in search of, olds engine builder

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2018, 10:01 AM

in search of, olds engine builder

Hi to everyone. I've been following various threads for a few years now. Ever since I got a steal of a deal on a really sharp 72 350 Cutlass that no one wanted. Reason being , it's a 4dr. Yes , I know, nobody wants a 4dr, but ME. I just like the Sleeper looks.
Yes , that technically make me a NEWBIE. I need some of that ClassicOldsmobile hospitality. I'm looking for an Olds engine builder in my vicinity. I am in the Eau Claire, WI. area. I am actually 2+ hours East of the Twin Cities.
I have done several upgrades on my ride, all on the top end. But the last ones pushed it over the edge. Now I have an awesome ride that won't run.
Please Help I can give more info if.... anyone wants to know more.

Last edited by doso; March 21st, 2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old March 21st, 2018, 10:18 AM

Rocket Racing Performance

They are in WI. Check the website.
Old March 21st, 2018, 12:38 PM

Thank You, for the quick reply.
Yes, I know there are places in WI. I was hoping someone would kind enough to give some specific names of places they have dealt with.
The key word here was Vicinity. Not 2 to 4 hours away. I'm inquiring firsthand knowledge of someone right here in the Chippewa Valley area.
Old March 21st, 2018, 12:50 PM

I have dealt with them and they have a good reputation but I understand distance matters. Good luck with your search.
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:37 PM

Thank You Gary. Are they fair and reasonable on price? I know prices are relative. But I've dropped 4 grand into her and She runs worse now than when I got her. One of those things where I should have listened to my wife. Leave it all stock original. But nooo , Lol, I wanted set-you-in-your-seat.
Old March 21st, 2018, 01:59 PM

If you call them and tell them what you want they will work up an estimate. The parts are reasonable and it may take a day or two to call you back when they are real busy. I was looking for a boatload of HP on a 455 so only way to know your cost is call. They are easy to deal with so far. Others here will chime in if there is a closer option I guess.
Old March 21st, 2018, 02:55 PM

Thank You, I will, have to start somewhere.
Old March 21st, 2018, 05:54 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

What all have you done to the car?
Old March 21st, 2018, 08:30 PM

Updates

Not sure where to start. Originally, I replaced the factory intake with a 2711.
the 2brl with an edelbrock 1405 w/electric choke.
distributor with a Pertronics 2 billet w/ Flamethrower 2 coil
ceramic coated 1 3/4" full length headers
MagnaFlow Dual 2 1/2" polished SS w/cross over
Custom SpeedHut gauges

It ran great. But I wanted more kick. So I decided to update again. 4000.oo later. Everything recommend by... after explaining what I wanted.
7111 Ported by Mondello
Ported by Mondello Edelbrock preloaded Heads 60519
Holley Avenger 870
Roller Rockers, push rods,
RV cam and lifters
True dbl roller timing chain. Everything from Mondello's . All top end. Nothing on the short block.
Break-in went great . Strated right up. Went straight 2k rpm and varied 2-3 k rpm for 20 minutes.
Here's where things go down hill.
Old March 21st, 2018, 08:40 PM

Now I have no compression, no vac. Backfires through to carb as soon as you touch the gas. I was told to keep advancing timing . 68* advanced Didn't help. After this going on for 8 months, it now won't even start. He told me to take everything off , go back to the 1st update. See if it runs. Really. Nope. I think the cam is wiped. Who knows what else.
Old March 21st, 2018, 09:00 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Mondollar is your first problem, they should have known better but they are crooks. Unless those heads were milled to 50cc, your compression will be horrible, the 72 350 has 24cc dished pistons, not easy to get reasonable compression with them.
Old March 21st, 2018, 09:38 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I think you can siassemble what you have. Note what you have and taylor build your own engine along with a machine shop that will be willing to do the machine work you need done to your ideal specs. It wont be a total loss that way.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 04:19 AM

If it was Lynn "Willfriggem" you need to call the BBB.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 05:34 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

With unmilled Edebrock heads you would have 7 to 1 compression with bigger ports, all around very bad. You definitely need more stall and gearing as well to work properly.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
With unmilled Edebrock heads you would have 7 to 1 compression with bigger ports, all around very bad.
X2, plus he ports the intake and heads, yet sells you an "RV" cam? Red flag.
You have a good top end to start with, now you just need the rest. If done right it'll be a very strong engine. Check out some of my builds on here. Let me know if I can help with parts selection etc. as well.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 22nd, 2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 01:22 PM

According to what they wrote on the Edelbrock box they were cut to .60 They sent me 3 sets of head gaskets. I was told to use the best one. I used to thickest one. I think now, I should have used the thinnest. Yes, I feel like and idiot.
As you have guessed , Yes I'm in need of help. Thank You for the offer. At this point it's find a machine shop. That is why I'm looking to see if there are any reputable shops in my area. I believe the cam is toast at this point. Would a roller cam be worth the extra cash??

My dilemma, Can I build up my 350 short block , get awesome torque and performance without putting another 4grand into her?
Or do I look for a 455 and try to use what I have purchased on it?
I do intend on going with an R series tranny and a 2000-2500 stall, at some point. When I have the funds. It is also a peg-leg right now.
I just want to get back on the road
Old March 22nd, 2018, 01:43 PM

Cutlassefi, I saw on one of your post a recommendation to do a olds 350 stroker.
Dumb question, can any olds 350 block be used or does it have to be the diesel 350 block? Is the cost payoff worth it?
Old March 22nd, 2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by doso
Cutlassefi, I saw on one of your post a recommendation to do a olds 350 stroker.
Dumb question, can any olds 350 block be used or does it have to be the diesel 350 block? Is the cost payoff worth it?
A Stroker is personal choice and budget. I believe the payoff is worth it, big block power and tq from a small block. I’ve proved it. But again personal choice. And yes you can use a gas block, no need for a Diesel block anymore.
Using the thicker gasket didn’t make more than a couple tenths difference in your compression ratio. Don’t sweat it.
And even if they did cut the heads .060 that still only leaves you with, at best, 8.5:1 compression. You need a full point more than that as well as the right cam and tune up to make a difference.
Pm me and we can discuss further if you like. Thanks.

Last edited by cutlassefi; March 22nd, 2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 04:41 PM
Jet lagged & Hungry

My advice,
1) Tell cutlassfi what you want,
2) follow his advice.

He is Yoda of Oldsmobile engine building. Trust him. Disappointed, you will not be.
Old March 24th, 2018, 03:34 PM

Thank You Mikej, I intend to as funds allow. Weighing all my options. I really do appreciate the advice.