Starter Install

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Kyle

Starter Install

Hey all,
Installing a PowerMaster 9510 on my Oldsmobile 350 and having a little bit of trouble. As far as fitment, I was finally able to get it up there, eventually just removed the header completely and let it hang. However, I am having troubles in my starter ~knowledge~. I pulled the pinion out and am asking for your opinion (no pun intended). I have attached photos of the pinion when it is pulled out and where it rests, versus when I am applying pressure keeping it completely extended. At what point is it in contact with the flywheel, the first or second situation? I have a shim that was included, but that would lengthen the throw, correct?
Another question, the tolerance is little to none as far as the gears. I can not even fit a paper clip in it, which I see many people using as a gauge. I already have one shim in there, should I just add more shims?? Like I know this is a starter for my application because I have seen it used on both this forum and gbodyforum.com, but I am not very experienced.
Respectfully,
Kyle.

Old January 8th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Kyle

Thank you for your input Vintage Chief. Manuals I have read and videos I have watched claim that the gear should only go about halfway on the flywheel, which really doesn't make sense. I don't see the harm in pushing it farther out so I may as well... It seems easier on the cogs. Thanks again.
Old January 12th, 2021, 12:04 PM

Really common for the starter drive gear to only engage about 1/2--2/3 of the flywheel tooth. This is visible based on the wear pattern of the flywheel teeth--the rearward half looks new, the front half of the teeth are worn.

Getting the radial distance correct is more important. You can gauge it til the cows come home, but if it sounds bad, it is bad. If it sounds good, it probably is good.
Old January 12th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Kyle

Yeah I ended up leaving the starter as is in the first position.

Using only the one shim that was provided made for too tight of a gear clearance, so I went out and bought some from Advanced Auto. 1/8 an inch was too much, so I settled in-between with about 3/32.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old January 12th, 2021, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 87Brougham
Yeah I ended up leaving the starter as is in the first position.

Using only the one shim that was provided made for too tight of a gear clearance, so I went out and bought some from Advanced Auto. 1/8 an inch was too much, so I settled in-between with about 3/32.

Thanks for the input guys.
Which shim are you talking about, the round one or the long flat one? If you follow the directions that came with your starter it will work perfectly.