Smell of Gas under Medium/Hard Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Smell of Gas under Medium/Hard Acceleration

I've noticed with my currently Edelbrock Carburetor, when I accelerate medium/hard, I get a smell of gas. It's not directly related to when the secondaries open, as sometimes I deceleration from a highway to on ramp I get the same smell. There isn't a leak anywhere.

It's not raw gas, but the same smell as like what the air cleaner smells like.

I will say, I do believe the smell has gotten worse since I replaced the heater core, so I'm guessing the air/fumes are getting in somewhere where maybe they weren't before.

The charcoal canister line from the canister to the carb is plugged because edelbrock doesn't have a canister purge line on their 1406 and I'm using my ported for vacuum advance, but I don't think thats the problem anyway.

A lot of guys on other forums are talking about drilling small holes in the aftermarket air cleaners to vent to fumes into the carb, which is fine by me, but can't see how that's going to work.. The fumes are coming from the carb.

Anyone else have similar problems?
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Does your engine have blow by, oil smoke exiting the valve cover breather or oil filler tube? The smell may be entering through holes in your fire wall. Another possibility is exhaust fumes are entering the car through holes in the floor board or worn out trunk weather stripping.
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Does your engine have blow by, oil smoke exiting the valve cover breather or oil filler tube? The smell may be entering through holes in your fire wall. Another possibility is exhaust fumes are entering the car through holes in the floor board or worn out trunk weather stripping.
Not excessive blowby. I have had a couple of times where the pvc grommet leaked a drop or two, but it's not bad.

It really does smell like gas. I will be honest, right before It shifts I get a little popping from the exhuast, whichI 'm not sure if it's lean or rich.

it used to pop on deceleration out the exhaust, and the calibrating the rods/jets, etc got rid of that. So I'm not sure if I might be a little lean or rich right before shift. But if it's rich, it could explain it.

The trunk and floorboards aren't rotted, etc, but on that note, there are two plugs/grommets that I removed and didn't replace, could be contributing to the smell, but hmm. Thats a lot of fumes for a couple of small holes. Thanks for triggering that idea!