Quadrajett's days are numbered

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:10 PM

Quadrajett's days are numbered

For those that don't know, I have an 85 Delta 88 with the orginal 307.

The carb is giving me so much crap right now, I'm ready to just dump it and throw on the edelbrock 600 CFM carb that's going on the 330.

Here is the list of parts I think I need.
  • carb to manifold plate
  • fuel line
  • AN fittings (need to know size to stock fuel pump)
  • inline fuel filter
  • 200R4 lock up kit
  • distrubtor with vacuum advance

I have most of the parts. Not too upset about doing this since everything will swap over to the 330

Did I miss anything?

Also on my car, what is ECU controlled? I want to keep the idiot lights. Oil, low fuel, hi temp, etc.

Also the air pump and air tubes are going away as well
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:27 PM

Get a kit for the Q-jet - they're easy if you follow the instructions, unless the throttle shaft is worn!
Maybe $35-50 used at a yard!
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM

Yeah I could rebuild, but I'm thinking about getting headers and I'll be dumping the o2 sensor
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:11 PM

Any exhaust shop can weld the bung in - $25!
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:03 AM

I see no advantages in dumping your stock Qjet for an Edelbrock unless you're planning on de-computerizing your car anyway for a future engine swap and you just want to get it out of the way now.....in which case a non CCC Qjet would still be better than an Edelbrock. My opinion of course

The ECM doesn't control your idiot lights but you will have to do some minor wiring to retain AC and cruise control if you switch to a non-computer setup.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:25 AM

Can a Qjet be mounted on an Edelbrock 7111 manifold, and can an Edelbrock be mounted on a stock Olds manifold without an adapter plate?

Just weighing my options right now
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Can a Qjet be mounted on an Edelbrock 7111 manifold, and can an Edelbrock be mounted on a stock Olds manifold without an adapter plate?

Just weighing my options right now.

How hard is it to rebuild the Qjet? Anything to watch out for?
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I just rebuilt one today.

Watch out for:
  • All those little tiny parts (especially clips) that like to take flight and be free
  • "Adjustments" that past idiots (including commercial rebuilders) have made
  • Cliff Ruggles's damned advice to remove the idle air tubes for cleaning - there was no way they were coming out like he said they would - wound up wrecking them and drilling them out, and now I've got to buy replacements.

Aside from that, if you've got patience, decent motor skills, and good vision (or two pairs of reading glasses of different magnifications ), it's no problem - just takes a while to get all the adjustments just right (I always compare the instructions and specs in the package with the CSM point for point before I even start).

It's a lot cheaper than buying a new one, and it you're not careful, you might learn something.

- Eric
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:02 AM

I had clearance problems mounting my Edelbrock 600 onto my 77 Cutlass with the 350R. Since the Edelbrock is a wider carb than the Quadrajet, the linkage came in contact with the egr casting on the intake. This will be the case with the original cast iron intake and the Edelbrock aluminum intake (with the egr port) I ended up having to use a 2 inch spacer and a very short air filter, in order to get linkage to clear and the hood closed. I will say that the car was never more reliable and easy to start after doing so. I do have a quadrajet on my 76 Cutlass that was rebuilt by a friend. Original carb to the car, and that thing is just as easy to start and drive as my 77 was with the Edelbrock. Quadrajets are decent carbs. If you do attempt to rebuild it, make sure you submerge the parts in a parts washer. Don't just spray it with carb cleaner.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:31 AM

I have a 307olds with q-jet , i rebuild it and clean it cause i have some problems, it was my first carburetor i ever cleaned, i just took pics from when i disasemble it if i should forgot something where part goes, i took the parts in a diesel bath for 2 wheeks,

and use compressed air after to dry parts and stuff, i assemble it again and get my engine run again,and it run smooth and clean. the carburetor was very dirty, i just buy the gasket rebuild kit with akslerator pump,and fuel needle, i use the old float but with new balancer for the fuel needle, the choke i do nothing with..but maybe i should. im happy with my result anyway :P
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Carb issues aside, don' forget you have the swirl port heads on your car.
(assuming it's a stock 85)

The use of a non-stock intake would make it run like poo if it ran at all due to major port mis-match.

Same mis-match when it comes to the use of headers as well.
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

The 7A heads and A5 intake suck (or don't, on the intake side). In any case, the E-brock carb will bolt to the Qjet intake, you don't need an adapter plate. The E-brock has both bolt patterns and the primary bores should be encompassed within the Qjet openings in the manifold. Per your list above, you're replacing pretty much everything that's controlled by the ECU. The only thing left is the A/C compressor clutch, which is ECU controlled to cut out at W.O.T. 1984-earlier used a W.O.T. switch on the accelerator.
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Does anybody know what size AN fitting the fuel pump is?

I'm not swapping the intake and as for headers, I would like to swap them in place now. How bad would it run with headers?

It is an 85 motor with the 7A heads and A5 intake manifold. All going away in the future to make room for the 330, but I want to do the exhaust now, so it's one less thing I have to worry about later
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:35 PM

ttt anybody?