Mistakenly Bought Diesel Motor Oil for Gas Engine

Old April 11th, 2018, 08:36 AM

Mistakenly Bought Diesel Motor Oil for Gas Engine

Changing oil on an Olds 350 engine with 140K miles on it. Usually use 10-W40 oil and it doesn't burn any.

Saw Shell Rotella SAE 15-W40 oil for $15 (4 gal) at Advance Auto and thought that looked like a good price. Bought a jug and got ready to pour it in and noticed it says for diesel engines.

Is there any reason not to use this oil in my gasoline engine?

John
Old April 11th, 2018, 08:40 AM

No big deal. I've used the 15W-40 Rotella T in my 71 Olds 98 before.
Old April 11th, 2018, 08:48 AM

Some folks intentionally use diesel oil because, sometimes, it has more of the old additives that have been removed from gas oils. There are arguments that diesel oil is friendlier to hydraulic flat tappet cams, but some folks say they have no benefit.

IMO, no worries. Just run it.
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:00 AM

If it matters, is T4 for API Service CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 CH-4. Does not mention "S" application for gasoline engines.

Engine is a 1971 low compression flat tappet cam engine.
Old April 11th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oddball
Some folks intentionally use diesel oil because, sometimes, it has more of the old additives that have been removed from gas oils. There are arguments that diesel oil is friendlier to hydraulic flat tappet cams, but some folks say they have no benefit.
Diesel oil USED to have more zinc, which is why folks would run it in flat tappet motors. Unfortunately the EPA has caught up with diesels now and there is no longer a zinc benefit.
Old April 11th, 2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Diesel oil USED to have more zinc, which is why folks would run it in flat tappet motors. Unfortunately the EPA has caught up with diesels now and there is no longer a zinc benefit.
Plus most contain entirely too much detergent. Most cam companies have recommended against using them for years.
Old April 11th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Administrator

What brand oil did you use before?
Old April 11th, 2018, 08:13 PM

Generally used Valvoline or Pensoil 10W40. Last few times have added 5-6 oz STP based on it having some zinc. But oil pressure runs higher (60 psi) until engine gets warm (180 degrees) so probably going to leave the STP out this time.

Engine is carbed with no O2 sensor or catalytic converter.

Put about 2000 miles a year on the car, so change oil/filter once a year.

Since I hadn't opened the jug, I returned it today and got Valvoline 10W30 to try. If oil pressure runs under 40 psi hot I will add some STP.

John
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The diesel has high detergent as said and most is now SM or SN rated. I had lifter noise with SN gas rated 10w40 in my 260, it even has a smaller cam than your 71.
Old April 12th, 2018, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by JohnTN
Generally used Valvoline or Pensoil 10W40. Last few times have added 5-6 oz STP based on it having some zinc. But oil pressure runs higher (60 psi) until engine gets warm (180 degrees) so probably going to leave the STP out this time.

Engine is carbed with no O2 sensor or catalytic converter.

Put about 2000 miles a year on the car, so change oil/filter once a year.

Since I hadn't opened the jug, I returned it today and got Valvoline 10W30 to try. If oil pressure runs under 40 psi hot I will add some STP.

John
Just use VR1.
Old April 12th, 2018, 07:52 AM

What that man said.

The problem with "I've used X since new" oil thinking is that it's not the same oil.

There's very little new, good engineering under the sun. Most of it is "oh, we no longer need this feature, so removing it will allow this to happen" and you flat out bone anyone who still needs that feature. Most cars have roller cams, ergo the need for the additive is gone for those cars.

It would be an interesting lawsuit to see if you could hold an oil company responsible for flattening lobes. Cams are so cheap that it would never come to court.
Old April 12th, 2018, 08:41 AM

I always use Rotella 15- 40 and the last time I checked on the zddp it was around 1,080 ppm on the scale. The zinc was why I started using Rotella but I haven't experienced any lifter sticking in 4 or 5 years I think the detergents keep the lifters cleaner than the oils I have used in the past. I know there are better oils for higher revving high compression engines but my ride seldom sees 4000 RPM and the compression is around 8 1/2 to 1 pretty mild. It works for me in the areas that I need help in.... Tedd
Old April 12th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Koda
What that man said.

x3 with VR1

The problem with "I've used X since new" oil thinking is that it's not the same oil.

Very true

There's very little new, good engineering under the sun. Most of it is "oh, we no longer need this feature, so removing it will allow this to happen" and you flat out bone anyone who still needs that feature. Most cars have roller cams, ergo the need for the additive is gone for those cars.

Most of the oil manufacturers market oil towards the older flat tappet engines, you just have to research carefully.

It would be an interesting lawsuit to see if you could hold an oil company responsible for flattening lobes. Cams are so cheap that it would never come to court.
It's not just a cams are so cheap thing. Its where does all those metal shavings go? In most cases they get wedged into bearings after being slung around the inside of your engine as they get ground off the cam. So the damage can cost you a rebuild.
Old April 12th, 2018, 09:33 AM

rotella

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I always use Rotella 15- 40 and the last time I checked on the zddp it was around 1,080 ppm on the scale. The zinc was why I started using Rotella but I haven't experienced any lifter sticking in 4 or 5 years I think the detergents keep the lifters cleaner than the oils I have used in the past. I know there are better oils for higher revving high compression engines but my ride seldom sees 4000 RPM and the compression is around 8 1/2 to 1 pretty mild. It works for me in the areas that I need help in.... Tedd
i don't know why this info is hard to find or inconsistent but all info i could find on 15-40 rotella is that it still has 1200 ppm of zinc.i've been using it for 30 years,started with gm 5.7 diesels i had.
Old April 12th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It's not just a cams are so cheap thing. Its where does all those metal shavings go? In most cases they get wedged into bearings after being slung around the inside of your engine as they get ground off the cam. So the damage can cost you a rebuild.
Fair point, but ideally they would end up on the oil pickup screen, or in the filter, or sludged up on the bottom of the pan. However, my point was that, even the cost of a rebuild included, no engine fix job will result in lawsuit territory.
Old April 12th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Class action lawsuits result from a small claim by a lot of people. Granted the only ones who get rich are the attorneys.