No start when hot

Old June 29th, 2017, 08:51 PM

No start when hot

Hi everybody I have a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a 72 motor recently rebuilt I am having a problem starting the car back up after I drive it when cooled down it starts right up no problem do not know if it's heat soaking so I put heat shield wrap around the fuel line closest to the carburetor and motor I thought it could be timing problem but when the car is cool the fires right up i do not have spacer between carb and intake because of hood clearance it is a Edelbrock 650 4 barrel carb it has a mini starter and I wrap that in heat wrap to the starter doesn't sound sluggish when the car is hot it will start if I put my foot down to the floor or pump it a couple times it's just annoying when you go get gas at the gas station and you go and go to start it and it does not start please help thanks
Old June 29th, 2017, 09:07 PM

Wow, using some punctuation would make reading a long paragraph like this much easier.

Here's what I was able to sift out of that sentence:
Originally Posted by Oldsphilly
the starter doesn't sound sluggish when the car is hot

it will start if I put my foot down to the floor or pump it a couple times
So this appears to be a carburetor issue.

Foot to the floor opens the throttle blades and lets more air in, which is what to do if the carb has flooded the engine.

Pumping a couple times makes it sound as if there isn't enough fuel and it needs the accelerator pump shot.

So it seems that you need to figure out if there's too much fuel or not enough fuel.
Old June 29th, 2017, 09:19 PM

Sorry for no punctuations at work and doing this from a cell phone lol somebody said that on the Forum before about punctuation it does have a mechanical pump shut it off and letting it sit Maybe just pumping it a couple times to build fuel pressure again in the lines
Old June 29th, 2017, 09:19 PM

As noted by Fun71, it's likely an issue in the fuel line - vapor lock.

Here's a related thread on the same topic. If you go to page 2 there is mention of vapor lock in post # 66 (Omicrom). https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ine-hot-2.html

More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_lock
Old June 29th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Those Edelbrock/Carter have been known to boil out the fuel since they were factory carbs. A phenolic spacer or just chucking the carb in the bush should fix it.
Old June 30th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Administrator

It may be a float too high issue where when you shut it off fuel expands and dribbles into the manifold fouling the plugs.
Old June 30th, 2017, 07:35 AM

is the choke fully open when warm? When it does start does it blow black smoke?
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:57 AM

Maybe just pumping it a couple times to build fuel pressure again in the lines
There are no "lines" to build pressure in when you pump the pedal (actuate the throttle). What that does is open the throttle blades and squirt a stream of fuel into the throttle bores. The fuel line pressure is unaffected by this.
Old June 30th, 2017, 09:30 PM

Sorry for no punctuations at work and doing this from a cell phone lol somebody said that on the Forum before about punctuation it does have a mechanical pump shut it off and letting it sit Maybe just pumping it a couple times to build fuel pressure again in the lines
That makes NO sense! You have no punctuation at work??? Punctuation it does have a mechanical fuel pump???
Writing this on a cell phone is no excuse for not using punctuation. As you can see from the above quotes without punctuation the reader can only guess when one thought stops and the next begins. I'm not trying to insult you only help as I'm guessing English may not be your native tongue.
I suspect you have a vapour lock problem. What does the engine temp rise to after it has been shot off for a short time?