Olds 307 swap advice

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2016, 11:55 PM

Olds 307 swap advice

Man I'm glad to have found this fourum! I have what I thought would be an easy question to answer but I'm striking out on getting answers. I have a 1987 Buick Estate wagon with the Olds 307. Now I'm a Ford guy and don't know a lot about GM's but I've fallen in love with B body's recently. I do not know which transmission is in this car. All I know is that it is an OD transmission, and the car has an Olds 307 with the computer controlled carburetor. Well the engine spun a bearing the other day and now needs to be replaced. My question is this, what engines can I simply drop in that will bolt up? And what would be required to put a Chevy 350 in it? I'm hearing everything from "you would just need to move the crossmember" to " you would need a different transmission, crossmember, driveshaft, and rearend. Obviously the easiest thing would be to put a new 307 in it but that engine hardly had enough power to keep the car out of its own way. I'd really like to drop in a 350 and get rid of the computer controlled carb and just go with a MSD ignition, but is that really a viable option? Thank you all so much for your input and advice!
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:03 AM

Any SBO will bolt in. If you want to keep it on the computer obviously a 307 is the easiest way to go, but a lot of guys have done a 350 swap and kept it on the computer. I don't know about going to a 403, but it may be possible.
Now if you don't care about keeping the computer then you can go hog wild if you wanted to and even go with a 455.
The trans is a 200 4R and I'm guessing it has some miles on it. If you decide to put more power in the car I would strongly suggest having it beefed up.
Going to a chevy is possible (it's the same as a caprice after all), but you would want to swap the engine harness for one from a cop car to make it easier. Then the engine mounts would need to be changed and probably some exhaust work.
An Olds engine might bolt up to the stock exhaust, all depending on what you go with.
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:17 AM

Found a bunch of answers

Well after posting my question I found a bunch of threads with much of the info I was looking for. Sorry about that, newbee mistake. So I guess my biggest question now is what to do about the CCC. If I find an Olds 350 from a nonCCC car, what's it going to take to get my car running without the CCC and what systems are not going to work without it?
Old February 26th, 2016, 02:35 AM

I'd like to do away with the computer and all the emissions control stuff but what would it effect or what wouldn't work if I got rid of the computer and went with a MSD ignition?
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:38 AM

The only thing I know for sue is if you get rid of the computer you will have a couple of issues. The torque converter won't lock up and the transmission won;t shift correctly. That can be fixed with a stand alone controller for the trans. And if you want to keep the A/C you will have to rig something or the compressor won't kick on.
If you are not worried about gas mileage then go for broke with a 455 (just my opinion). With the overdrive the mileage won't be too bad when cruising and the fun factor is just that much amplified.
Old February 26th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
The only thing I know for sue is if you get rid of the computer you will have a couple of issues. The torque converter won't lock up and the transmission won;t shift correctly. That can be fixed with a stand alone controller for the trans. And if you want to keep the A/C you will have to rig something or the compressor won't kick on.
Slight correction. The 200-4R trans is NOT computer controlled. It will shift just fine without the ECU. The only thing the computer does to the trans is the converter lockup. This is a simple 12V solenoid valve and there are many aftermarket kits available to control it, ranging from a simple toggle switch for manual control to a speed-sensing system.
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Slight correction. The 200-4R trans is NOT computer controlled. It will shift just fine without the ECU. The only thing the computer does to the trans is the converter lockup. This is a simple 12V solenoid valve and there are many aftermarket kits available to control it, ranging from a simple toggle switch for manual control to a speed-sensing system.
Thanks Joe.
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:43 PM

thank you both for that. But I do want to keep the AC. Gas mileage doesn't matter as this is a toy for me. So a 455 big block will mount to car? If I go that big, shouldn't I just get a more heavy duty trans also?
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bbodywagon
thank you both for that. But I do want to keep the AC. Gas mileage doesn't matter as this is a toy for me. So a 455 big block will mount to car? If I go that big, shouldn't I just get a more heavy duty trans also?
Trust me you will be much happier if you keep the (a) 200 4R in there. They have been built to live in 9 second cars, so I think you can get one to live behind a 455. There is an easy fix for the A/C, but you will have to get with some of the guys that have done it.
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by svnt442
Trust me you will be much happier if you keep the (a) 200 4R in there. They have been built to live in 9 second cars, so I think you can get one to live behind a 455. There is an easy fix for the A/C, but you will have to get with some of the guys that have done it.
Beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.

The wiring mod for the A/C is easy. Keeping the 200-4R requires it to be built to take the 455's torque. Expect to pay upwards of $1700 for a properly built trans and converter. Changing to a TH400 requires a new driveshaft.
Old February 27th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.

The wiring mod for the A/C is easy. Keeping the 200-4R requires it to be built to take the 455's torque. Expect to pay upwards of $1700 for a properly built trans and converter. Changing to a TH400 requires a new driveshaft.
Well okay then. Sounds like a plan to me! I really appreciate the input. This will be a pretty sweet wagon when it's all done.
Old February 7th, 2019, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bbodywagon
Well okay then. Sounds like a plan to me! I really appreciate the input. This will be a pretty sweet wagon when it's all done.
Hello! I am in love with my 90 Buick LeSabre estate wagon as well! The 307 in it, not so much!! Was just curious how this project went. And if you could give any advice, as I am in a struggle to either swap Oldsmobile 350 or do a LS swap all together.
Old February 7th, 2019, 08:11 PM

Hi

i never ended up getting a chance to do anything with it. I sold my house and had to move and I didn’t have anywhere to keep it at my new house. I hated to do it but I had to part with it. But if you have an Instagram account, you need to look up dustinlarrimore He has one that looks just like my old wagon but has an LS. He’s done the swap more than once and could probably give you some great advice.
Old February 7th, 2019, 09:27 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The only thing needed to swap a mild Olds 330, 350 or 403, totally direct swaps if complete motors. The full size starter and dual exhaust are two good upgrades. The LS will cost more to do right and don't go any less than a 6L, no bottom end torque.