heads...

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2017, 07:05 AM

heads...

So i was checking for some heads jegs...turns out the heads jegs has for the olds engine is only the ones for the big blocks (400-455), i have a rocket 350 and the heads won't fit...thinking about chevy 350 heads, will they fit? plz help
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:37 AM
72 Olds CS

I don't think any Chevy parts will fit your olds, well ok maybe the carb.

You can put BBO heads on an sbo but it's not a straight bolt on and the bBo's have bigger chambers so you need to compensate for that.

If your looking for more power sbo cores can be had fairly cheap maybe have a motor rebuilt for more power while yours is still running

Or for the same money get a BBO and rebuild that and put it in your car...that's a direct bolt in
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by dddddyang
So i was checking for some heads jegs...turns out the heads jegs has for the olds engine is only the ones for the big blocks (400-455), i have a rocket 350 and the heads won't fit...thinking about chevy 350 heads, will they fit? plz help

350 chevy heads WILL NOT FIT on a 350 Oldsmobile.

Your best option #5, #6, or #7 Oldsmobile heads with a small combustion chamber. These heads will work great for street performance with just a little port blending and new valves and springs.
Big valves and lots of head porting will only slow down air flow into the engine at lower RPM. Unless your racing in NASCAR, stay with velocity not volume for a street driven car.

Remember, for street use, it's better to get more air velocity thru the head and engine than a bigger slower air flow that cannot fill and exit the cylinder fast enough at street use RPM speeds.

When you mash your right foot to the floor, it's torque your feeling, not horsepower. Horsepower comes at higher RPM, but torque wins at stoplight drags.
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

NOTHING for a Chevy motor fits an Olds motor. They are completely different designs. OK, there might be some bolts in common...

Aftermarket Olds heads WILL fit a 350. The problem is that the big block Olds uses a larger combustion chamber and simply bolting these heads on a 350 will drop the CR significantly unless you also change pistons at the same time. Also, the BBO heads have larger intake ports that won't seal to most SBO intakes. There are a couple of SBO intakes that have enough meat to be ported to match the BBO heads. This topic has been covered here multiple times.
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
NOTHING for a Chevy motor fits an Olds motor. They are completely different designs. OK, there might be some bolts in common...

Aftermarket Olds heads WILL fit a 350. The problem is that the big block Olds uses a larger combustion chamber and simply bolting these heads on a 350 will drop the CR significantly unless you also change pistons at the same time. Also, the BBO heads have larger intake ports that won't seal to most SBO intakes. There are a couple of SBO intakes that have enough meat to be ported to match the BBO heads. This topic has been covered here multiple times.

well I'm also trying to fit headers on this car but the headers I can get are all in a 1-2-1 port layout (idk how to describe it but I hope y'all will understand), the heads I can get from jegs or summit are all in a 2-2 layout exhaust port. Any recommendations of what I should do? My current heads have lots of rust on it.
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Maintained

well I'm also trying to fit headers on this car but the headers I can get are all in a 1-2-1 port layout (idk how to describe it but I hope y'all will understand), the heads I can get from jegs or summit are all in a 2-2 layout exhaust port. Any recommendations of what I should do? My current heads have lots of rust on it.
you need headers for a small-block OLDSMOBILE engine in a 1972 Cutlass body.
Lots of manufacturers make these.
Old June 28th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Step AWAY from the catalog.

Sorry, but your two posts demonstrate that you need to educate yourself about Oldsmobiles BEFORE you buy any parts. Every single Oldsmobile factory cylinder head has the two center exhaust ports side-by-side. Whatever you are looking at that has something different is NOT an Oldsmobile head.

This is an Olds exhaust gasket.

Old June 28th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

As Joe said those Oldsmobile heads you see will bolt to your 350 but need the Performer RPM intake and need the chambers milled 10cc smaller. What year 350 do you have? Stock inside? The divider is very close to outside, people have welded the center split exhaust divider but for small gain on your 350, leave it alone.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; June 28th, 2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old July 6th, 2017, 06:20 AM

Here are few of us who have done SBO with Edelbrock aluminium heads, including myself. I can say there is no point to build low rpm near stock build with E-brocks. If you have decent #5,#6 or #7 iron heads available, go with them. E-brock heads are a good choice if you are aiming to build higher reving engine. Also, with E-brocks you basically have to build the shortblock completely designed to achieve decent compr. with big 77cc chambers. Also, you can not use mechanical fuel pump with these heads. Also the steering pump may not clear as is. Intake choices are limited to E-brock RPM or single plane Victory.
Old July 7th, 2017, 04:21 PM

You need to put in where you're located in your username. Possibly another member lives nearby and/or has a set of 4/5/6/7 heads and/or can steer you to a Oldsmobile savvy machine shop. It looks like you have a 1972 Supreme. #7's are decent heads stock but with some modification can be taken to the next step. It's a matched combination between carb/intake/heads/cam/ rear gears, yada yada. Look at some of the combinations in the small block threads.