2018, 11:02 AM

Timing cover sealing after timing chain replacement

At 82,000 it is time to change the timing chain on my 70 Cutlass. I have read many threads on wresting with the bottom rubber gasket trying to get the cover back on. Also it seems that the engine needs to come out, or close to it in order to remove the oil pan. Has anyone tried using a high quality RTV in place of the rubber gasket, similar to what is often used to seal the front and back surfaces of the intake manifold. I suspect the gap is larger for the bottom of the front cover vs the gap being filled for the manifold.

Last edited by Destructor; July 20th, 2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:38 PM

I would think the RTV solution will be harder to cleanup the next time the cover has to come off. I've just been through trying to install the cover with rubber gasket without removing the oil pan and I don't recommend taking that route if you can avoid it.

Spend the extra time to remove the bolts holding the engine mount halves together and do the job right. I know that's what I'll be doing next time.
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:19 PM

Destrutor- Go to the engines section click BB Olds scroll down until you find my thread titled Replacing Front oil seal in timing chan cover on 400 big block
I have the Wurth cleaner ordered. It's worth a shot before I pull the motor...
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:59 PM

Destructor-Sorry did not read your request all the way through. If the 350 is running good and no leaks why not leave?
Old July 20th, 2018, 02:17 PM

The engine runs good and only leaks a small amount of oil like any old engine. I found the thread you linked to earlier. I want to replace the timing set before it jumps. Pieces of teeth can begin to shed at any time. I don't have a big enough garage to do an engine pull. If I can remove the pan withouth removing the engine I'll go that route.
Old July 20th, 2018, 03:01 PM

It's a bear. AND if you going that route-you better replace the rear main seal. Lot's of chat on here about that as well for Small Block Olds. If my timing cover repair does not stop the leak, I'm pulling the engine, change out the rear main seal, pan gasket, timing cover crank seal and gasket and my water pump. Its blazing hot here, this is a fall-winter project. I was in Lexington, Mass last week at our home office...
Old July 20th, 2018, 07:16 PM

I have a small block chevy with 87k (dammit, used to saying 85k...thanks Power Tour) that does throw oil some. In a few years, I intend to do water pump, timing chain, cover, pan gasket, rear seal, and paint the block. This is probably 15 years from now.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 03:43 AM

Unfortunately it’s too cold here for this to be a winter project. My garage is a detached unheated garage and if it were heated I would still have to stick the car outside after the engine is pulled, where it wouldget buried in snow. If it were a little bigger I could keep both inside. It may end up being an early spring project. I had a 71 Caddy, the 472 is a similar frontcover design as an Olds.
Old February 16th, 2019, 11:47 AM

It's easy. Just remove the front motor mount. Pulling the radiator makes it much easier, giving you room for a puller for the harmonic balancer.