Installing #5 Heads with Studs

Old April 25th, 2016, 10:59 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Installing #5 Heads with Studs

Hello All!

I am once again working on my 350 build after a slight hiatus (about a year)! I am at the point of installing the heads. I have #5 heads that have been ported, milled and such and I have the ARP head stud kit to install with them. My questions:

1. Which (if any) studs need thread sealer for the water jackets?
2. During installation I will be using ARP lube (recommended). What is the torque spec for that lubrication? The box I have doesn't have that information for some reason.

Thanks Everyone! It's good to be working on my project again!

Bryon
Old April 25th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1968CutlassSupreme
1. Which (if any) studs need thread sealer for the water jackets?
None of them. This ain't no Chebby.
Old April 25th, 2016, 12:36 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
None of them. This ain't no Chebby.
LOL, Okay. That literally made me laugh! Thank you Joe, I needed that!

Would you happen to know the answer to question number two?
Old April 25th, 2016, 01:50 PM

Per the website, hope this helps.

"We spent two years developing ARP Ultra-Torque and we have come up with what we believe to be the ultimate fastener lubricant. All of our torque values are based on using Ultra-Torque. We do not provide torque values for use with any other fastener assembly lubricant (such as motor oil, moly lube, etc.) Use these other lubes at your own risk, as their use may lead to a part or engine failure, for which we are not responsible."
Old April 25th, 2016, 07:11 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Ummm, I just saw something on my head stud kit...it says that it is for an Olds 455. Will this work on a 350 with #5 heads?
Old April 26th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

They should work, both will be 7/16" thread. I would contact ARP, they should know the torque spec with their lube and the applications they work with. Too few of us use the head studs.
Old April 26th, 2016, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Ummm, I just saw something on my head stud kit...it says that it is for an Olds 455. Will this work on a 350 with #5 heads?
All 1964-1976 Olds V8 motors use exactly the same head bolts/studs. The aftermarket studs will not have the mounting provisions for the accessory brackets, however.
Old April 26th, 2016, 08:54 AM

ARP clearly lists torque values on it's website both for part numbers and also bolt diameters
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:29 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All 1964-1976 Olds V8 motors use exactly the same head bolts/studs. The aftermarket studs will not have the mounting provisions for the accessory brackets, however.
Joe,

Are you referring to air conditioning when you say accessory brackets? I don't recall during disassembly there being any accessory brackets tied to the head bolts (of course that was 18 months ago). Could you clarify this for me? Should I go ahead and get a set of bolts instead?

Bryon
Old April 26th, 2016, 09:35 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
ARP clearly lists torque values on it's website both for part numbers and also bolt diameters
Sir,

Would you kindly post them here since you've been so easily able to find these specifications? I see on ARP a lot being mentioned about preload testing and fastener testing, but nothing clearly stating what their torque specs should be.

Respectfully.

Bryon
Old April 26th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe,

Are you referring to air conditioning when you say accessory brackets? I don't recall during disassembly there being any accessory brackets tied to the head bolts (of course that was 18 months ago). Could you clarify this for me? Should I go ahead and get a set of bolts instead?

Bryon
Depending on the year, it might be the A/C bracket or the alternator bracket.

Old April 30th, 2016, 08:29 PM

I use the stock specs right out of the shop manual, with studs.

Gene
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:44 AM

I am using the 7/16" head studs on my BB that I purchased many years ago from Mondellos. Here's what the instruction sheet said that came with them -
To ensure proper thread engagement and accurate torque readings clean and re-tap all bolt threads in the block. Install short studs in the 4 lower corners and remainder of long studs "HAND TIGHT ONLY". Do not use loctite. Install and torque to 80 Ft.-Lbs. on 7/16" studs. Always use oil on the threads.

Now this is printed in Mondello's Technical Reference Manual -
All 7/16" studs (heads and mains) 92 Ft.-Lbs. If using ARP Moly Assembly Lube, torque values will be less, check ARP specifications before tightening.

This is straight from ARP -

Automotive Racing Products Tel: (805) 339-2200
1863 Eastman Avenue Fax: (805) 650-0742
Ventura, Ca 93003 www.arp-bolts.com

INSTALLATION METHOD FOR HEAD STUD KITS

200,000 PSI 7/16 inch Diameter

1. To ensure proper thread engagement and accurate torque readings, clean ALL threads in the block. Chase ifnecessary with ARP Thread Chaser.

2. Clean and inspect all hardware prior to installation. Look for obvious defects or shipping damages, plus proper fit,length and dimension.

3. If the cylinder head studs protrude into a water jacket, lubricate the block threads of the studs with ARP

THREAD SEALER.

4. Screw studs into the block “HAND TIGHT ONLY”.

NOTE: LOCTITE MAY BE USED IF A PERMANENT MOUNTING OF THE STUDS IS PREFERRED. THE

FASTENERS, HOWEVER, MUST BE TORQUED PRIOR TO THE LOCTITE SETTING UP.

5. Install the cylinder head(s) and check for binding or misalignment.

6. Lubricate the stud threads, nuts and washers with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.Then install the washers and the nuts onto the studs and tighten them hand tight.

ARP recommends using the

ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT that is provided with each kit as opposed tomotor oil. This is due to higher friction on the studs as well as inconsistencies in the clamping force of the fasteners when motor oil or other low quality lubricants are used.

PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS

7. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts

in three equal steps to 80 ft lbs
with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.

Note:
ARP Ultra-Torque Fastener Assembly Lubricant has been specifically designed to reduce tension preload scatter and

eliminate the need to cycle high performance engine fasteners before final installation. ARP Ultra-Torque far surpasses all

requirements offered by previous ARP lubricants in terms of fastener preload repeatability and performance lubricating.

I torque mine to 92 Ft.-Lbs. in three steps, using clean engine oil.
Don't over think it.
Hope this helps, Dave - The Freak

Last edited by 67 Cutlass Freak; May 1st, 2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old May 1st, 2016, 07:11 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Originally Posted by 67 Cutlass Freak
I am using the 7/16" head studs on my BB that I purchased many years ago from Mondellos. Here's what the instruction sheet said that came with them -
To ensure proper thread engagement and accurate torque readings clean and re-tap all bolt threads in the block. Install short studs in the 4 lower corners and remainder of long studs "HAND TIGHT ONLY". Do not use loctite. Install and torque to 80 Ft.-Lbs. on 7/16" studs. Always use oil on the threads.

Now this is printed in Mondello's Technical Reference Manual -
All 7/16" studs (heads and mains) 92 Ft.-Lbs. If using ARP Moly Assembly Lube, torque values will be less, check ARP specifications before tightening.

This is straight from ARP -

Automotive Racing Products Tel: (805) 339-2200
1863 Eastman Avenue Fax: (805) 650-0742
Ventura, Ca 93003 www.arp-bolts.com

INSTALLATION METHOD FOR HEAD STUD KITS

200,000 PSI 7/16 inch Diameter

1. To ensure proper thread engagement and accurate torque readings, clean ALL threads in the block. Chase ifnecessary with ARP Thread Chaser.

2. Clean and inspect all hardware prior to installation. Look for obvious defects or shipping damages, plus proper fit,length and dimension.

3. If the cylinder head studs protrude into a water jacket, lubricate the block threads of the studs with ARP

THREAD SEALER.

4. Screw studs into the block “HAND TIGHT ONLY”.

NOTE: LOCTITE MAY BE USED IF A PERMANENT MOUNTING OF THE STUDS IS PREFERRED. THE

FASTENERS, HOWEVER, MUST BE TORQUED PRIOR TO THE LOCTITE SETTING UP.

5. Install the cylinder head(s) and check for binding or misalignment.

6. Lubricate the stud threads, nuts and washers with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.Then install the washers and the nuts onto the studs and tighten them hand tight.

ARP recommends using the

ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT that is provided with each kit as opposed tomotor oil. This is due to higher friction on the studs as well as inconsistencies in the clamping force of the fasteners when motor oil or other low quality lubricants are used.

PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS

7. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts

in three equal steps to 80 ft lbs
with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.

Note:
ARP Ultra-Torque Fastener Assembly Lubricant has been specifically designed to reduce tension preload scatter and

eliminate the need to cycle high performance engine fasteners before final installation. ARP Ultra-Torque far surpasses all

requirements offered by previous ARP lubricants in terms of fastener preload repeatability and performance lubricating.

I torque mine to 92 Ft.-Lbs. in three steps, using clean engine oil.
Don't over think it.
Hope this helps, Dave - The Freak
That's great Dave! It helps immensely! Thank you very much!