Header question for my 77 Cutlass 350

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2017, 03:45 PM

Header question for my 77 Cutlass 350

Howdy folks. I stopped by the exhaust shop today to see about getting an appointment to do true duals on my Cutlass. Looks like there are a few questions. First whats the story with the cross ember for the trans? Do you guys safely notch that out on the drivers side? Is there a replacement I should order? Also my exhaust guy couldnt make sense of the manifolds and how the stock pipes go into each other. We didnt have time to put it on the rack. I told him I would ask the pros here so there no surprises. I was hoping to use my stock manifolds for now. Any pointers for the exhaust shop would be much appreciated. Thank you
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:59 PM

This diagram shows the system without the manifolds. You can see that the right hand manifold has two ports, one for the crossover pipe to the left side manifold and one for the exhaust pipe.

So for duals, you would cap off the crossover port on the right (passenger) side manifold and run a pipe from the rear port. On the left (driver) side, you would run a new pipe from where the crossover port used to connect.

Last edited by Fun71; November 13th, 2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:11 PM

Awesome thanks Kenneth. Is there a part # for the block of cap? Where can I get that? thanks
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:43 PM

You can buy a reproduction cap from one of the parts vendors or just have the shop cut the pipe short and weld it closed.

http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/Ex...Cap-i2834.aspx
Old November 13th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Driver's side crossmember

On my 1988 RWD, The hot rod muffler shop cut a piece out, reversed it and welded back in. I don't know if that's Kosher but it was done around 1989.

OK so far.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by GoolzCutlass
Howdy folks. I stopped by the exhaust shop today to see about getting an appointment to do true duals on my Cutlass. Looks like there are a few questions. First whats the story with the cross ember for the trans? Do you guys safely notch that out on the drivers side? Is there a replacement I should order? Also my exhaust guy couldnt make sense of the manifolds and how the stock pipes go into each other. We didnt have time to put it on the rack. I told him I would ask the pros here so there no surprises. I was hoping to use my stock manifolds for now. Any pointers for the exhaust shop would be much appreciated. Thank you
Look into ebay about that cross member. Its a custom made cross member for dual exhaust. I remember seeing it in there.
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Administrator

If your muffler shop is not familiar with old cars find one that is. Get some recommendations from others in your area that have had similar work done.
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1973-77 A-body frames are all pretty much the same. The 1973-74 cars came with double hump crossmembers. Get one of those.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:24 AM

If you can't find one of the 73-75, an early 68-72 stamped piece will work, just have to drill two new holes in the frame for the relocation. If you're going through the trouble of "true duals"...may as well pick up the extra 20hp and put on headers AND the dual exhaust so you only do the exhaust once...
Old November 15th, 2017, 06:17 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If your muffler shop is not familiar with old cars find one that is. Get some recommendations from others in your area that have had similar work done.
^^^^^
agree, worries me to hear your muffler shop couldn't figure out how the pipes were plumbed on a stock single exhaust cutlass
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:12 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Headers = leaks, and installation headaches, most of the time, but cool for sure. Manifolds are the way to go unless you have a cam, gears and you're going to the track? If you use the stock iron manifolds and the driver's side has the heat stove flap in it, make sure it's not frozen. If you chose to remove said stove it's doable, contact me for the procedure as there's more to it than just removal.
Consider an X or an H pipe too. They can be installed with manifolds or headers.
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:21 AM

lol...who's installing your headers? I've had a set of long tubes on my truck for 20,000 miles. I installed a set on my brothers cutlass 7 years ago and they're doing just fine. I use copper header and collector gaskets and retighten them after a couple heat cycles. They even increase fuel economy...things to ponder...
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:27 AM

If the exhaust shop is doing the work to modify the crossmember, this might save some money if they're doing it by the hour...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-770323/overview/
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
lol...who's installing your headers? I've had a set of long tubes on my truck for 20,000 miles. I installed a set on my brothers cutlass 7 years ago and they're doing just fine. I use copper header and collector gaskets and retighten them after a couple heat cycles. They even increase fuel economy...things to ponder...
X2, I also apply a coat of Permatex High Temp silicone on both sides of the gasket. I never retighten them. Never leaked on me yet.
Old November 16th, 2017, 07:05 AM

I've read discussions by guys on other forums who build motors for the track agreeing that headers do very little to enhance hp on stock motors.

Another thing to keep in mind if you plan on eliminating the cat is that most all muffler shops will refuse to install a system without them due to legalities. I had to go with a dual exhaust kit purchased online and install it myself.

Last edited by crimsoncolby; November 16th, 2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:08 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by crimsoncolby
I've read discussions by guys on other forums who build motors for the track agreeing that headers do very little to enhance hp on stock motors.

Another thing to keep in mind if you plan on eliminating the cat is that most all muffler shops will refuse to install a system without them due to legalities. I had to go with a dual exhaust kit purchased online and install it myself.
Good point as a 77 has an old skool restrictive cat... Depending on the state you may either need to DIY or get a cat back system? If you DIY check the states regs to see if it needs to pass that inspection annually??? And is it a sniff test or a visual test for that model year?
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:50 PM

OOOOR bring it there on a trailer as an "off road use only " vehicle...