Hooker Header Install

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2018, 06:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sampson
Finally hit Jegs and, low and behold, the same pic from Joe P
Thanks Joe! They are on order and hopefully the exhaust and header will connect next week.
Just remember to slide the flange over the pipe BEFORE welding the adapter in place.

(Not that I'D ever do something like that... )
Old April 8th, 2018, 04:41 PM

Ok.... I finally got the Exhaust Flange to Header Collector issue worked out thanks to Joe P. I cut the 3" flanged end off the Summitt Pipes. Bought the 2.5" collector adapters from Jegs and 2.5" To 2.5" connectors from Advance Auto. (Obviously I could have but welded the connectors to the pipe but the adapters help hold everything in line.). I have not welded the connections yet in these pics. By the way my new mig welder made welding this a breeze.

Old April 8th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Post some pics when it's done, should look really good when finished.
Finally ready to show some pics. Life gets in the way and slows things down sometimes. Also had to figure out how to get these connected to the exhaust.

Tubes and collectors are above the deep sump transmission pan

View from passengers side. I removed the Oil filter and filter housing to get the header in place. It was easy to reinstall the filer housing and the filter is easily accecable for routine maintenance. Transmission lines are laying on header because the radiator is out of the car and they are disconnected. Plenty of room on this side.

View from drivers side. This side takes some time and patience to install. The brake line theat leaves the bottom of the proportioning valve and goes to the right front needs to be relocated. The proportioning valve itself needed to be relocated higher on the frame.

Everything lined up nicely with the factory crossmember humps. Again this shows the installed height of the headers above the height of the transmission pan.

It is tight getting the header into position on this side. I removed the dipstick tube and disconnected the steering shaft at the rag joint to create some room. Removed the starter and jacked the engine up a little. The biggest issue was the Heat shield for the motor mount. This required some fab work. Plenty of room when they are installed and I did not need to bend, dimple or hammer on the headers to make them fit.

I wish I had taken some pics of the right side before I put the A/C back on. Plenty of room here. No issues to install.
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Looks good, they are always a challenge initially.
Old April 9th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I kind of wish I went that way. It must have been the Super Comps that sit low, that is about the same as my exhaust which gives tons of room, nice install.