Pulleys Unaligned Rocket 350

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Pulleys Unaligned Rocket 350

I know there’s a lot of posts out there about this but I can’t find a solution for mine yet. I have a 68-70 block, serial # 395558 2. I was told there are 2 different styles of power steering and alternator brackets, can anyone tell me which brackets I need? The brackets I have are causing the P/S pump to sit back from the water pump pulley about 1-1.5 cm. My P/S belt shredded and alternator one snapped because of this. I have both spacers on the P/S pump, and don’t know of any that I need on the alternator. Thanks for the help.
Old July 6th, 2018, 04:42 PM

Most of the time it's the mismatch of the water pump (there are three different heights) and the pulleys that go with it, not the alternator or PS brackets. Do you have AC? That makes a difference. There are a ton of posts on getting the right pulley set up. See if this one might help you, or do a search on "correct pulleys" and I bet you find something you need.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-pulleys.html
Old July 6th, 2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by oldscutlass74
I was told there are 2 different styles of power steering and alternator brackets, can anyone tell me which brackets I need?
I have never heard of that, unless the person was referring to the early and late brackets (late meaning mid-70s and up). From what I know, all of the 68-72 brackets are the same. Unless the person was meaning AC vs non-AC alternator brackets, then of course they are different as they go on opposite sides of the engine.

I have a 68-70 block, serial # 395558 2.
This won't help you any other than correcting minor mis-information, but that block number was used from 68-76.
Old July 6th, 2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
Most of the time it's the mismatch of the water pump (there are three different heights) and the pulleys that go with it, not the alternator or PS brackets. Do you have AC? That makes a difference. There are a ton of posts on getting the right pulley set up. See if this one might help you, or do a search on "correct pulleys" and I bet you find something you need.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-pulleys.html
i have AC but I still have the 3 groove water pump and crankshaft pulleys in there cuz that’s what came with the car and I didn’t have a problem at first. Thanks for the post but I don’t know if it would apply here I don’t have the W2 block. I can’t find any serial number on my P/S pump, can’t see it on my water pump without taking it off (which is not an option rn because I need the car for a race in a couple days and don’t have a spare water pump) and the alternator serial number I got doesn’t get me any results online.
Old July 6th, 2018, 05:44 PM

i have AC but I still have the 3 groove water pump and crankshaft pulleys in there cuz that’s what came with the car and I didn’t have a problem at first. Thanks for the post but I don’t know if it would apply here I don’t have the W2 block. I can’t find any serial number on my P/S pump, can’t see it on my water pump without taking it off (which is not an option rn because I need the car for a race in a couple days and don’t have a spare water pump) and the alternator serial number I got doesn’t get me any results online.
sorry I meant w30 block
Old July 6th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Old School Olds

Your 395558 2 is a standard 350. If you could post a few pics of you alignment
problems, we may have better luck helping you solve them. Welcome to CO.
Old July 7th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

We'll start with the usual problem first.

Do you have the two spacers correctly installed between the PS pump bracket and the block?
Old July 8th, 2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
We'll start with the usual problem first.

Do you have the two spacers correctly installed between the PS pump bracket and the block?
yes I checked them first
Old July 8th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Bottom Alternator bracket
Top alternator bracket
Notice the way the power steering pulley is crooked, I have the correct spacers on in the right places
This is not mine but these are the brackets I have for my P/S pump minus the one on the left in this picture.......on mine, I have the screw that you see in the left bracket in this picture, however, it connects the alternator bracket right to the P/S pump, no additional P/S bracket on that side in my set up...hope that makes sense
Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Your 395558 2 is a standard 350. If you could post a few pics of you alignment
problems, we may have better luck helping you solve them. Welcome to CO.
Old July 8th, 2018, 01:59 PM

That looks like the spacer on the side of the block is too thick to me. If you can see that it lines up with the water pump, but gets worse the further out it gets, that's what it tells me.
Old July 8th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Old School Olds

I'm not very familiar with 350 set-ups but you should be able to use all pulleys and brackets from one engine be it a 350 or 455 for your needs. I am having a hard time telling what exactly you have going on there. The alt bracket may be a mis-match?

Hopefully these pics will help you out some. These are from a 455 I have sitting in the shop. But they are the same pulleys & brackets that you should have for yours, H/D cooling or A/C set-up with the longer snout water pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4167.JPG (169.6 KB, 15 views)
IMG_4168.JPG (185.0 KB, 14 views)
IMG_4169.JPG (244.4 KB, 13 views)
IMG_4170.JPG (167.1 KB, 11 views)
Old July 9th, 2018, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I'm not very familiar with 350 set-ups but you should be able to use all pulleys and brackets from one engine be it a 350 or 455 for your needs. I am having a hard time telling what exactly you have going on there. The alt bracket may be a mis-match?

Hopefully these pics will help you out some. These are from a 455 I have sitting in the shop. But they are the same pulleys & brackets that you should have for yours, H/D cooling or A/C set-up with the longer snout water pump.
what is H/D cooling?
Old July 9th, 2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
That looks like the spacer on the side of the block is too thick to me. If you can see that it lines up with the water pump, but gets worse the further out it gets, that's what it tells me.
Actually the side of the P/S pump pulley wheel closest to us (from the picture) is lined up evenly with the water pump pulley, and the far side of the P/S wheel is too far in, it’s hard to see from the picture but I can confirm this because I’ve taken a level and measured from one pulley to the other...so shortening the spacer on the side of the block would only bring the whole pump back too far (I’ve tried this that is how I know it wasn’t the right solution haha), .
Old July 9th, 2018, 05:20 AM

I was a little successful in getting the pulleys more aligned with each other by putting a washer (about 1 cm thick or so) on the top water pump bolt that the P/S pulley sits on. It pushed out the side of the P/S (left) that was too far in a little bit...the whole alignment is still slightly off, but definitely better than how it was.