Fuel Tank Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Fuel Tank Install Questions

Hey All,

Would like some advice/education on the fuel tank for my 70' CS. Long story short, had the body shell replaced with a donor car due to rust damage on original body. Took some pics and notes of placement/parts but want to make sure I'm correct as I must have omitted this area due to a brainfart.

The fuel tank on my original was a single 3/8 fuel line without a return line and a single vent tube from the passenger side of the tank. With that said, the replacement tank I picked up is a direct replacement of my stock tank and can't remember what the setup was on the single vent tube coming out of the passenger side of the tank. Do I just cap that?
Old August 11th, 2016, 04:07 PM

I'm not so sure your original tank was original. To the best of my knowledge, the tank for all 1970 coupes had two vent pipes on the front, right corner. Each should have a short hose on it which then joins the two into a plastic surge tank with a foam breather on its end. The entire assembly is bent upwards and held in place with a clamp to the car's body.

That said, if you stick with the tank you've got, you can just attach a single vent hose and position it upwards. A piece of fuel-resistant, open-cell foam stuffed in the end would be a good idea to keep water and dirt out of your tank.

There's a possibility that with only one vent hot weather might push out some fuel, depending on how full the tank is and how level the ground. But from what I hear you might have the same problem with a reproduction tank with two vent pipes. Apparently they aren't building them correctly inside the tank; many people complain of their reproduction tanks "venting" liquid fuel onto the ground.