Problem rockers

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Problem rockers

When I rebuilt my rocket 350, I gave Mondello a call and they hooked me up with 455 BB heads, studs, pushrods, guide plates, and rockers. Instead of using the old style nut to hold down the rocker, I got a set of posi-locks. Anytime I get around 3000 rpm or so, a few times of that and I noticed a clicking sound. My rocker arms are coming loose whenever I get into high rpms. The weird thing is I only noticed it on the driver side. Also, turns out I smashed a few pushrods on that side, so I stepped to a little shorter size. I'm baffled that even with posi-locks, that are garunteed to never come loose, my rockers are still loosening up and giving me valve lash. I'm out of ideas hoping someone else had has this problem and has a solution for me.
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Make sure studs are tight in the head - one of those overly basic things that could get overlooked. Saw it happen 2 weeks ago. Double check push rod length & geometry, the fact all parts were supplied @ once is no guarantee of compatibility from this source, don't bother to ask how I know. Do you see any similarities to this http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...light=pushrods ?

Last edited by bccan; September 27th, 2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM

If you're smashing pushrods have you checked for coil bind?
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM

My rods weren't as bad as those on the other forum, but a few of them the ball tip at the end were inside the rod itself. Ill pull the cover off tomorrow and check to make sure the studs are tight. Also I had the same wear as the other guy on the forum on my rockers as well.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM

when you say that they are 'loosening up' do you mean that you can take the posi lock off by hand or that the pushrod lash is really loose? if the lash is becoming loose I would say with the damaged pushrods and on one head only the as cutlassefi said you are probably at coil bind. what lift is the cam? on most heads over .500 lift the springs can bind if the spring pocket is not cut down.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM

I got the cam from my father and he believes its .490/.490 but I found on the other forum I haven't checked the degrees on the cam or heads. I'll double check everything tomorrow morning, if it wasn't over 100deg here I would have done it today haha. And by loosening up I need to bring the rockers back down to zero lash and retighten the posi locks.

Last edited by 70special; September 27th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Just to keep you guys updated, pulled both covers off and found a loose rocker rattling on the passenger side with the ball tip of the pushrod inside the rod. I laughed a little when I saw that one. Went through and installed slightly shorter pushrods. Car seems to be running pretty clean now, didn't notice a loss of power or a clicking from valve lash either. Here's a picture of my pushrods I pulled.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us