HEI distributor assembly

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2018, 09:33 PM

HEI distributor assembly

Dear friends,

Mine's a 87 307. I took off the distributor cleaned it.

When I was fixing it according to the chassis manual, it says I have to loosen and re-tighten the 3 screws (which are on the magnetic insulator plate) in such a way that the coil and the pole piece do not touch. (I mean the two spiked wheels, one that connected to the rotating shaft and the other one fixed by 3 screws)

I adjusted it many times this but I feel a slight click to my hand (8 clicks per complete revolution). Is this normal or is it still not adjusted?
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:08 PM

I have never done this but isn't one of them a magnet? If so you would "feel" it but it wouldn't be actually hitting? That's just a guess.. Good luck.
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:08 PM

Usually when I adjust a magnetic pickup I put a piece of newspaper between the two pieces and tighten it down. That way I can be sure I won't have contact but they are about as close as possible.
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Usually when I adjust a magnetic pickup I put a piece of newspaper between the two pieces and tighten it down. That way I can be sure I won't have contact but they are about as close as possible.
woah..like this??

Hmm...that's a great tip. Hardly any space in between though. Should try to get a paper strip in between. Thank you. I will update the results soon.
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:51 PM

If on that particular distributor one point is supposed to be closer than the others, then yes. If they are all supposed to be equal distance apart then you will have to use a feeler gauge to get them all set.
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
If on that particular distributor one point is supposed to be closer than the others, then yes. If they are all supposed to be equal distance apart then you will have to use a feeler gauge to get them all set.
No no, I just took this picture from internet because of clarity. I was fixing the standard computer controlled dizzy on the 87 307.
Inner and outer spikes hitting each other is out of the question, as they just bind and no rotation happens then.
The chassis manual doesn't say anything about one point closer than others or anything like that.
Wanted to know how a factory fitted dizzy feels like when you rotate the shaft at the bottom.
Whether it is just a purely smooth revolution (similar to ball bearing feel) or with slight taps felt to fingers when you rotate it.
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:08 PM

Sorted!

Dear friends,

After many times of loosening screws, tapping the magnetic pickup and tightening each, finally managed to setup the rotor as described in the chassis manual. However, still the clicks are slightly audible but no binding whatsoever. Thank you for your comments. Hope this thread will help someone in future.