84 Cutlass Calais vacuum help mixed diagrams/engines 3.8 3800 231 v6

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2017, 08:14 PM

84 Cutlass Calais vacuum help mixed diagrams/engines 3.8 3800 231 v6

I just rebuilt the top end of this car. new rebuilt heads, new lifters, complete tuneup- wires, cap, plugs, rotor etc... The original engine was swapped back in 94? from the numbers I think it now has an 83 block w 86-87 heads. I basically found myself redoing all the vacuum lines from scratch. Problem is I'm not sure which diagram to use and I'm thinking perhaps I have some type "hybrid" freak car going on here? I don't know if sticker on fan shroud is correct (shows Cali. and VIN says different). I'm so frustrated. After 4 days of studying umpteen diagrams and reading ALL I could in manuals, internet, videos..., etc. I have a vague idea of up from down! I finally just redid every hose according to the sticker on the car. I think I'm very close, but I'm stuck where the vac line off back of carb shows tees into hvac/cruise one side, and thermac sensor, other side. That, and, I have no idea where that A.I.R. Check Valve goes. Also I ran the black plastic vac tube from the MAP sensor to the front of the carb, (as per schematic) when I'm fairly sure it was tied in at back of carb,.. when I started this project. I have Dropbox link folder with all the diagrams,car pics etc I have just mentioned. The car was running very smooth, (before I went to vac city) but didn't have any pickup on the road. I would like to get this thing "factory"-with all the smog, emission stuff working properly, as it's my Aunt's car and she is not a hot rodder. That and she doesn't drive a lot either. I want her to have good response, cold start-easy take off, clean burning ride, gas mileage, etc... I have a fairly good electrical,mechanical, pneumatic knowledge from doing residential A/C work for years, but this emissions stuff is like learning a new language! I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to technical auto mechanics. My brain is about to burst, but I REALLY want to figure this thing out. I need some professional help. I waited to post this until I gathered as much knowledge as i could first. I added as much info (various schematics, car pics etc. as could here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i3pr2pu0y...tKwoCNo0a?dl=0

Sincerely,

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny99; August 31st, 2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typos