Stainless valves in OE sizes?

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Stainless valves in OE sizes?

Do they exist?

I have 4 heads and looking for 1.875 intake and 1.562 exhaust. Do I have to get the heads opened to accept the larger valves? If so, how much am I looking at there?
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:01 PM

I found Mondello Performance products to have stailess oem and performance valves. I think they make their own. I am having 2.072" intake/ 1.680" exhaust posi-flow stainless installed in a set of #2 330 heads I bought from John for my 64' F-85. Any worthy machine shop can do this pretty easy. The valves and new hardened seats cost me around $400.00, machine shop fees estimated at $200 to $300 when complete..
Old September 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM

Valve Technologies is the company which I am sorry I currently cannot access .
Maybe you can google them
mike
Old September 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM

Is it better to just go with 2.07 intake 1.710 exhaust valves and get the heads sized for that?

Any ideas on cost?
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM

If your going to run pump gas for daily driver you need hardened seats installed as well. 1.710" exhaust valves do not work well with hardened seats.
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Ugh, really

So what size valves should I run?

I still want to run stainless valves and I was looking at Mondello's site and they have a set of harded valve seats upto a 1.680 valve.

So if that's my biggest valve I can run on exhaust, should I just go with the 2 inch valve for the intake?

Last edited by Redog; September 28th, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM

The larger valves are for a big block, and sounds like the heads you have for a small block. I would stay with size you have, just replace them with stainless.
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Talk to your machine shop guy because he can better tell you how to get the most bang for your buck. I went with the 2.072"int/1.680"exh. because I wanted good flowing heads to match Edlebrock Performer intake and new cam that will make ton's of low to mid-range torque. I will mostly drive around town and when needed hopefully will have power to spare.
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM

Call and talk to Jim at J & S Machine his contact information is here.

http://www.jsmachineoldsmobile.com/home.html

And just so you are aware, there are more places than Mondello for all of your Oldsmobile speed needs. And Cheaper and better quality too.

www.rocketracingperformance.com is another good place to try. I just went to thier website and it has changed recently. BUT call them and talk to John and he should be able to get you any valve you need.

Additionally, there is a valve vendor on Ebay (I think the username is thevalveguy or valveguy) that will be able to get you any size you need as long as you have the dimentions.

John
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by OlBluehairCruiser
I think they make their own.
No... they are outsourced, as well as 90% of his "custom" items. I know an outside vendor grinds his cams now too. Not exactly sure what is produced "in house" anymore...

John
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Is it better to just go with 2.07 intake 1.710 exhaust valves and get the heads sized for that?

Any ideas on cost?
IMO the SBO heads do not flow enough to justify the trouble and expense of valves that big. There are plenty of cars running right quick with the stock 1.560 exhaust valve. Go larger on the intake, 2.02 is all you need. As always, IMO.
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM

I found a place in Utah selling stock sized stainless valves. Plus a guy at my wife's school is going to do the machine work on the heads, for free

I'm probably going to need new springs. I probably will buy them from Mondello because they set the springs, and retainers as a kit for $179.

This guy at my wife's work said that if I'm sticking with the stock cam, it's not worth it to do stainless valves. Is this true? Also he said he'll do a 3 angle valve job and "clean them up" (does that mean port and polish?) and stick with the stock size.

I'll throw a cam in eventually, but not right now
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
I probably will buy them from Mondello because they set the springs, and retainers as a kit for $179.
What brand? Or in other words what brand did they rebadge with the Mondello name?

Have you shopped around or are you going with a "name"?

you really need to check out https://www.rocketracingperformance....alog/index.php for your HP needs.

John
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM

If you don't mind the extra expense and your using the same size valves in my opinion I would use stainless because they are superior to oem stuff. The port and polish option is usually not included in valve installation or valve job. If thats something your considering more that likely will be an extra fee on top of valves, spring installation and 3 angle valve job.....Sounds like your making progress..
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM

All the machine work is FREE!!

I love my wife's work