Carb. rebuild

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Carb. rebuild

I am getting set to order a carb rebuild kit for my 1964 olds 88. I have had two mech's in the last week tell me to skip the rebuild kit and get a new carb. It is not in my winter budget 'cause i was planning on a new fuel pump and electric fan. Any ideas or thoughts?
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Try a rebuilt first,you can always buy a new one. May work,worth a try.
Old November 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 442harv
try a rebuilt first,you can always buy a new one. May work,worth a try.

A Q-jet rebuilt correctly is hard to beat
Old November 27th, 2010, 02:53 PM

what is so wrong with the carb that they think it is not rebuildable? unless it is corroded beyond use the worst it could have is a loose throttle shaft. that is fixable as well. I have rebuilt some pretty rough carbs without much in the way of problems. if it is really dirty inside let it sit overnight in a strong carb cleaner and make sure to blow out all the passages really well with high pressure air.
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM

carb is in overall good shape. I am leaning strongly on a rebuild. I purchased a parts cleaning bin from a repair shop that went out of buisness and planned specifically to use it on the carb I appreciate all the opinions!
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
I am getting set to order a carb rebuild kit for my 1964 olds 88. I have had two mech's in the last week tell me to skip the rebuild kit and get a new carb. It is not in my winter budget 'cause i was planning on a new fuel pump and electric fan. Any ideas or thoughts?
I just rebuilt the carb on my 65 it made a large difference and wasn't that bad, those old 4GC's are high quality carbs.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Just about ready to order a carb rebuild kit..a few questions. Does a typical rebuilding kit cover everything I will need to get my carb back to A+? Is there anything extra I should order. If I am going to do it I might as well do it all.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Is it the original correct carb for the vehicle? With cars as old as ours many times they have been replaced over the years and in many cases with incorrect units.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM

The carb is the original. I am lucky all repairs done by the previous and first owner were documented in a three binder. It shows the carb was adjusted but never replaced or rebuilt.
Also had two mech's verify my inspection of carb.
Thanks for your reply.
George
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
Just about ready to order a carb rebuild kit..a few questions. Does a typical rebuilding kit cover everything I will need to get my carb back to A+? Is there anything extra I should order. If I am going to do it I might as well do it all.
Most good kits do come with all the gaskets seals and accelerator pump, make certain you get a kit made in America I've heard that there some foreign built kits out there that are real junk. You will need to order the top gasket for between the air cleaner and carb separate and I always get a FelPro base gasket as they are superior to anything that comes in a kit. I had to order my kit from of all places O Rielly's auto parts and it came straight from the manufacturer, it was a good complete kit but one of the gaskets didn't fit perfect out of the box but I modified it to work. Make certain you have a dip tank big enough to get the carb into, spray cleaner doesn't cut it on old carbs, you've got to soak them.
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
InfoJunkie

http://www.autoline.ca/
Follow the SHOW ME THE PARTS link. Its a Canadian company and they have 2 USA warehouses. At work we sell their product and the rebuilds are quality,with all new parts and a warranty. What you see in the picture(after the year make model search) is what the carb will look like. They also come with the air horn and base gasket.
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone. I know many horses have beed absent with the carb in the shape its in!
This is going to be a fun winter project.
Thanks again
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM

For a decent presentation of what all is involved in the carb rebuild, you may want to check this site out?

http://GrayLady.WebNG.com/carbrebuild.htm

It explains, with photos, the trials and tribs I experienced in doing a rebuild of a Rochester 4-Jet on and '55 Caddy.

Good luck, and have fun!