Cleaning EGR passages

Old April 9th, 2018, 02:46 AM

Cleaning EGR passages

After removing the tube, can see the bottom was fully clogged
Used a cable to clean like this
Dear friends,

today i strted working on the 307 then came across the egr problem. Driver side tube under the carby cleared ok. I fitted a piece of rubber hose and blew through it. Chunks of carbon flew out where the egr valve is fitted. (Had the egr valve removed already) However the passenger side tube (longer one) was fully clogged. So i used a drill bit and took a lot of carbon out. Then removed the tube altogether using a 24mm long socket and cleaned further. Then i used carb cleaner and a small screw driver to clean the bottom end of it. The screw driver finally hit the bottom (metal contact sound) but still i can't use the piece of rubber hose to blow through it. Then i closed the egr valve side hole with finger and blew through the driver side tube. Then the passenger side tube (filled with carb cleaner) bubbled up. But that had to be a very small opening because i really had to blow hard. Used a cable to clean passage from the egr valve side. From the length it went, I'm positive it went to passenger side tube but no success. Any better ideas for this issue?
Old April 9th, 2018, 05:58 AM

You can have the EGR valve checked for functionality at an auto parts store. Or, you can get a handheld vacuum pump to make sure it functions properly.

Amazon Amazon

You shouldn't have to worry about the EGR passages in the intake manifold. Since you cleaned them out already that shouldn't cause any problems.
Old April 9th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You can have the EGR valve checked for functionality at an auto parts store. Or, you can get a handheld vacuum pump to make sure it functions properly.

https://www.amazon.com/MV8000-Automo...vacuum+bleeder

You shouldn't have to worry about the EGR passages in the intake manifold. Since you cleaned them out already that shouldn't cause any problems.
Thank you for the reply my dear friend.

My concern is this. Just under the carby, each primary and secondary are separated by a wall inside the manifold. That means the driver side tube will give more exhaust gas (in my case) to the driver side cylinders whereas the same would be almost none for the passenger side bank.

Therefore, wouldn't the ignition advance be a problem for the passenger side bank? (Since no exhaust gas present in passenger side bank?)
Old April 9th, 2018, 11:56 AM

You don't have to worry about the driver's side cylinders getting more EGR flow than the passenger's side cylinders. The EGR valve is attached to the exhaust crossover which runs the entire width of the intake manifold. If you clean the EGR valve and if it functions properlry you shouldn't have any problems.
Old April 10th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You don't have to worry about the driver's side cylinders getting more EGR flow than the passenger's side cylinders. The EGR valve is attached to the exhaust crossover which runs the entire width of the intake manifold. If you clean the EGR valve and if it functions properlry you shouldn't have any problems.

Woah, that cleared a major worry. Just found out the egr valve is faulty. Doesn't hold the vacuum when testing with hand held vacuum pump. Gotta buy a new one. Thank you again

Tried so hard to get all the carbon dust out and this is what happened to my face What happens when you blow out the fine carbon dust from the egr tube lol
Old April 10th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=kuseetha;1088238]Woah, that cleared a major worry. Just found out the egr valve is faulty. Doesn't hold the vacuum when testing with hand held vacuum pump. Gotta buy a new one. Thank you again

Tried so hard to get all the carbon dust out and this is what happened to my face What happens when you blow out the fine carbon dust from the egr tube lol[/QUOTE

Oh man, that is on heck of a task to try and get all that carbon out. You did much better than I would have.
I would have yanked the intake and tossed it for another one lol, but that's why I'm always broke haha.
Could have been worse, your white shirt could have landed in the laundry for your wife to wash

Thanks for the photo's of the cleaning, it will certainly help someone with a 307 searching here on the how to.

Eric
Old April 11th, 2018, 05:32 AM
72Cutlass S

Before you put the egr valve back on start the engine and rev it a couple of times. This will blow out any loose chunks of carbon so they dont get lodged in the egr valve.
Old April 11th, 2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by gs72
Before you put the egr valve back on start the engine and rev it a couple of times. This will blow out any loose chunks of carbon so they dont get lodged in the egr valve.

Thanks, that's a top tip!!
Old January 23rd, 2022, 07:12 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by gs72
Will revving the engine after cleaning egr ports throw any codes?