crank adaptor
motor mounts
flywheel
headers
drive shaft
clutch
pedals
hydrolic throw out replacing the z bar
The one thing you DON'T need on that list is motor mounts. If you check the parts books, you'll find that the 1971-up full size cars all use 2328 style motor mounts no matter if it's a 350 or a 455. Despite everything you might read on the web, the different motor mounts were NOT big block/small block, they were to match the frame mounts.

Your other problem will obviously be the pedals. 1971 was the last time the D88 was offered with a manual trans, and there were precious few of those built. I believe Impalas were available with a manual trans for a couple of years after that, and the Impala pedals will fit, but good luck finding those also. You're likely stuck fabricating something from an extra brake pedal.

Finally, you don't HAVE to convert to bucket seats. Lots of vehicles were built with a manual trans and bench. You just need the right shifter stick.

Good luck.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The one thing you DON'T need on that list is motor mounts. If you check the parts books, you'll find that the 1971-up full size cars all use 2328 style motor mounts no matter if it's a 350 or a 455. Despite everything you might read on the web, the different motor mounts were NOT big block/small block, they were to match the frame mounts.

Your other problem will obviously be the pedals. 1971 was the last time the D88 was offered with a manual trans, and there were precious few of those built. I believe Impalas were available with a manual trans for a couple of years after that, and the Impala pedals will fit, but good luck finding those also. You're likely stuck fabricating something from an extra brake pedal.

Finally, you don't HAVE to convert to bucket seats. Lots of vehicles were built with a manual trans and bench. You just need the right shifter stick.

Good luck.
i was tnking a aftermarket clutch pedal and remote mount slave cylinder and i want bucket seats cause either way im going ti a floor shift
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72delta88
i was tnking a aftermarket clutch pedal and remote mount slave cylinder and i want bucket seats cause either way im going ti a floor shift
Unless someone makes an aftermarket pedal set for the 71-76 full size cars, I suspect that adapting a street rod pedal set will be more work than it's worth. Consider my suggestion of modifying two AT brake pedals. You can easily trim the pedal pad down to MT sizes, and you can easily heat and bend the arm. You'll need to cut down the length of the pivot tube at the top, but at the end of the day, the arms will be the right length and close to the right shape.

Certainly add buckets if that's what you want. My point is that it's kinda cool to have a floor shifter sticking up in front of a bench seat. As far as mounting buckets, if you find one, a 71-76 Ninety Eight with the split bench front seat (a real split bench, not a bench that has fold down backrests for a two door), the seat tracks are the same as bucket seat tracks. The split bench was really just two wide bucket seats that touched in the middle.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:54 PM
Olds Fever

Unless someone makes an aftermarket pedal set for the 71-76 full size cars, I suspect that adapting a street rod pedal set will be more work than it's worth. Consider my suggestion of modifying two AT brake pedals. You can easily trim the pedal pad down to MT sizes, and you can easily heat and bend the arm. You'll need to cut down the length of the pivot tube at the top, but at the end of the day, the arms will be the right length and close to the right shape.
Joe, can you think of any reason why a set of A-Body pedals can't be modified to fit the B-Body AT pedal mounting bracket... This would save having to modify two of the larger AT pedals.. Just a thought...
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Joe, can you think of any reason why a set of A-Body pedals can't be modified to fit the B-Body AT pedal mounting bracket... This would save having to modify two of the larger AT pedals.. Just a thought...
I have no idea if A-body pedals are even close. Starting with two of the B-body pedals means that the brake side is trivially easy. Pivot point is right, pushrod attachment is right, and pedal ratio is right. The pedal arm is shaped to clear the steering column as well. I'd rather simply trim the pedal pad than mess with all those brake force variables. Now you only have to modify one pedal.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:10 PM

you crank isn't likely drilled for a pilot bushing either
Old January 22nd, 2018, 01:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1970greensupreme
you crank isn't likely drilled for a pilot bushing either
I suspect he knows that, which is why he typed "crank adaptor" and not "pilot bearing" in his first post.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 02:31 PM

I suspect he knows that, which is why he typed "crank adaptor" and not "pilot bearing" in his first post.
yep and im tossing around the idea of a m22 or m20 4 speed instead of the tremec the pedals im fine with modifying universals the seats i just like the look of buckets
Old January 23rd, 2018, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72delta88
the pedals im fine with modifying universals
Certainly you can do that. I'm only suggesting that it might be less work to start with two original brake pedals.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 07:10 AM

Good choice going with the Muncie for now, you can always just bolt in the Tremec later. I would consider finding one with the fine spline input shaft, stronger and you won't have to change the clutch disc when you do upgrade to the five speed.

Also I'm going to side with Joe on the bench seat vs buckets. All you need is a shifter handle with the correct bend to clear the seat. I had a 69 GTO with a bench seat and a 4 speed. One of the things i likes about the bench is the arm rest which you don't get, even with a console they are too low to be a true "arm rest". Just my .02. I love the idea of a Delta with a stick shift! Looking forward to your project.
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 61Bat
Good choice going with the Muncie for now, you can always just bolt in the Tremec later. I would consider finding one with the fine spline input shaft, stronger and you won't have to change the clutch disc when you do upgrade to the five speed.

Also I'm going to side with Joe on the bench seat vs buckets. All you need is a shifter handle with the correct bend to clear the seat. I had a 69 GTO with a bench seat and a 4 speed. One of the things i likes about the bench is the arm rest which you don't get, even with a console they are too low to be a true "arm rest". Just my .02. I love the idea of a Delta with a stick shift! Looking forward to your project.
its been a PITA to find what i need i may go with a prepped th400 for now my trannys dying and unless someone wants to donate parts its getting pricey fast
Old February 5th, 2018, 05:50 PM

If you do find a solution to you manual transmission conversion linkage problems please post what works. Someday, I am going to do a 71 Delta 88 vert with a 4 speed.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
If you do find a solution to you manual transmission conversion linkage problems please post what works. Someday, I am going to do a 71 Delta 88 vert with a 4 speed.
the only reason the swap is on hold is my th400 is whining in reverse and flarring in 3rd and its my daily