Magnaflow for the 330 ?

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2021, 04:11 AM
Getting There

Magnaflow for the 330 ?

I’m thinking of going with a magnaflow full 2 1/2 system since I can get 20% off right now
is anyone running this ? How did the install go and do you like it ?
Old February 8th, 2021, 05:27 AM

I had the 2.5" Magnaflow kit on my 69 years ago, it fit great but the sound wasn't what I was looking for. Just personal opinion.

I changed the mid section to an H-pipe and also changed the mufflers. Kept the Magnaflow tail pipes since they fit very well.
Old February 8th, 2021, 07:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

I can't speak to fitment of the kit, but I also was underwhelmed with the sound of the one Magnaflow muffler I've bought. I always use Dynomax Turbos on my builds, but the Magnaflow Camaro muffler just fit much better under my 62 than the Dynomax (5" x 8" oval instead of the Walker's 4" x 9"). The stock 62 muffler was round - it's located crossways behind the rear axle. The Walker just hung down that much lower. The Magnaflow initially had a much more, call it "agricultural" sound than the Dynomax, especially at lower RPMs. I will say that at 3,000-3,500, it sounds amazing. Over the last ten years and 15K miles or so, the packing must have carboned up (or my hearing is getting worse), as it seems to have quieted down a little. Of course, muffler sound is a matter of personal preference; I mean, after all, some people actually LIKE (no)Flowmasters.
Old February 8th, 2021, 09:47 AM

Wes,
The MagnaFlow kits fit very well, just be aware that they only come with an X-Pipe, and with their smaller 14" muffler. If you're looking for something other than an X, both Pypes and Flowmaster offer no-muffler H-Pipe systems, and Pypes offers straight a dual system also. You could choose the style of system you want with whatever offset/offset muffler you want. Besides a 14", MagnaFlow makes an 18" and 22" to fit your Cutlass. The longer the case length, the quieter. The 22" is the quietest that MF makes. You can't go wrong with the Dynomax Super Turbo mentioned by Joe either. Absolutely wonderful sounding muffler in 14",16"& 20" versions. Again, the longer the muffler, the quieter.
There are other things to consider too. Certain mufflers have a tendency to drone more than others, usually between 1800-2400 rpm. If your final drive ratio puts you in that range during cruising, you might drone. Chambered mufflers can drone badly (FM Super 50 and 70's are pretty good though) and most straight-through mufflers can suffer from drone too depending on engine combo. MagnaFlow is a straight-through, but most people never complain of drone with them. Turbo mufflers are the best at controlling drone, hence the high approval rating. Listen to some sound clips to help you make up your mind.
https://www.classicmusclecarexhaust....motors/a-body/

Old February 8th, 2021, 10:22 AM
Getting There

Thanks for the input guys 👍
it is a stock 330 that will run off the manifolds
I listened to a Gardner exhaust clip on a 67 with a 400 which sounded nice but I couldn’t justify the cost of it .
CMCE Thanks for the link will have a listen
I don’t mind a quieter exhaust but I do enjoy a idle rumble .. 😎
Old February 8th, 2021, 10:59 AM

Wes,
FYI, to run a crossmember-back Pypes/Flowmaster/MagnaFlow system with stock SBO manifolds you'll have to have downpipes fabricated. Pypes has a 455/400 BBO downpipe (P/N-DOF10S) which is compatible with Thornton SBO headers or 350JR manifolds. Honestly, so far all of my SBO customers have followed the Thornton header/350JR manifold route with a DOF10S downpipe along with the system of their choice. Gardner makes an unbelievable system, but as you've found out, they're very expensive and really for OEM correct show cars. Waldron Exhaust also makes a front to back system that's not as expensive. Unfortunately, Walker dropped out of the A-Body business long ago. Feel free to call Classic Muscle Car Exhaust if you have any questions.