Which efi kit should i buy

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Which efi kit should i buy

Guys i just installed a sniper kit on my boss' 72 chevelle. Im sold on efi. My question is which kit is my best buy for a stockish app. Fast ez efi, fi tech or sniper. I like the sniper since i know the install by memory but which one delivers the bang for the buck. My olds powered pontiac cruiser will be getting the efi first then the cutlass. Cutlass will be sniper unless new info comes my way

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 29th, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old April 30th, 2018, 05:19 AM

If you already installed Sniper on your Chevelle and you like it then you MAW stick with what works. I've heard alot of good things about FiTech's systems. Summit also has a fuel injection system they just released. It would probably work ok, but if the quality of their carburetor is any indication it will probably always need tinkering.
Old April 30th, 2018, 05:37 AM

Summits brand looks like the easy efi from fast. Im on the fence about the FItech and sniper for the cruiser . I like the cost of the FI tech and its very similar to the sniper as far as installation and requierments
Old April 30th, 2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Summits brand looks like the easy efi from fast. Im on the fence about the FItech and sniper for the cruiser . I like the cost of the FI tech and its very similar to the sniper as far as installation and requierments
I had a buddy making the the same decision and after talking to Holley, he went with the Sniper. Holley said they had the Sniper in the works, Fi-Tech just beat them to market with their entry level TB Efi. I can say having Holley Terminator on my LS that they have knowledgeable customer service. While researching I investigated FI-Tech and was finding people having to call back because the person that could help was away at the time. The Fi-Tech and Sniper are the same price give or take a few bucks.

I'd go with Holley just based on the support availability.
Old April 30th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Go Sniper, the reviews have been good. Hopefully Mark will mention his experience with the Sniper.
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:02 PM

IM leaning towards sniper on the cruiser the more i think about it.. In a few days we will actually take it for a drive to finalize the tune on my boss' chevelle .

The nice thing about installing the EFI on the boss mans chevelle was he popped on everything I suggested. We did the push lok an hoses made a return for the stock tank and plumbed it all like a stock oe. set up. For the longest time I couldn't picture the set up as I'm a really visual learner (hands on) . It was stupid simple.
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

What tank and pump did he run?
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
What tank and pump did he run?
I went Fi Tech on my 67. I used the Spectra FI tank from Rock Auto. I really like it. My old posts describe some of what I did.
Tim
Old May 2nd, 2018, 08:35 PM

We did a walboro inline pump set up. IM leaning towards that set up.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 05:14 AM

I have a hard time referring to any of these Tb units as “EFI” but it is what it is.
The Holley was noisier than the FITech but I know Holley has way better tech.
Both worked as described. The hand held on the Holley was simpler than the FITech but didn’t have the tuning features of the FITech. However you can hook the Holley up to your laptop and go from there. Plus Holley has a host of plug n play distributors you can use with any of their systems.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:09 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I have a hard time referring to any of these Tb units as “EFI” but it is what it is.
The Holley was noisier than the FITech but I know Holley has way better tech.
Both worked as described. The hand held on the Holley was simpler than the FITech but didn’t have the tuning features of the FITech. However you can hook the Holley up to your laptop and go from there. Plus Holley has a host of plug n play distributors you can use with any of their systems.
The plug and play distributors are worth something in itself, am I correct? I guess it depends how much tuning is allowed for each system in ignition controls. Do both systems control electric fans? With how shitty aftermarket fan controller's are, that removes another headache, if reliable relays can be found. I guess these cheap EFI are basically electronic carburetor's and only maybe twice the price of a carb.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:14 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

We did a walboro inline pump set up. IM leaning towards that set up.
Those pumps look very similar to the inline Holley pump on the Olds powered 4x4, very quiet but barely adequate for the 15 psi TBI, the pump was bleeding down. I am surprised they can keep up with what, the 60 psi the system requires? Where exactly did you mount it?
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:53 AM

The pump is 60 psi and we mounted in the frame. As far as calling it efi i know its more tbi but GM used to badge tbi cars in big block emblems EFI lol.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 11:49 AM

I have the FAST system on my '57 Chevy, I 'm happy with it, although I do have a multi port injection system. Only problem is it's self learning, and I want something more tunable, so going with the Haltech computer to replace the FAST computer.
I am also a long time member on Tri Five, and many of our members there have installed the Sniper, with less than stellar results.
On my '61 Olds I am installing an '09 GTO LS2 which has the factory injection set up already installed.
Good luck with your decision.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:03 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by sixties-forever
I have the FAST system on my '57 Chevy, I 'm happy with it, although I do have a multi port injection system. Only problem is it's self learning, and I want something more tunable, so going with the Haltech computer to replace the FAST computer.
I am also a long time member on Tri Five, and many of our members there have installed the Sniper, with less than stellar results.
On my '61 Olds I am installing an '09 GTO LS2 which has the factory injection set up already installed.
Good to hear good and bad results about all the systems. I know the fuel system needs to supply enough fuel, along with enough pressure to work properly. I personally would need ignition control to make it worthwhile as well. Adjustable ignition maps would be a must for me. Also fan control, adjustable as well.
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by sixties-forever
I’m guessing you have an EZ-EFI?
Any reason why a Haltech?
Christian- Any system that does “spark control” will have adjustable maps.

Last edited by cutlassefi; May 4th, 2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old May 4th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I’m guessing you have an EZ-EFI?
Any reason why a Haltech?
Christian- Any system that does “spark control” will have adjustable maps.
Thanks, Mark. You know I am not an expert, that is what you are here for. There seems to be good and bad experiences with nearly all the systems. I think it is install or tuning errors, another good reason to buy one with good tech support.
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:52 PM

I think it is install or tuning errors, another good reason to buy one with good tech support.
The “self learning” moniker throws people for a loop. You still have to set the timing table, requested lambda, cold start and transient tables yourself. “Self learning” only does your base steady state fuel map. A good tuner can do that in 45 min anyway.
Also sometimes people get the idea that these things will cure a bad combination. They won’t, trust me.
Old May 4th, 2018, 05:30 PM

Lucky for me i have a good friend that does tuning. I want the efi for the cruiser because my fiance wants to daily drive it and i need reliability. The carb it has works good but as always they can have theor quircks. The cutlass well..... its time to try something new.
Old May 5th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Guys. I finally got to drive the chevelle today with the sniper EFI kit i installed. Im very impressed. This whole install went without a hicup. For the money its better than buying a carb and killing time with it or risking buying too big or too small. What impressed me was the throttle response. The transition from part throttle to WOT was impressive. I will say. I work on cars day in and out ans my boss who assisted me is a die hard gear head and very knowledgeable. Im sold the efi even if it is an antiquated set up in some ways. I know i came here to ask but im also glad i can put my input out there on my experience.
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:29 AM

Just curious, how much camshaft is in that Chevelle?
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Another question, how much cam do most of these systems tolerate?
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:19 AM

The cam is mild probably a towimg cam. I know from what i have read enginwa with big cams probably wont "self tune" as well. When i go to put it in the olds we will see how well it can do that. It has a solid lifter cam. I wanna try it in its basic form but plan to taylor it to set up spark as well on that particulat app.
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:01 PM

Another question, how much cam do most of these systems tolerate?
I had a lot of experience back in the 90's with Accel's which was DFI's brain child. We used to be able to set them up as Alpha N only at idle say through 1500 rpm and it solved the big cam issues with idle quality due to poor vac signal back then. Is that possible with newer set ups?
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:17 PM

I had the original FAST EZ-EFI, while better than any local guy could get my Q-Jet to run, it still wasn't great. I now have the Holley Sniper and it's amazing. The cold start and idle are so nice. It actually sounds like I put a smaller cam in it, due to the smoother idle compared to the EZ-EFI. I can fire it up in the morning, and pull right out of the garage and hit the road like any other modern car. Throttle response with the 5-speed is a blast.

Download the free software and you can tune with a laptop and live data log too, if you want. But you can get it running d@mn good with just the handheld.

I have the Sniper control timing, and I use an TANKS Inc in-tank fuel pump system.
Old May 6th, 2018, 07:32 PM

I just ordered the sniper.. I went with a tanks fuel filter, walbro fuel pump , and doing all pushlok AN hoses. I'm really excited about putting this on the cruiser. I finally fixed the radio and for the first time in a long time I got tunes lol. I also went with the FAST throttle bracket as we found the unit does not match the typical 4150 style linkage which is common. Will be doing this over memorial day weekend. Although its a Pontiac its olds powered. My tank already has a return line so I just will use my original fuel line as the return and put the new feed line on the feed line on the sending unit.

Old May 7th, 2018, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1970greensupreme
I had a lot of experience back in the 90's with Accel's which was DFI's brain child. We used to be able to set them up as Alpha N only at idle say through 1500 rpm and it solved the big cam issues with idle quality due to poor vac signal back then. Is that possible with newer set ups?
Gen 6 or Gen 7?
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Gen 6 or Gen 7?
Truthfully, It was before that. John Meany left Accel back around 97 although Accel continued to produce a system well into the 2000's. I worked on the early prototypes from 1990 through 1999 and the Lingenfelter Box ram set up as well as the DFI super ram for BBC. The original lap top we used didn't even have a hard drive, it used two floppy discs. I'm dating myself now
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:58 PM

I just installed the Sniper EFI kit this past weekend and so far it's pretty awesome. I had a FiTech on another car a few years ago and I feel like the Holley kit is much more "refined," especially when it comes to the handheld controller. Also, for those looking at fuel pump options, I went with the OEM style in tank pump, Holley PN 12-303. It was effortless to install and there is no return line required.
Old May 8th, 2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1970greensupreme
Truthfully, It was before that. John Meany left Accel back around 97 although Accel continued to produce a system well into the 2000's. I worked on the early prototypes from 1990 through 1999 and the Lingenfelter Box ram set up as well as the DFI super ram for BBC. The original lap top we used didn't even have a hard drive, it used two floppy discs. I'm dating myself now
Then it was a Gen 6. For Accel there really wasn’t anything before that. It was along the same lines as the FAST classic. Advanced for its day but extremely primitive for today. It wouldn’t even support a wideband.
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:08 PM

I got my kit and parts. I will document the install to hopefully help others get a visual.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:56 PM

Guys. I went with the sniper EFI. I could not be happier. The Big Pontiac with the SBO really moves. I did have some issues. My trans was locking up in idle and was putting a massive load on the engine and it didn't want to idle when put into gear. It took some work to get it to idle right with this issue but when I got it right it did the same thing it did with the card. High idle to keep it from dying from a big RPM drop. It took me about 8 hours to install the kit with 2 work sessions. I did an inline pump from walbro and use push lok hoses and fittings . I replaced the TH350 and put the one from my olds in it with a 2300 jegs converter. ..... What a world of difference with the fresh trans and stall converter. It lays rubber and launches pretty good. Im really happy with the sniper kit. I have put some miles on it but Thursday I will be making a longer drive so long as I fix the oil leak at the adapter. Simple fix. No reason not to. Anyway IM glad I did this kit.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 07:11 PM

here is a few pics. don't worry I cleaned up my wiring once it was done.

Old June 4th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Cool, some stall really makes a difference. Let us know any other issues and any mileage difference. I would not be able to run that much rubber fuel line at our track.
Old June 4th, 2018, 01:51 PM

I did some research and lots of push lok stuff is nhra legal. Just gotta use the right brand
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I did some research and lots of push lok stuff is nhra legal. Just gotta use the right brand
Good to know, our track is also NRHA.
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:20 PM

I also cannot wait to put a new exhaust on the car lol. The glasspacks where fun for like 2 weeks. I realized how loud loud is lol.
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Leave the glass packs in and add a decent muffler behind them and full tail pipes in place, if you don't already.
Old June 4th, 2018, 06:20 PM

I have clearance issues getting into my driveway. I'm gonna bring the pipes to the axle and use the mufflers off of the cutlass. I plan on doing a new exhaust on the cutlass with super turbo mufflers using cut outs after the x pipe with tail pipes.
Old June 5th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You have Aerochamber's on your Cutlass, correct? I am still puzzled how my exhaust sounded so amazing on my 88 and then droning loud in my 70S, tail pipes or none. I may try 3M sound deadening mat under the carpet. I am glad these systems work with an inline pump, very tempted to try the Sniper or Terminator down the road.

Quick Reply: Which efi kit should i buy