215 heads removal sequence

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2017, 10:27 AM

215 heads removal sequence

Hello, i will be working on removing my engine today at my Grandpas house... I might need to take off the heads to get the engine to fit in my car for transport .. yeah my car..

Can anyone tell me the sequence in removing the bolts from the cylinder head. They are aloy so I don't want to damage them. Thanks for your time.
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
Hello, i will be working on removing my engine today at my Grandpas house... I might need to take off the heads to get the engine to fit in my car for transport .. yeah my car..

Can anyone tell me the sequence in removing the bolts from the cylinder head. They are aloy so I don't want to damage them. Thanks for your time.
It really doesn't matter. I've certainly never worried about it. The reason for a pre-determined torquing sequence is mainly to ensure good head gasket seal. That isn't an issue when taking it apart.
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:39 AM

I want to thank you Joe for your quick and direct reply, I did read it but was so busy that day. The day kinda sucked, my friend who has a cherry picker broke. This is 65miles from my home. Another guy told me to break the engine loose and with 30$ he would go over to lift it out. Found out my aunt had cancer that day too. I did remove all bolts connecting the 215 to the exhaust, mounts, bellhousing. This is my 1st engine I break down like this so I expected the engine and tranny to just come apart after I unbolted them from each other but that was not the case, any tips on how to break them apart with no damage. Thanks Joe.
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:40 AM

I want to thank you Joe for your quick and direct reply, I did read it but was so busy that day. The day kinda sucked, my friend who has a cherry picker broke. This is 65miles from my home. Another guy told me to break the engine loose and with 30$ he would go over to lift it out, but he flaked it on me, apparently some mens word is worthless. Found out my aunt had cancer that day too. I did remove all bolts connecting the 215 to the exhaust, mounts, bellhousing. This is my 1st engine I break down like this so I expected the engine and tranny to just come apart after I unbolted them from each other but that was not the case, any tips on how to break them apart with no damage. Thanks Joe.
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:49 AM

Since U Like Pics
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

I want to thank you Joe for your quick and direct reply, I did read it but was so busy that day. The day kinda sucked, my friend who has a cherry picker broke. This is 65miles from my home. Another guy told me to break the engine loose and with 30$ he would go over to lift it out. Found out my aunt had cancer that day too. I did remove all bolts connecting the 215 to the exhaust, mounts, bellhousing. This is my 1st engine I break down like this so I expected the engine and tranny to just come apart after I unbolted them from each other but that was not the case, any tips on how to break them apart with no damage. Thanks Joe.
Are the engine and trans still in the car? If so, you will need to pull them together and separate them out of the car. The Olds Rotohydramatic5 doesn't use a conventional torque converter - the fluid coupling is inside the trans. There is an input shaft that looks like the one on a manual trans that fits into a flywheel hub that looks like the center of a clutch disk. The configuration of the oil pan sump and crossmember won't allow you to pull the engine far enough forward to disengage that input shaft from the splines in the hub.

Once the engine and trans are out of the car, you'll likely just need to work them apart. The dowel pins often stick in the bellhousing alignment holes. Do be sure you have all the bolts out!
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:53 AM

The trans is still connected, I will do as you say. Thanks agian.
Old March 27th, 2017, 08:55 AM

The more I work on my olds the more I'm falling in love with them