Timing 350 Points Distributor

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2017, 06:03 PM

Timing 350 Points Distributor

Hi All,

I know this topic has been talked to death but I can't really find a topic that covers my scenario exactly. Apologies ahead of time for my lack of knowledge, kind of feel like an idiot as I'm sure I'm making this more difficult then it needs to be. I'll ask that if any responses can be in simple steps, it would be greatly appreciated.

350 mostly stock motor with stock points distributor. Stock cam but lifters, valves and intake upgraded to Comp Cams and Edlebrock. Original 4 bbl QJet. Up till now, I've had some vacuum issues that I have got resolved and I'm pulling a steady 18 in from applicable ports. Vacuum advance is currently disconnected and capped as I'd like to set the timing. For initial timing, I have the advance light set at 16 and the reading is at the zero hash. I validated that the hash is accurate prior to setting time by ensuring it was TDC on compression stoke with rotor at #1 cylinder. The initial timing at 16 will idle (in park) around 1050-1100 RPM's fairly smoothly. As it warms up fully, the idle will slightly increase so I'll back it down with the idle screw. Should I be instead turning the distributor to a lower setting? Is there a benchmark of turns from either fully in or out the idle screw should be at?

I attempted to test total timing and set my light for about 34 and the has mark wasn't visible. When I slightly moved the distributor, it sounded like a large backfire and the engine shut off. I put the dist back and restarted the engine and just stayed with setting initial timing instead. What did I do wrong with the total timing?

After letting the engine cool, I went to turn the engine back on and it would idle to the point of wanting to stall unless I gave it some throttle, if I let off the throttle, she'd quit. Seems like whatever setting I get it to run smooth with a fully warmed up engine, doesn't like it when it's cold again.

Apologies for the rambling but I'm confused as to what I'm doing right from what I'm doing wrong and where to go from here. Can someone assist?
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Total timing is set with the engine running at 2500-3000 rpm or when ever the mechanical advance stops advancing. The initial (idle timing) will be left alone and not readjusted. After setting the total timing lower and set the rpm back to what you want the engine to idle at.
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:42 PM

Do I set my light in the 34 range and turn the distributor to get the hash line to line up or do I adjust the light to get the lines to match and use that figure as the total?

As to setting the idle for what I want, is that done with the idle screw on the carb or by the distributor?
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Set your timing light to 34 and move the distributor very slowly until the harmonic balance line is lined up with the 0 mark on the timing tab. Once the timing is set lower the idle with the idle adjustment on the carb not the distributor. Before you start any of this ensure your dwell is set to 30*.
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Thank you very much Eric. You've been a great help. I'll try that in the morning. Yes my dwell is at 30.