Starter

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2019, 12:41 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Starter

Hi, can a starter be changed in a 350 with headman headers in the way? or can the solenoid be worked on. I need to replace the wires to the solenoid, so If I can get at it I will try to fix it, If the headers make it impossible to work on than off the mechanic for some costly work. thanks
Old August 12th, 2019, 01:47 PM

You MIGHT be able to mess around with the small wires with starter in place but you MIGHT need physical & psychological therapy during or after. More likely you might be able to unbolt the starter, pull it out of the bellhousing, stand it up vertical over the header with terminals facing the ground & do your thing.

I honestly think it still may be easiest to loosen header flange & remove collector bolts so the header can swivel. I find that it can be helpful to have something (piece of 6 x 6, milk crate, a sturdy cardboard box, etc) to rest the starter on so you can free up both hands to manipulate the wiring, whether you leave starter connected or just remove it at that point for more hand space & visibility can be determined when facing the task.

Be absolutely sure to remove the ground cable @ battery before embarking on any version of this endeavor.
Old August 12th, 2019, 02:17 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Thanks..yeah battery will be unplugged for a while...i fried the wires when the alt shorted out on the vavle cover. So have to fix those wires..when i folled the wire down that was cooked i didnt no if i could get my hands in there.
Old August 12th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Its not hard to break the header loose to get access to the starter if required. You'll need a new gasket/s to reinstall.
Old August 12th, 2019, 05:14 PM

I have Heddmans on my car and I found they actually help me with starter changes. When I unbolt the starter from the block, it drops down and gets caught between the headers and the oil pan and stays in place instead of me having to hold it with one hand while I disconnect the wires with the other. After the wires are disconnected, the starer can be moved forward, tilted, and maneuvered over the header tubes and out.
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:04 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Originally Posted by Fun71
I have Heddmans on my car and I found they actually help me with starter changes. When I unbolt the starter from the block, it drops down and gets caught between the headers and the oil pan and stays in place instead of me having to hold it with one hand while I disconnect the wires with the other. After the wires are disconnected, the starer can be moved forward, tilted, and maneuvered over the header tubes and out.

Sweet info, thank u sir..