wrapping up a really old build.

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

wrapping up a really old build.

Here is the back story which I really cant seem to find the old thread., but it follows as such.

Back in 2012 or 2013 member z11375ss gave me a really nice 355 short block in amazing shape with low miles. It sat for a few years . The best part was the forged probe pistons.

Then a member jimslt2001 sold me a block some cylinder heads and misc parts.

About that time I got introduced to member 67cutlassfreak who ported the cylinder heads and is currently wrapping up my intake for this build. In trade I did the body work to 67 tube chassied cutlass .

The cam although used got for free its a good used solid lifter heritage series lunati. Some of you may know rick finsta from ROP . He set me up with all his old stuff.

I got all the engine bearings from member dave bunch for a nice price.

I got an old kenne bell deep sump oil pan and custom oil pump from member Joesw31 for a smoking deal

The intake a holley street dominator I got from member BOB kelso.

So you can see the theme here. Its was built with pretty much parts sourced from members. Its taken some time as my current engine has been very reliable and I have had no real reason to " finish it " . I think this will possibly be one of my last real Low buck efforts . At the time I didn't make much money and really relied on the community to help me as much as possible . Things have changed and I really cant bark up that tree anymore but at the time it was very helpful as my budget was really really tight. A few years ago I finally got money to get the maching done and it started to come together.

Between parts and misc. machining I'm in about 3k. We think the engine should be good for 420 HP. appx or hope so.

Its a ..030 350 with probe 3cc pistons sittin @ zero deck .., The heads are #6 ported to the 9's with 2.0/1.63 valves and the heat rizers filled and divider welded with polished chambers sitting at 67 cc's . compression will be in the 10.25 to 1 ratio. The cam is a lunati heritage series solid lifter with 243/251 duration on a 110 lsa with 551/565 lift. The intake is a heavily reworked holley street dominator with a milled flange and spacer welded to the new surface along with using a super sucker spacer.

In the coming weeks I will be putting it all together and firing it up on the stand. The old engine will still be in service for some of this years racing season as I'm still chasing an 11.99 e/t time slip.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 07:54 PM

Ok so the last few weeks have been moving along real nice. I got my intake back which set me back another 400 bucks and 100 for pushrods. so bring my total to 3500. Still not a bad deal.

I got all my parts together and degreed the cam shaft. With a cloyed double roller on the 4 degrees advanced setting I'm .5 degrees advance. I can live with that. I also checked for clearance between the valve retainer and valve stem seal. I had to do this again as I cut the valve guides for a cam with 512 lift and didn't write down how much I had cut. I didn't have dial calipers on hand ( left at work) so I measured a socket with a dial indicator that was close to a safe range ( this one putting be @ .060 clearance) and everything checked out. I then checked the pushrod length. I adjusted the pushrod tool by eye sight until I felt it was near center as best as I could get it and started there. I went from 8.8 to 8.9 and the 8.9 was the clear winner. Great pattern with a ford rocker arm BTW. So from here its just final assembly and fire it up !!!!. I might add all the bottom end tolerances have been measured and documented like main , rod, and all those fun clearances including piston ring end gaps.

Old March 4th, 2018, 05:42 AM

Nice work. You said you set the timing at 4 advanced but actually came to .5? Why was that? I'm not a engine guy and only even checked cam timing w/ a degree wheel on one engine and it was very accurate ( 0 degrees notch to notch).
Old March 4th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Nice work. You said you set the timing at 4 advanced but actually came to .5? Why was that? I'm not a engine guy and only even checked cam timing w/ a degree wheel on one engine and it was very accurate ( 0 degrees notch to notch).
Sometimes the cam is out of spec, other times the timing set is. Both cases are why a motor needs degreeing. Copper does your SD have a spacer welded on and then another 4 hole spacer added on? That serious solid cam should help get you in the 11's.
Old March 4th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I see it in the bottom pic, you running EGR with that.
Old March 4th, 2018, 07:17 AM

This chain is off i degreed a cam before using it and same deal. I never used the chain. The egr ports have plugs in them. A spacer was welded in and its no longer a spreadbore flange. The flange was milled then spacer was welded and filled the rest up.
Old March 4th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
This chain is off i degreed a cam before using it and same deal. I never used the chain. The egr ports have plugs in them. A spacer was welded in and its no longer a spreadbore flange. The flange was milled then spacer was welded and filled the rest up.
What timing set?
Old March 4th, 2018, 10:24 AM

Standard cloyes true double roller
Old March 4th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

That is the second Cloyes set on here lately that was not accurate.
Old March 4th, 2018, 03:21 PM

That's why degreeing the cam is key. Like I said ., I was able to get it within half of a degree setting it on the 4 degrees advanced setting which is all right.
Old March 12th, 2018, 06:13 PM

I sold my old my 355 . I got motivated and wrapped the engine up. The engine will be fired up on a stand but will not go in right away. I want to redo my brake lines and go to manual brakes. Hopefully sometime in June should be all set to go.

I also hope I have no under hood clearance issues. Its gonna be tight. I will have to use a drop base and probably a thin filter.

Old March 13th, 2018, 01:54 AM

Sweet. Any time-frame estimation?
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:00 AM

That was all done a long time ago. Just redoing a few things i couldnt afford to then.
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:51 PM

I just realized my last resonse made no sense lol. It was too early for me to function. But engine should be fired up some time in mid april.
Old March 13th, 2018, 11:51 PM

Thanks.

What are you hoping from it? And what are you hoping from it at your car @ the strip?
Old March 17th, 2018, 08:43 PM

I'm Shooting for 11's and its very a realistic goal . I would venture to say that's pretty damn good from a pump gas , street driven sbo. It also driven to the track and back. I'm putting an interior back in the car and making it more people friendly I guess. I really wanna show case the paint and have the total package and I feel if the car runs in the 11's and can rock full street trim that will say a lot about the entire package.

Hopefully in a few weeks I can get my run stand done and fire the mill up and post a video. IM excited but the engine wont be going in right away. I got a few things in mind I wanna do as mentioned before.

Last edited by coppercutlass; March 17th, 2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2018, 08:32 AM

You better get that thing in the car soon or you're gunna pay a fortune in parking fees.

Old March 22nd, 2018, 03:43 PM

Before the engine goes in. I'm going to do some interior work and then a little more suspension work and brake work. Then new engine lol. For now its looking like I should be set to fire it up on the stand in a few weeks.
Old March 25th, 2018, 08:28 PM

Its coming. Got some bulk work done on the engine run stand. I'm excited now. Just a little more detail work on the stand and wiring.

Old March 26th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Before the engine goes in. I'm going to do some interior work and then a little more suspension work and brake work. Then new engine lol. For now its looking like I should be set to fire it up on the stand in a few weeks.
Dood, I was just giving you crap about that No Parking sign on the wall above the engine in some of your pics.
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:46 AM

LOL I figured. I finally had some time to mess with my stuff again. Been doing fab and metal work on my neighbors truck all winter and its ready to go back to him for his end of the work.

Old May 18th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Guys. Been really busy and I finally got around the getting everything ready. The engine fired right up and sounded great. I will make a better video tomorrow but for now I'm really happy.

Old May 20th, 2018, 06:27 PM

One last video (better quality) then it comes off of the stand. Ran it a few times over the weekend and I'm happy. Now its a patience game. Got a few house projects before I can jump back on the olds .

Old May 20th, 2018, 06:42 PM

Sounds good, can’t wait to see what it does at the track.
Old May 21st, 2018, 06:04 PM

I will be happy with 11.70's but some thing it will go faster. I also plan on Doing EFI on this engine.
Old October 7th, 2018, 03:36 PM

I haven't been on here a lot lately. Been busy with work but not too busy to keep away from the cars. I may have mentioned im in the middle of also planning a wedding and was hired to get my bosses personal projects back on track. I installed EFI on my olds powered Pontiac, Built a 302 for one of the bosses projects and got a big block chevy to build for his 69 SS impala. In between all that I got the engine in and fired up on the olds. I ended up getting new ceramic coated headers ( new to me) and a new to me Holley 750 HP. Im still working out the bugs but the engine is in and running very very well. Track time will follow in the next month. IM still working on the carb and getting it squared away and getting used to this reverse manual valve body th350 and the manual brakes. I went manual and 4 wheel drums lol. I have been busy with my new ventures on youtube and facebook. If anyone cares to check it out The youtube page is coppercutlass and on facebook its coppers garage. I have been updating all my projects there.