Procedure for installing Rocker Arms/Bridges

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Procedure for installing Rocker Arms/Bridges

Its time to put the rockers and bridges back on my 330, what is the correct way to install them? Do you do them pairs since they share the bridge? Do you rotate the cam till both the intake and exhaust of a set are on the base circle and then tighten them down to the torque setting? I am familiar with the "Exhaust Opening/Intake Closing" method for adjustable valve train, but I am unsure of the right way to set up an Oldsmobile with the non-adjustable stock type rocker arms. Can someone help me out with their favorite way do this job?
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Just the facts...

yes, the valves in each cylinder should be closed when installing their rocker arms and pivots. use white lithium grease on the wear points so they don't prematurely wear before the oil gets up there. an alternative would be moly lube or stp oil additive. don't forget the pushrod ***** and valve tips. torque to spec. iirc, 25 ft/lbs. consult the csm for exact specs. now is a good time to do valve seals...

bill

Last edited by BILL DEMMER; November 9th, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:34 PM

I just got he heads back form the machine shop. A very basic rebuild job. The valves and springs were reused, 8 new bronze exhaust valve guides, new seals, etc. The machinist did find two sets of freeze plugs jammed inside the water passages. He said it looked as if someone had knocked them inside the head instead of removing them. So the heads had been worked on before, he thought they used some Ford valve seals. He assured me he used all Oldsmobile parts this time around.