Oh Snap!

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Oh Snap!

ok, so i am about 4 months into what is turning into the longest head gasket change in the history of Oldsmobile. I think I've hit the home stretch.

The heads are on & tightened with new head bolts, the headers are in tight, the pushrods are cleaned and replaced, the rockers are cleaned and replaced, then on to tightening down the rocker bridges. I started at the passenger side rear, and worked my way around, first with a light torque of about 15 ft/lbs. I got all the way to the last one and Snap! (see pic)

My question is, what do I do now?

Can I just use any old rocker bridge that looks decent? Can I use just one new one? Do I need to replace all of them? any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPIM0261.jpg (87.5 KB, 70 views)
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM

Just replace the one that broke,i would use a tiny bit of grease at the surface of the bridge before you put the screw in so that you are not going to twist it when tightening the screw.That is really common problem with those.
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:02 PM
car guy

I would be fine on replacing just the one but I would triple check that you don't have a binding issue somewhere. Rotate the engine so the cam is on the base circle so you are not pushing the spring down on just the one valve. That's probably what broke it.
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Thanks Panos & Richard! I just looked them up & it looks like this will be my least expensive surprise of the whole project.

"Rotate the engine so the cam is on the base circle"

Richard, could you dumb that own for me a bit? What am I looking for when I do this? What would cause a binding issue on freshly rebuilt heads? Am I just rotating the engine a little?

Thanks!
Old January 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM
car guy

basicly you want the cam off the lobe so its not trying to raise the valves. If you will rotate the engine with the pushrods in watch them go up and down. When the rod has gone down and sops moveing its now on the base circle. You want it on the compression stroke at TDC so both lobes will be on the base circle.
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:26 AM

Looks like an easy fix thank goodness.
When I hear "head gasket change" and "snap" I immediately think of broken head bolts. Glad it wasn't that.
Keep it up - you are almost there...
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:59 AM

I. too, thought headbolt - phew!
I've found it helps to go from side to side, 1or 2 revolutions, while tightening, so as not to bind the stand, not each one all the way.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Nice work hope to see you somewhere this summer!
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Past Administrator

I have heard 'snap' used as a watered down slang word, so in this case it could have been a double meaning.
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks guys! I'll give these things a try. I appreciate the clarification Richard. that was kind of where I thought you were going with it, but I just wanted to be sure.

Rickman that's a great point. I was trying to be careful, but I think what happened is that as I went around the engine, they seemed to be going so easily that I got a bit over confident on the last one. That'll learn me!

Rob & Rickman, I was petrified at the thought of a broken head bolt, so I bought the arp bolts. They are kind of expensive, but nothing compared to the headache ida had with a broken head bolt.

My biggest concern was the sensitivity of the rockers and such, I know some were score a little, while others were smooth.

Thanks Mark, I hope to catch up with you at some point too! I've been trying to connect with Jerry (toro68) as well, but it's not been easy (my fault completely).
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM

LOL yes Dan, that was kinda intentional LOL ...Biz Markie from back in the day anyone?
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:13 AM
this is not my car lol

you might have tightened one side of the bridge down too much. try to balance the load by tightening down both sides at the same time (if you have 2 ratchets ) or turn down each side a few turns back & forth.