Brake line routing - around headers

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Brake line routing - around headers

So, if I ever manage to get my headers completely installed (see the fun here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-too-high.html), I know I will need to re-route my brake lines. Attached are some pictures with the headers bolted to the heads. I'll be taking them off again to make a few minor (potentially BFH-powered) changes, but this is how they'll sit.

As you can see, I have a significant issue as the front passenger brake line touches the header in two places (at least). Too bad, though, because it is the stock location and is brand new, stainless line...

How have you header-equipped folks handled this problem? Can I route the brake line through the front cross-member or around it somehow?

The major problem is getting to the front passenger brake line mounting location without getting too close to the header. Are there any good solutions to this problem?

Should I be "thinking outside the box" and routing my passenger brake line through body or something? Maybe replace the dash trim with a nice, functional brake line???

Any help, as always, is appreciated!

-Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brake_line_driver_1.jpg (61.1 KB, 83 views)
brake_line_driver_2.jpg (96.6 KB, 78 views)
brake_line_passenger_1.jpg (95.0 KB, 65 views)
brake_line_passenger_2.jpg (81.2 KB, 68 views)
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mark71
So, if I ever manage to get my headers completely installed (see the fun here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-too-high.html), I know I will need to re-route my brake lines. Attached are some pictures with the headers bolted to the heads. I'll be taking them off again to make a few minor (potentially BFH-powered) changes, but this is how they'll sit.

As you can see, I have a significant issue as the front passenger brake line touches the header in two places (at least). Too bad, though, because it is the stock location and is brand new, stainless line...

How have you header-equipped folks handled this problem? Can I route the brake line through the front cross-member or around it somehow?

The major problem is getting to the front passenger brake line mounting location without getting too close to the header. Are there any good solutions to this problem?

Should I be "thinking outside the box" and routing my passenger brake line through body or something? Maybe replace the dash trim with a nice, functional brake line???

Any help, as always, is appreciated!

-Mark
Be creative, and by all means outside the box is probably a requirement!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Be creative, and by all means outside the box is probably a requirement!
Ok, so I think I found a way to work this out. I need a little help, though:

Can I route the brake line from the MC back to the firewall, behind (and sort of above) the distributor? I was just going to bolt it down to the firewall and then bend it down next to the AC lines to the passenger's side caliper.

Is there a risk that this location would be too hot? Should I consider wrapping it in something like thermo-sleeve?

Like this:
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:17 AM

I don't understand why your headers are so close to the crossmember. I had hookers on a 350 car and they never got that close to the frame where yours do. It's also hard to see in the pic, is it pinching the line against the frame? Or is the line just touching the header but not in a bind?

If it's not being pinched, you may be able to get away with putting a few extra insulated looms on the line to hold it to the frame in those areas. Just use self tapping screws and a small loop retainer.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I don't understand why your headers are so close to the crossmember. I had hookers on a 350 car and they never got that close to the frame where yours do. It's also hard to see in the pic, is it pinching the line against the frame? Or is the line just touching the header but not in a bind?

If it's not being pinched, you may be able to get away with putting a few extra insulated looms on the line to hold it to the frame in those areas. Just use self tapping screws and a small loop retainer.
No pinching or binding, just touching the header.

Yeah, the Hookers have a slightly smaller primary tube diameter. Plus, each manufacturer routes the primaries differently. I am honestly surprised at having to move the passenger's side brake line for the headers. It is too bad as my nice, new stainless line will have have to be removed, but I want to make sure I don't have heat issues with my lines.

But do you think it is ok to route the passenger's side line along the firewall to reach the caliper on the passenger's side?