Clack...clack 350 alloy heads

Old August 11th, 2017, 04:25 AM

Clack...clack 350 alloy heads

Hi everyone.got a big problem with no.1 intake and need some advise. Used a comp cams camshaft and I presume the lifters were probably Chinese. On first fire up noticed a slight ticking noise but not to panic just re-adjusted the lifters again after cam break in.But the tick just kept on ticking. Any way, after getting rather annoyed with it and many adjustments later I asked my engine builder if he can dig deeper to find the problem as it just got louder and louder. So the decision was to pull the cam and lifters out and I got a new cam and lifters from oldsperformanceproducts. Put it all back together and the same clack clack was still their. Found it to be coming from no.1 intake.wind down roller rocker a 1/4 turn and it would go away but come back again 5seconds later. Wind down another 1/4 turn and it would go away then come back again so on and so on..Replaced that lifter with another lifter and it made no difference. Clack clack.It would even throw the rocker off the post.Had springs guides and all pushrods checked and all are good. Have now pulled motor out of car for further investigation. Now please understand that I am in Australia and I just can't go down to my local speed shop for parts. Quick run down on my engine...350, 40 thou over, cp forged pistons hydrologic cam 232@50 oil restrictors,Edelbtock heads large valves custom holly street dominator manifold running a full fuel infection system on a 1000 cfm throttle body etc etc. Speek Oldsmobile to people here in Australia and they look at you stupid and say WHY. Okay people it's in your hands. Anything will do.
Old August 11th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Were you getting good oil flow through the #1 rockers?
Old August 11th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Check your pushrod length. Your pushrods may be too short and not putting enough preload on the rocker arms. Check and make sure the rockers aren't binding on the studs as well.
Old August 11th, 2017, 11:40 AM

If the restrictors were not installed properly it will limit oil flow to the lifters. Not sure why you used them in the first place but.......
Also check your pushrod to rocker clearance. Sometimes the pushrod will hit the inner part of the rocker if the geometry isn't correct.
Old August 11th, 2017, 01:44 PM
ph_ckstick1

Push rods are they one piece? or are the ends pressed/? on..
Old August 12th, 2017, 03:18 AM

Most engine parts from oldsperformanceproducts. Have swapped pushrods and rollers but made no difference. Have cranked engine over with no lifters in and watched oil hit bonnet. Oldsperformanceproducts suggested I use the restrictions. No matter what we try no.1 intake just clacks its little heart out..This motor does not fart backfire or run rough, it is an absolute ball tarer and pulls hard but it is a real head scratcher on why it does it .A few people here have told me the problem will lie in the sump....Start Digging....Oh no.
Old August 12th, 2017, 05:39 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Andy Miller is a different cat at OPP, not stupid just very brash. He is one of the few Olds builder's who still suggests restrictor's.The Olds 350 just doesn't have the bottom end failure's the 455 has. Much lighter crank, rods and pistons plus smaller bearing sizes. Stock rods, I assume? Some people pull 6000+ rpm with them. They are a soft forging, not the best. What RPM are you pulling it up too? If there is proper preload on the rocker arms, start digging. I would pull the restrictor's and go through all the bearing's.
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:32 AM
ph_ckstick1

The turn the rocker nut a 1/4 turn and it goes away, then comes back.. then turn a 1/4 and it goes then comes back..
Is the oil to the lifters restricted?
is the pushrod length wrong.. is the clicking the rocker tip walking off the valve tip and on to the retainer..
Old August 13th, 2017, 01:10 AM

We have swapped studs,guide plates, pushrods rockers you name it we have swapped it. But that no. 1 just keeps clacking away. As I stated previously that there is plenty of oil coming up..When their is no real Olds Engine Gurus here in Australia you have to go searching for something so I contacted Andy Miller and spoke to him personally about building an Olds so one would presume he knows his stuff..every reply I am getting back is to check rocker gear and I am over doing that so it looks like I will have to go inside the block for the answers or may be just rebuild the original 1970 block that I pulled from the car originally .At least that one didn't clack .Even tried to contact Mr B.T.R a few times about it but he never replied back .Probably said ...stupid Aussie ...I'm sure there are plenty of other places in the states that want my hard earned..Cheers people and thanks .
Old August 13th, 2017, 05:27 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by Oldsaussie
We have swapped studs,guide plates, pushrods rockers you name it we have swapped it. But that no. 1 just keeps clacking away. As I stated previously that there is plenty of oil coming up..When their is no real Olds Engine Gurus here in Australia you have to go searching for something so I contacted Andy Miller and spoke to him personally about building an Olds so one would presume he knows his stuff..every reply I am getting back is to check rocker gear and I am over doing that so it looks like I will have to go inside the block for the answers or may be just rebuild the original 1970 block that I pulled from the car originally .At least that one didn't clack .Even tried to contact Mr B.T.R a few times about it but he never replied back .Probably said ...stupid Aussie ...I'm sure there are plenty of other places in the states that want my hard earned..Cheers people and thanks .
oil coming up, don't always mean much have yoy swapped lifters and it still do it.. a lifter with to much clearance an bleed down to fast, or really fast , or the spring inside it broken, or the retainer clip not seated completely, or the plate the pushrod sits on, upside down..

Does it clank when the oil psi goes up.. does it get louder as the oil warms up?

what is that valve that is clanking lifter to lifter hole/boss clearance?
is the rocker hitting anything, is the push rod hitting the head casting ?
go back to the basics ..
Old August 13th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Hey Mr leadfoot...thanks for your replys...vertually have tried everything. maybe if in doubt.....CHEV IT.....
Old August 13th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Oldsaussie
Hey Mr leadfoot...thanks for your replys...vertually have tried everything. maybe if in doubt.....CHEV IT.....
Those are fighting words on this site, hopefully it doesn't come to that.