Installing stock Exhaust system on my 72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Chris

Ok so..... first off Eric, you were right about the size of the bolts. Thanks so much. You saved me another trip back to the hw store.
Thank you all for all of your help with this. I truly appreciate it. It's all good now but i owe an explanation of what i did to fix it because it was a very stupid thing that I forgot to do and i would like others to learn from my mistake. I was talking to me best buddy whose doing a frame off resto at the same time as me (but with a chebby). He's always a few steps ahead of where I am in the process so I've learned a lot from him. Well, I was explaining my problem and he causally asked me of o had torqued down all my suspension bolts and trans and motor mount bolts after getting everything back in. I said of course! Who would forget to do that ha ha! But that night, as I lay in bed about 1 am, I replayed the process in my head a few times and realized that I didn't torque down the through bolt that attached the motor mount to the frame mount! I snuck out to the garage the next morning, and sure enough, They were loose with about 1/4" on each side of the bolts! I snugged them both down, and the front of the engine dropped down a significant amount, which then allowed for the head pipe to be at the right angle to meet the muffler. On top of that, the issue that I was having with the starter wires hitting the head pipe and exhaust manifold was cured as well! So I apologize if I wasted anyone's time but I truly appreciate all of your help. Hopefully someone can learn from this!
Chris