Type of Engine for my 85 Cutty for Sound

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Question Type of Engine for my 85 Cutty for Sound

Hello everyone! I am also a newbie here and am glad that I have found this forum. It looks like there are several knowledgable people out there that know their Olds cars. I have a 1985 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham with the V6 231 in it. The 231 has a lot of miles on it and is starting to shoot craps on me so I am looking for a new engine. The V6 never really had as much power as I wanted. I also want the deep growl sound of a flowmaster type exhaust so what engine would you suggest for me to get that would fit with my car? Also, is there any engine that I can get that will suit my wants without having to change my transmission? These are all questions that may seem basic but I am not the smartest with this kind of thing. It would be greatly appreciated if you all could give me some information and input on what I should. Thanks guys!

Also, if you all know of any information where I can get a good engine for my needs for a reasonable price, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:22 AM

The optional engine in your year Olds was a 307 V8. About 145hp, I believe. I do not think that your V6 tranny is a good match for it though. If you want a growl, some sort of "turbo" muffler will get you some sound. A local Mieneke will do that. Your 231 v6 is getting around 110hp, give or take. They (GM) did put 4 barrels on some pontiac Gran Prix's with that motor in the 80's. My friend had one in High school. He turned the air cleaner cover upside down and got some more noise. But anyway, if your going to replace the engine, maybe a 350 Olds Rocket engine will get you in the right direction, as the size of it is no bigger than a 307 and you get more cubes, which is the easy way (typically) of getting more power. But, you most likely have a light duty trans. that won't hold up to that. To sum it up, look for a 307, or better yet, a 350 if you want more performance, to start. Then you have emmisions, gear ratios, etc. But that I'll leave to more knowledgable people in this group. But you came to the right place. Good luck.
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM

engine options...

okay i know this is a late response but its my day off and no offence but i couldnt help notice your handle/name...first off your gonna want a 307 or 350 like everyone has stated...my second thing is your name is saying something...cuttyon22's....my friend you are gonna kill yourself...i dont care how many people say it safe or there is a kit out there or it looks cool but the truth is all of the above are wrong....it aint safe...i am a front end repairman/alignment technician and i worked for gm for a little while and trust me the angles that those ball joints are at are not good,the kits that are out there still dont make it right because the cars frame and suspension are not load rated or designed for that tall of a wheel and tire combo(clearance issues) and it just looks stupid my freind...when i worked at goodyear as a alignment/tire guy i had a dude with an 87 monte carlo wanting 22's...first i laughed at him then i asked why he would do that to a perfectly fine ss monte,the truth is is if your name is gonna reflect what you plan on doing to the car please for your saftey and those around you rethink it cause i live here in los angeles and everyone thinks they look cool but being dead cause your balljoint failed going around a corner trying to impress the ladies with your "jacked up" ride is not cool......a mother and infant boy were killed last month just up the street from where i work...seems the black 85 monte carlo on 22's that was rolling around the hood was showing off and took the corner at over 45mph and the passenger side ball joint failed...car rolled onto its roof and slid onto the sidewalk killing a young mother and her infant son punk kid survived .....im stonecold serious....dont be that guy 18's max on your car they make nice bling wheels in less than a 22...just my 2 cents and sad truth....take it how you want and happy engine hunting
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM

put in a chevy 350 and 20's max
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by monsterpuff
put in a chevy 350 and 20's max
Olds 350 is nearly a drop-in. Chevy requires rewiring and fabrication.

C.J.
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:53 PM

engine swap

if u put a 307 or a 350 in ur cutty then the biggest deal u are going to have to do is change the frame mounts for the engine ( u can get them from a delta or anything with the 307 or 350 in it) now u can also go with a 455, it fits right in also with the small block frame mounts. U also haveto put new springs in the front i usally go with the diesel cutlass springs i have done this change over many times so if u have any outher ?'s just email me
Old November 20th, 2006, 06:07 PM

I don't think any motor will fit that tranny, but yeah do an Olds 350.

Simple drop in and go, and please keep in under 18's

Guys at work say I'm corny becuase I want to put 15" weld draglite on the car, but even if I wasn't going to be racing the car, let's see.

a 15 x 8 draglite weighs about 13 to 14 lbs (I called Jegs since I could find an answer) and a 22 x 10 weighs a tad over 70 lbs. Stock 14" Olds ralley wheels are about 19 lbs a pop, which is what the Delta's rollin on. I'll save 14 lbs with a Weld and BFG tire combo. but with 22's, yo, I'll add over 180 lbs.

I didn't mention how assine that looks too, but it's you're car, just trying to give my 2 cents