Screeeeeeeeeeeee

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Screeeeeeeeeeeee

If you've ever tried to start an already-started car you will be familiar with the zinging scream sound it makes. Well, when I started my '89 Custom Cruiser (the GOOD one, w/the 5.0-liter V8 & RWD) this morning, out of nowhere that sound started as soon as I turned the key.

From then on I tried to leave the engine running as often as possible, but have had to start her up three more times, with that horrific sound lasting as long as the key is turned.

Good news (I think) is that she starts and runs like a champ w/o problems other than the huge scary sound.

I've had cars that had teeth knocked off their flywheels before (not by me) but in that case this noise didn't accompany it. I've also had starters fail before, but never sound like a running In-Sink-Erator filled with nickels.

So, in abject terror, I cast this question into the great void, hoping that the correct (and hopefully not that expensive) repair answer visits my PC before I need to drive her again.

Thanks in advance,

Drew
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
same but different

The repair, would likely involve a new starter and hopefully, thats all. A new fly wheel could be a possibility as well. A close inspection of the teeth on the flywheel will tell the story and a verdict could be made.

In my experience from what you described, the bendix mechinism has not been fully ingaging. And by your description, its not fully retracting as well.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
Past Administrator

X2 on a new starter, hope the flywheel is ok.
Old December 4th, 2010, 03:07 AM

When you throw your questions into the great void, please use something sticky on the backside so that when it glances off an object it will stay stuck long enough for some of us to read the question and respond in a timely fashion...
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:16 AM

Sounds like the starter drive to me - easily replaceabe if you don't want to just throw money at it!
Starters are a piece of cake to rebuild, and I think all the parts are still out there!
AKA: bendix!!
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

I'm happy to report that the flywheel is fine. Turns out that it was the thingie that was supposed to do that thing but that wouldn't do that thing or that DID do that thing but it did it when it wasn't supposed to and/or wouldn't stop doing it.

[Bad starter. A new one solved the problem. Thanks, all!]