Exhaust Cutout Valves?

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2017, 08:43 PM

Exhaust Cutout Valves?

So I want the option to run my car in quiet cruising around mode for those nice Sunday drives and also be able to scream along with the best of them when the time is right.

I have looked into a few electric cut outs but I'm not sure what to buy and what the quality difference is in all of them. I also have the problem where I don't know what size exhaust piping is on my car or how to properly measure it. So could someone please point me in the right direction here. Also I'm not looking to spend a ton of money doing this but I want it to sound good and be done right.

What electric exhaust cut out is the best bang for your buck?

What problems arise with them? What fails on them (if anything)?

How well would they stand up to weather such as rain and snow?

What size piping is the exhaust on an '84 Delta 88 5.0L 307? Or How do I measure it properly?

If you can think of any other things to add that I didn't not think about asking feel free to mention them. I need all the help I can get!

Thanks ,

Justin
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Justin, do you have aftermarket exhaust on your Delta, or is it stock? Most folks that put cutouts on their cars at least have dual exhaust.

When I was in the Olds Club of America in KCMO years ago there was an older couple who owned a 77 98 coupe with manual cutouts. I remember getting on my back and removing the cutouts for him before the cruise-in.

I suggest you go to a local exhaust shop and get a quote. It would probably be pretty reasonable if you found a good, high rated shop. The biggest cost would be hardware and labor for wiring up an electrical circuit. Actually installing the cutouts would be stupid easy for an exhaust shop.

FWIW, here is one offered by Summit that's rated pretty well.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...50-2/overview/
Old June 14th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

A pair of the electric cutouts are not cheap and then there is the installation costs. I am guessing you will be in for at least $500. Be sure and read the reviews on the different ones. I have seen some reviews that they did not work very good. As Olds64 mentioned, you should have dual exhaust.
Old June 14th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Outside of being annoying, what practical use do you have for exhaust cutouts? They will not increase your performance, they will sound like crap without headers and a cam. Spend your money on things that will give you more bang for your buck.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Mr. Johnson

I got the kit from summit with the y-pipe's and wire harness included. Installing it wasn't that bad either. I will say I probably lost power running them open and the cheap servo ones from summit don't seal all the way and the sound will drive you nuts! Another thing to think about is placement, In hindsight I wish I would of moved them back a few more inches so the cutouts were behind the door. The drone at idle will melt the wax right outta your ears.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
They will not increase your performance, they will sound like crap without headers and a cam. Spend your money on things that will give you more bang for your buck.
But, they're SOOO cool!
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Outside of being annoying, what practical use do you have for exhaust cutouts? They will not increase your performance, they will sound like crap without headers and a cam. Spend your money on things that will give you more bang for your buck.

X2 these will create more problems than they are worth. Some of the electric cutouts have (SMH) plastic gears in them and they (go figure) melt when they get hot. No way to tell unless you open them up to see. Spend your money on the basic go fast stuff.....low restriction exhaust and intake systems.
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Good advice and feedback and i think I'm going to stay away from the exhaust cutouts unless I go with a manual one. I'll definitely be looking into a full exhaust system as well.
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This makes me remember back in the day (the 60's) when none of us could afford headers, we used dump pipes. We would go to a plumbing supply house and get a pair of 2" black pipe nipples and caps and have them welded into our exhaust pipes. Then we would get a piece of metal bar welded across the cap where we could take a hammer and tap the cap and unscrew it. We probably lost power but we were way cool running around with our dumps uncapped.