Cam movement (walking?)

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Cam movement (walking?)

I just swapped the timing chain in my 330 and I noticed the cam is moving. forward and back.

The chain was so loose that the cam was off by about 1 degree or so. not enough to worry about valve to piston contact but the cam does seem to be "walking"

Now I checked this with the timing cover off. The lifters don't seem to be comming off the cam journals (at least from what I can see back around #5 and 6)

What causes this and how do you fix it?
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Redog
I just swapped the timing chain in my 330 and I noticed the cam is moving. forward and back.

The chain was so loose that the cam was off by about 1 degree or so. not enough to worry about valve to piston contact but the cam does seem to be "walking"

Now I checked this with the timing cover off. The lifters don't seem to be comming off the cam journals (at least from what I can see back around #5 and 6)

What causes this and how do you fix it?
In an Olds motor, the direction of the distributor rotation and the angle of the helical distributor gear actually pull the cam into the block when the engine is running. When it's not running, backlash in the gears allows the slop you noticed.
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:55 AM

That's good to know!!

I'm still going to replace the thrust plate, but at least I know that there most likey is no cam bearing damage from this
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:27 PM

If you find a thrust plate, let us know
The cam has a flange that bears on the block surface, no plate. If the fcam moves too far forward, the nose of the bolt will hit the front cover.
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM

This isn't what I need?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/225/10002/-1

and

http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/224/10002/-1
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM

only if you have a roller cam. flat tappet cams are ground with a slight taper on the lobes. this taper makes the cam walk to the rear of the block. roller cams are ground flat so the roller rides properly so there is nothing to keep the cam in place. NO factory motors with flat tappet cam ever ran a retainer or button. in most cases you have to machine the block for the bearings and washer to fit properly. my advice is quite over thinking things.
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:21 PM

^^ so am I reading this right, No action needs to be taken
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM

My engine builder is maching my block for cloyes bearing # clo-9-220 , which is what Biill Trovolta outlines in his book " Building High Performance Olds Engines ".
I will still run the brass button on the cam bolt as I don't think a bearing on the cam bolt is needed since I am running a solid flat tappet and not a roller which would thrust the cam forward under load according to my info.
I used to use a mondello brass washer at the block since it was wore last time I switched cams and that seemed to have helped , but I think the bearing will be better.
Bill Trovolta book was released a few months ago and is very informative.

Last edited by tonycpe; February 10th, 2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add , spelling
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Do I have to buy this for piece of mind? To install it, is it more involved than removing the timing gears, then the cam bolt, then reinstalling everything?

Camshaft Thrust Button Kit
DMR-5745 Camshaft thrust button kit. Includes DMR-5740 cam bolt and bronze button, DMR-5120 cam spacer, and DMR-5040 crank spacer.

DMR-5040 Crankshaft timing gear spacer. .040 steel spacer. This spacer slides onto the crankshaft and then you install the timing gear. Corrects timing chain alignment when using DMR-5120 camshaft spacer.

DMR-5120 Bronze cam spacer .041 thick. To prevent or correct worn blocks caused by camshaft moving back and forth in block. To be used with DMR-5740 thrust button. DMR-5040 crank spacer recommended.

DMR-5740 Camshaft thrust button bolt. Stops camshaft from moving back and forth in engine, giving perfect valve timing and greater timing chain life. Includes new cam bolt and bronze button. Fits all 64-84 except diesel. DMR-5120 cam spacer is required and DMR-5040 crank spacer is recommended. If necessary, file the front of the cam bolt (not the bronze button) to achieve .004 to .005 clearance (end play) from the front cover.

Select Item at View Cart.
$56.00
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Do I have to buy this for piece of mind? To install it, is it more involved than removing the timing gears, then the cam bolt, then reinstalling everything?

A little more work than you think.

The bronze cam spacer goes at the back of the block, it gives the cam a smooth surface to ride against. You will have to remove the cam to install it.

The steel Crankshaft spacer slips onto the end of the crank to make the crankshaft timing gear match up to the now .041" further forward camshaft timing gear.

Once installed, the fuel pump eccentric and new bushing bolt are installed into the front of the camshaft.

Take a straight edge and lay it across the timing cover surface and measure between the straight edge and the bronze bushing on the cam bolt. Clearance should be .004-.005" with the timing cover gasket in place or .001" clearance without the gasket.

**Either way, it's more work than just pulling the timing gear.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Millions of these engines have suffered no ill effects from cam endplay in the nearly fifty years since 1964.

What makes you think that yours is so special that this non-problem needs to be "corrected?"

You can use your hard-earned money and your too-short time on this Earth any way you want to, but the potential for incidentally screwing something else up in the course of this "repair" is far greater than with other non-functional modifications, like chrome valve covers, and, unless you are running a race motor, the benefits should be roughly zero.
For me, this falls into the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.

- Eric
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:20 PM

You are spending a lot of time worrying about nothing. You don't need any fancy race car parts just put it back together.
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Works for me