1970 Cutlass Supreme 350 Coolant Overflow Tank

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2018, 04:25 PM

1970 Cutlass Supreme 350 Coolant Overflow Tank

Hi All,

Wanted to get some opinions on whether a coolant recovery/overflow tank is recommended and if so, what everyone's setup looks like. I've seen the reproduction bottles (quite pricey) but comes with the correct radiator cap, bottle and bracket. My current radiator (aftermarket) has a top port about an inch or so below the cap which is currently not being used and has a rubber cap/clamp combo. Is this port used for the recovery/overflow tank if I end up getting one?
Old March 24th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Administrator

No, the coolant tank is hooked up to your overflow port just below the cap. There are many repro and aftermarket coolant recovery/overflow tanks from inexpensive to very expensive. If your going to do it, I'd do the cap and tank similar to how the late model cars work.
Old March 24th, 2018, 11:59 PM

I will say that yes, an overflow tank is recommended.

If you have a radiator with a heater hose port below the cap, going with an expensive authentic style repro overflow tank is a waste in my opinion, as it's obvious the radiator is a Chevy style and not "correct" for the vehicle. Just get an aftermarket tank from the local auto parts store for under $20 or a GM one from a salvage yard and a closed system radiator cap to go with it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/coo...niversal-17482

Last edited by Fun71; March 25th, 2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old March 25th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Fun71
as it's obvious the radiator is a Chevy style and not "correct" for the vehicle.
Not "correct" per se as Olds didn't start returning heater hose to radiator instead of water pump until 1975 or so. Just a generic replacement designed to fit many vehicles.

The heater hose return was moved to radiator cold side tank to correct a heater core gurgle/moan on early 70s cars that some owners found objectionable. The "factory fix" from 1973 Tech Bulletins would horrify some of you and made a big stink at Nationals judging in late 90s because the judging team didn't know anything about it and docked the car hard. Basically a large brass tee that went in the lower radiator hose, and the heater return hose attached to that. Looked funky, but it worked and shut the complaints up.

That episode convinced me that OCA judging is not what it should be and needs to incorporate training on Tech Bulletins and Service Guilds.

If your cooling system is in good shape, filled to CORRECT level (2" or so below the radiator fill neck) and the pressure cap is holding pressure and not puking, I see no reason to install a coolant recovery tank unless racing sanctions or pinheaded local regulations require it.
Old March 25th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
Hi All,

Wanted to get some opinions on whether a coolant recovery/overflow tank is recommended and if so, what everyone's setup looks like. I've seen the reproduction bottles (quite pricey) but comes with the correct radiator cap, bottle and bracket. My current radiator (aftermarket) has a top port about an inch or so below the cap which is currently not being used and has a rubber cap/clamp combo. Is this port used for the recovery/overflow tank if I end up getting one?
I bought mine from Fusick. Yes, its pricey ($200). It comes with instruction so you're going to need to drill into the radiator support and use basic tools. One thing about the radiator cap. It fits very very tight. I complain to Fusick and told me to return the cap and gave another one. It also fits very tight. So I just left it alone.
Old March 25th, 2018, 03:55 PM

Just wanted to help by posting this. I have an aftermarket radiator also. This is the tank supplied by Fusick Automotive. Much better price then OPGI. The one note, if you have the nipple under the radiator cap with the rubber nipple over it ( picture 4 ). Check that cap on a yearly basis for drying out and cracking. They dry out quickly.

Old March 26th, 2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ragtopblue
Just wanted to help by posting this. I have an aftermarket radiator also. This is the tank supplied by Fusick Automotive. Much better price then OPGI. The one note, if you have the nipple under the radiator cap with the rubber nipple over it ( picture 4 ). Check that cap on a yearly basis for drying out and cracking. They dry out quickly.

Thanks very much for the pics, was very helpful. I do have that same nipple which had the rubber cap and clamp on it. I’ve replaced it once already for being cracked and dried out. For the hose directly under the cap that goes to the tank, was that part of the radiator you have or is it integrated into the cap itself? My radiator doesn’t currently have that connection so not sure if I would need to also replace my radiator if I went with adding the recovery tank.
Old March 27th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Post a picture of your radiator, all that I've seen have an overflow relief nipple under the cap.
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Post a picture of your radiator, all that I've seen have an overflow relief nipple under the cap.
My apologies as the radiator does have the relief nipple. It has about 12 inches of hose connected to it running down the side of the radiator. Thanks all for the help.

For the price of most of the reproduction tanks, I may just keep it filled about 2 inches below the neck and keep an eye on it. Shelling out that much for the recovery tank isn't in my budget at this point.
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Administrator

My car has been in service for 50 years without one. The only time it pukes out coolant is when the system is overfilled.