Top End Rebuild/Noisy Lifter

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Top End Rebuild/Noisy Lifter

When I bought my '71 Cutlass S with the original SBO 350 Rocket, my brother said he figured a top end rebuild was in order due to a noisy lifter. Being that he's much more conversant with V8s than I am, it would be fairly safe to say that it needs it. The car sat for over a decade before I got it and probably wasn't started much (if at all) during that time.

All my engine knowledge is based on the air cooled VWs, so defining the scope of a "top end rebuild" isn't something I'm familiar with. I haven't done a compression check yet, but the engine does run strong and doesn't sound too horrible. The noisy lifter seems to be on the passenger side but I haven't done any diagnosis or checking for exhaust leaks yet.

My long term plans for the car are still in flux, particularly in regards to whether I'll eventually give the current engine a full rebuild or drop in a BBO at some point so I don't want to go overboard on this spring maintenance.

The engine is stock with a QJet. Not sure how many miles on it or if it was ever rebuilt.

So, assuming I just do the lifters and replace the cam, what sort of shopping list should I plan for (parts and machining)? Would it be worthwhile pulling the heads and having them freshened at this point (while trying to avoid the MAWs which would lead to new rings, ah hell let's do the rod bearings, well jeez in for a penny in for a pound rebuild the damned engine now, which I don't have the budget for yet!)

What do "you" consider to be included in a top end rebuild?
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:48 AM

I consider a top end rebuild to include a fresh valve job, which may as well include new valves, guides - depending on wear, new cam/ lifters, all new gaskets/ seals & a carb overhaul. You could easily spend $750-$1000 just on the heads. You may want to do a little diagnostic work to pinpoint the problem before you tear it all down. It may be something as simple as a broken rocker bridge. That's actually quite common. Good luck with your project.
Keep us posted, Dave - The Freak
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:30 PM

Exclamation

I agree with Cutlass Freak.....do a complete diagnostic to determine exactly what the "lifter noise" is....could be any number of things, from broken rocker stand, valve spring, loose valve guide, exhaust leak, possibly even stuck/dirty lifters from sitting, etc.

If the engine runs well, change the oil, do other routine maintenance (plugs/points, wires, etc.), and run it for a while until you can determine what to do, depending on what use you have for the car; no sense spending thousands on an engine upgrade/replacement, if you are not going to use it for racing, etc. They ran well then, and should run well now.....except for the stuff they call "gas" today....

Remember, too, that those engines require high concentrations of EOS (ZDDP) to prevent failure of camshafts/lifters.....something that is NOT present in modern motor oils!!
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Diagnostics are definitely first up, as soon as I make enough space in the shop to move around! I learned long ago that a good diagnostics approach can save a lot of time, money and unnecessary work.

The rocker bridge tip is very helpful - I wasn't aware of that possibility and it led me to some additional reading.

Is there an EOS additive that can/should be used in the engine?
Old February 18th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Question

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
Diagnostics are definitely first up, as soon as I make enough space in the shop to move around! I learned long ago that a good diagnostics approach can save a lot of time, money and unnecessary work.

The rocker bridge tip is very helpful - I wasn't aware of that possibility and it led me to some additional reading.

Is there an EOS additive that can/should be used in the engine?

Since I do not have any vehicles today that require EOS, I'm not sure what is out there.....!

I always used GM EOS supplement way back when, but I do not know if it is still available, or still the same; subsequent to that, I used Mopar EOS, but I believe that has also been phased out, due to environmental regulations.

That being said, I would look into this stuff:

http://zddplus.com/