Stuck throttle plates

Old May 25th, 2017, 11:13 AM

Stuck throttle plates

Dear Friends,

I took off the CCC Qjet of my 307 and the throttle plates are totally stuck with black gunk. I have cleaned one side and left the other to contrast. I tried to rotate the two levers (shown in the other picture in red arrows) hoping to make these plates to rotate but they won't budge. Sprayed WD40 and carb cleaner but still no use.
Is there anything else that could be holding them? What should I do?

Note: Car idled without any hesitation when I started it after about 3 years. But when I stepped on the accelerator pedal, it didn't rev or move down as expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170525_021928.jpg (229.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg
$_1.JPG (21.8 KB, 53 views)
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by kuseetha
Dear Friends,

I took off the CCC Qjet of my 307 and the throttle plates are totally stuck with black gunk. I have cleaned one side and left the other to contrast. I tried to rotate the two levers (shown in the other picture in red arrows) hoping to make these plates to rotate but they won't budge. Sprayed WD40 and carb cleaner but still no use.
Is there anything else that could be holding them? What should I do?

Note: Car idled without any hesitation when I started it after about 3 years. But when I stepped on the accelerator pedal, it didn't rev or move down as expected.
Shooting blind here with "guesses", but look to see if any "linkage" on either side is binding it up. A few very light taps here and there on the blades or linkage might also help. I said light, very light like tapping on a jar lid to break a seal LOL
Old May 25th, 2017, 12:19 PM

It doesn't look like your linkage is binding. I suggest soaking it in cleaner for at least a week and then coming back to it. Pine-Sol is a good alternative to caustic cleaners like carburetor cleaner, diesel fuel or kerosene.
Old May 25th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

You do realize that the secondary throttle shaft (the RH lever in your second photo) has a lockout to prevent it from opening unless the choke is fully open, right? This lockout lever uses gravity for alignment and if the carb is not held in the correct position, it may lock the shaft at all times.
Old May 25th, 2017, 11:27 PM

The choke is definitely not open so I might have to look in to it with regard to the secondaries. The primaries are definitely stuck with gunk then.

When nothing is moving, it is kind of difficult to figure out how things are supposed to move. (never seen these before for real)

Thank you for all the comments I will post the results soon
Old May 26th, 2017, 03:46 AM
Administrator

When you say you started it after 3 years, was there fuel sitting in the tank for that long? Did it smell like varnish?
Old May 26th, 2017, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
When you say you started it after 3 years, was there fuel sitting in the tank for that long? Did it smell like varnish?
I disconnected the rubber hoses (incoming and return lines) below the fuel pump where it connects to metal lines and immersed those in a can of gasoline. And then I started the car.
Old May 26th, 2017, 05:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

As Joe said, the choke which should be on will prevent the secondary plates opening. But the primary plates should still open right up. If you push down on the fast idle cam and open the throttle, all four should move. I would say moisture must have sneaked in while sitting. It doesn't look extensive, must be just enough to freeze the plates.As said some light tapping should do it. Shoot WD-40 in the sides of shafts as well.
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

The computer-controlled Qjet requires careful attention to the tuning process to get it to run correctly. You MUST read and follow the adjustment process in the Chassis Service Manual EXACTLY. Failure to do so will result in a poorly-running car and a dissatisfied owner. Be sure every single vacuum hose is in good shape and connected correctly.
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:52 PM

Like mentioned, check that secondary lock out.
Most of them we get in with frozen shafts are heavy with corrosion and rust. Yours actually looks pretty clean to be frozen shut.
Remove the base plate from the carb body and soak it good.

We remove all the throttle blades and work shafts loose with heat and lubrication when they are severely stuck.
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Quadrajet Power
We remove all the throttle blades and work shafts loose with heat and lubrication when they are severely stuck.
Just be sure to file or grind the staking off the end of the throttle plate screws before trying to remove them.

Ask me how I know...
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Just be sure to file or grind the staking off the end of the throttle plate screws before trying to remove them.

Ask me how I know...
Yes, always grind off staked ends!
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Done!!!

Hi friends,

Hope this will be helpful to anyone encounter this problem in the future.

I manned up and removed the 3 torx nuts at the bottom and the two longer ones at the top and took off the lower plate that has the 4 throttles.

Immersed it in kerosene over a week, but didn't help.

Sprayed WD40 to the shafts in the morning, rotated and sprayed in the night for a week.

Finally kept it on the kitchen gas stove and heated it and left to cool till morning.

Again WD40 treatment for 2 days. Finally it started to move!!

Rotating the throttle plates gave a small sand crunching noise so sprayed a lot of carb cleaner on the shafts. Lots of black residue dripped down and now it moves all good.

Cleaned the outside of the carby with patrol and fixed the vacuum things (what do you call them?) after testing with the vacuum gauge.

Finally sprayed WD40 Silicon to the external shafts and now things look good.

A big thanks to all the valuable comments.
Old June 27th, 2017, 10:27 AM

Glad you got it clened up. Let us know how it runs.